Trojan Horse

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by angler, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. angler

    angler Guest

    Have a HP pavilion a219 uk computer running XP Home edition.
    I use AVG 6 antivirus kept right up to date and scheduled to run every 24
    hours. Today it informed me that I have a virus (Trojan Horse Back Door
    Hackarmy.N) and that I should run AVG to remove it.
    AVG says it cant remove it and cant heal it. I have been to the AVG virus
    library and it says there is no virus by that name, yet it still keeps
    finding it when I run a check.
    I have restored my computer to a previous date when it was clean but the
    Trojan Horse is still present.
    The only thing I downloaded yesterday were some Smiley figures so it must
    have come from there. It also has put a new search bar under my Google
    search bar in IE 6, called "mywebsearch"
    I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of this virus. Would a
    different AV do the job. I have a disc with PC-cillin 2003. Do you think
    this would be better than AVG.
    Many thanks. jimac

    ---
    angler, Dec 14, 2003

  2. angler

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:48:18 -0000, angler wrote:

    >Have a HP pavilion a219 uk computer running XP Home edition.
    >I use AVG 6 antivirus kept right up to date and scheduled to run every 24
    >hours. Today it informed me that I have a virus (Trojan Horse Back Door
    >Hackarmy.N) and that I should run AVG to remove it.
    >AVG says it cant remove it and cant heal it. I have been to the AVG virus
    >library and it says there is no virus by that name, yet it still keeps
    >finding it when I run a check.
    >I have restored my computer to a previous date when it was clean but the
    >Trojan Horse is still present.
    >The only thing I downloaded yesterday were some Smiley figures so it must
    >have come from there. It also has put a new search bar under my Google
    >search bar in IE 6, called "mywebsearch"
    >I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of this virus. Would a
    >different AV do the job. I have a disc with PC-cillin 2003. Do you think
    >this would be better than AVG.
    >Many thanks. jimac

    http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/trojan.html

    Or try these:

    http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    "And yes, there are other, MUCH better AVs available than Norton, McAfee, and
    AVG."

    --
    "Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
    --Clifto, nanae
    Mara, Dec 14, 2003

  3. angler

    Ionizer Guest

    "angler" <> wrote in message
    > Have a HP pavilion a219 uk computer running XP Home edition.
    > I use AVG 6 antivirus kept right up to date and scheduled to run every 24
    > hours. Today it informed me that I have a virus (Trojan Horse Back Door
    > Hackarmy.N) and that I should run AVG to remove it.
    > AVG says it cant remove it and cant heal it. I have been to the AVG virus
    > library and it says there is no virus by that name, yet it still keeps
    > finding it when I run a check.
    > I have restored my computer to a previous date when it was clean but the
    > Trojan Horse is still present.
    > The only thing I downloaded yesterday were some Smiley figures so it must
    > have come from there. It also has put a new search bar under my Google
    > search bar in IE 6, called "mywebsearch"
    > I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of this virus. Would a
    > different AV do the job. I have a disc with PC-cillin 2003. Do you think
    > this would be better than AVG.
    > Many thanks. jimac

    Here's McAfee's info on that trojan:
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100723
    You will probably need to disable System Restore in order to remove it
    completely from your system.

    The "mywebsearch" thing is a separate issue- it's spyware. AdAware (free)
    should remove it: http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Dec 14, 2003
  4. angler

    angler Guest

    Many thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the various sites you sent me
    and ran the free trial from Panda. After the test I found that the Trojan
    Horse has completely gone from my computer.
    Cant thank you enough for this information and I will certainly be buying
    the Panda AV tomorrow.
    Thanks again. jimac.

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:48:18 -0000, angler wrote:
    >
    > >Have a HP pavilion a219 uk computer running XP Home edition.
    > >I use AVG 6 antivirus kept right up to date and scheduled to run every 24
    > >hours. Today it informed me that I have a virus (Trojan Horse Back Door
    > >Hackarmy.N) and that I should run AVG to remove it.
    > >AVG says it cant remove it and cant heal it. I have been to the AVG

    virus
    > >library and it says there is no virus by that name, yet it still keeps
    > >finding it when I run a check.
    > >I have restored my computer to a previous date when it was clean but the
    > >Trojan Horse is still present.
    > >The only thing I downloaded yesterday were some Smiley figures so it must
    > >have come from there. It also has put a new search bar under my Google
    > >search bar in IE 6, called "mywebsearch"
    > >I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of this virus. Would a
    > >different AV do the job. I have a disc with PC-cillin 2003. Do you think
    > >this would be better than AVG.
    > >Many thanks. jimac

    > http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/trojan.html
    >
    > Or try these:
    >
    > http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
    > http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
    >
    > "And yes, there are other, MUCH better AVs available than Norton, McAfee,

    and
    > AVG."
    >
    > --
    > "Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
    > --Clifto, nanae

    ---
    angler, Dec 14, 2003
  5. angler

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:35:05 -0000, angler wrote:

    >Many thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the various sites you sent me
    >and ran the free trial from Panda. After the test I found that the Trojan
    >Horse has completely gone from my computer.
    >Cant thank you enough for this information and I will certainly be buying
    >the Panda AV tomorrow.
    >Thanks again. jimac.

    YW. :)

    <snip>

    Mara, Dec 14, 2003
  6. angler

    °Mike° Guest

    Go for Kaspersky or eZ Antivirus.

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:35:05 -0000, in
    <s32Db.3043$>
    angler scrawled:

    >Many thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the various sites you sent me
    >and ran the free trial from Panda. After the test I found that the Trojan
    >Horse has completely gone from my computer.
    >Cant thank you enough for this information and I will certainly be buying
    >the Panda AV tomorrow.
    >Thanks again. jimac.
    >
    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:48:18 -0000, angler wrote:
    >>
    >> >Have a HP pavilion a219 uk computer running XP Home edition.
    >> >I use AVG 6 antivirus kept right up to date and scheduled to run every 24
    >> >hours. Today it informed me that I have a virus (Trojan Horse Back Door
    >> >Hackarmy.N) and that I should run AVG to remove it.
    >> >AVG says it cant remove it and cant heal it. I have been to the AVG

    >virus
    >> >library and it says there is no virus by that name, yet it still keeps
    >> >finding it when I run a check.
    >> >I have restored my computer to a previous date when it was clean but the
    >> >Trojan Horse is still present.
    >> >The only thing I downloaded yesterday were some Smiley figures so it must
    >> >have come from there. It also has put a new search bar under my Google
    >> >search bar in IE 6, called "mywebsearch"
    >> >I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of this virus. Would a
    >> >different AV do the job. I have a disc with PC-cillin 2003. Do you think
    >> >this would be better than AVG.
    >> >Many thanks. jimac

    >> http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/trojan.html
    >>
    >> Or try these:
    >>
    >> http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
    >> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
    >>
    >> "And yes, there are other, MUCH better AVs available than Norton, McAfee,

    >and
    >> AVG."
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
    >> --Clifto, nanae

    >---

    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003
  7. angler

    SlowwHand Guest

    Disable Restore, and reboot.

    SlowwHand, Dec 14, 2003
  8. angler

    tom dobson Guest

    I downloaded 'mywebsearch' and my computer is actin strange but it contains
    a lot of spyware but no virus

    tom dobson, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Anti-virus programs rarely protect against spyware/adware. So since you
    know you are infected badly, why would you not clean it up? That will
    resolve your problem.

    Tergiversative, Jan 7, 2004