    Freerip 2.931 or any of its components."

    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/

    FWIIW

    tiddlywink, May 2, 2005

  2. tiddlywink

    Mike Dee Guest

    "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote in

    > PC Authority:
    >
    > "The Freerip 2.931 application, featured in the Multimedia section
    > of the May 2005 disc 1

    Thanks for the alert.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 3, 2005

  3. tiddlywink

    JedMeister Guest

    "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > This is on the PC Authority (Australian PC Magazine) site:
    >
    > "The Freerip 2.931 application, featured in the Multimedia section of the
    > May 2005 disc 1 has been
    > discovered to install Download.Trojan. The application also gives you the
    > option to install Comedy-Planet
    > which also installs Trojan.dropper. We advise that you do not install
    > Freerip 2.931 or any of its components."
    >
    > http://www.pcauthority.com.au/
    >
    > FWIIW

    I found most 'free' software applications to be shite. It is either
    severely disabled or just not very good . But, fair enough, you get what you
    pay for.

    Anyone care to differ?

    JedMeister, May 3, 2005
  4. tiddlywink

    MarkH Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in

    > I found most 'free' software applications to be shite. It is either
    > severely disabled or just not very good . But, fair enough, you get
    > what you pay for.
    >
    > Anyone care to differ?

    'Most' - yes I agree.

    Definitely not all though!

    Here are some 'free' software applications that are definitely not shite:
    Virtual Dub
    XNews.
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    AVG7 Free
    Winzip
    Winamp
    IrfanView
    Mozilla
    Firefox
    RNameIt
    QuickPar
    MPlayer is my favourite media player
    Xplorer2 Lite
    Zone Alarm
    Kerio
    GSpot
    Starter
    The virus removal tools available from Symantec
    OpenOffice.org
    And heaps more.

    Yeah, I know there are hundreds of shite applications for each good
    application I can list. But my point is that there are some damn good apps
    out there which are free (free for personal use anyway).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 3, 2005
  5. tiddlywink

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 02:04:27 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >And heaps more...

    Free Agent
    Eudora
    CutePDF Writer...

    Me, May 3, 2005
  6. On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:06:46 +1200, Me <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 02:04:27 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>And heaps more...

    > Free Agent
    > Eudora
    > CutePDF Writer...

    Pricelessware is "The best of the best in Freeware as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware".

    Pricelessware information:
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org
    http://www.woundedmoon.org/PL/ (mirror)

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... For a bad cough, take a strong laxative: you won't DARE cough!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 3, 2005
  7. tiddlywink

    Jedmeister Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "JedMeister" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I found most 'free' software applications to be shite. It is either
    >> severely disabled or just not very good . But, fair enough, you get
    >> what you pay for.
    >>
    >> Anyone care to differ?

    > 'Most' - yes I agree.
    >
    > Definitely not all though!
    >

    > Here are some 'free' software applications that are definitely not shite:
    > Virtual Dub
    > XNews.
    > Ad-Aware
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > AVG7 Free
    > Winzip
    > Winamp
    > IrfanView
    > Mozilla
    > Firefox
    > RNameIt
    > QuickPar
    > MPlayer is my favourite media player
    > Xplorer2 Lite
    > Zone Alarm
    > Kerio
    > GSpot
    > Starter
    > The virus removal tools available from Symantec
    > OpenOffice.org
    > And heaps more.
    >

    > Yeah, I know there are hundreds of shite applications for each good
    > application I can list. But my point is that there are some damn good
    > apps
    > out there which are free (free for personal use anyway).
    >

    > --
    > Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    > See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 3-May-05)
    > "There are 10 types of people, those that
    > understand binary and those that don't"

    I don't know/need 1/2 those things on your list - but, winzip is not really
    free is it? They ask you to pay something but noone actually does.

    Jedmeister, May 3, 2005
  8. tiddlywink

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Jedmeister" <> wrote in

    >> Here are some 'free' software applications...

    > winzip is
    > not really free is it? They ask you to pay something but noone
    > actually does.

    It's payware AFAIK (http://www.winzip.com/ seems to say it still
    is). - Although, he did type 'free' in single quotation marks.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 3, 2005
  9. tiddlywink

    Jerry Guest

    Jedmeister wrote:

    > I don't know/need 1/2 those things on your list - but, winzip is not really
    > free is it? They ask you to pay something but noone actually does.

    Speak for yourself, it is a very useful and even essential program. I
    was happy to pay for it.

    Jerry

    Jerry, May 3, 2005
  10. tiddlywink

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Jedmeister wrote:
    >

    >> I don't know/need 1/2 those things on your list - but, winzip is not
    >> really free is it? They ask you to pay something but noone actually does.

    > Speak for yourself, it is a very useful and even essential program. I was
    > happy to pay for it.
    >
    > Jerry

    I agree, congrats!!

    Jedmeister, May 3, 2005
  11. On Tue, 3 May 2005 13:25:52 +1200, JedMeister wrote:

    > "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    >> This is on the PC Authority (Australian PC Magazine) site:
    >>
    >> "The Freerip 2.931 application, featured in the Multimedia section of the
    >> May 2005 disc 1 has been
    >> discovered to install Download.Trojan. The application also gives you the
    >> option to install Comedy-Planet
    >> which also installs Trojan.dropper. We advise that you do not install
    >> Freerip 2.931 or any of its components."
    >>
    >> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/
    >>
    >> FWIIW

    > I found most 'free' software applications to be shite. It is either
    > severely disabled or just not very good . But, fair enough, you get what you
    > pay for.
    >
    > Anyone care to differ?

    Apache - serving up shite on a large number of web servers *cough*

    wogers nemesis, May 3, 2005
  12. In message <B2Ede.3267$>, "Jedmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't know/need 1/2 those things on your list - but, winzip is not really
    >free is it? They ask you to pay something but noone actually does.

    I prefer ZipCentral, and that really is free.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, May 4, 2005
  13. tiddlywink

    A Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:06:46 +1200, Me <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 May 2005 02:04:27 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>And heaps more...

    >Free Agent
    >Eudora
    >CutePDF Writer...

    DVD Decrypter
    DVDShrink
    Linux

    A, May 4, 2005
  14. tiddlywink

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:02:27 +1200, Jerry <> wrote:

    >Jedmeister wrote:
    >

    >> I don't know/need 1/2 those things on your list - but, winzip is not really
    >> free is it? They ask you to pay something but noone actually does.

    >Speak for yourself, it is a very useful and even essential program. I
    >was happy to pay for it.

    I paid for it too, but rarely use it now as I paid or winrar too and that undoes
    zip files.

    Craig Shore, May 5, 2005
  15. tiddlywink

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 2 May 2005 23:10:22 +1200, "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz>
    wrote:

    >This is on the PC Authority (Australian PC Magazine) site:
    >
    >"The Freerip 2.931 application, featured in the Multimedia section of the
    >May 2005 disc 1 has been
    >discovered to install Download.Trojan. The application also gives you the
    >option to install Comedy-Planet
    >which also installs Trojan.dropper. We advise that you do not install
    >Freerip 2.931 or any of its components."
    >
    >http://www.pcauthority.com.au/
    >
    >FWIIW

    This doesn't appear to be on their site any more. Was it true, or did they pull
    the article because it wasn't?

    The program scans clean.

    Craig Shore, May 6, 2005