    of this virus. I am using "AVG virus" software now and it seems to catch
    this virus.

    Any comment on this virus please?

    MNguyen, Jul 28, 2005

  2. MNguyen

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "MNguyen" <> wrote in
    news:NwYFe.5039$:

    > I am having problem over and over again with this "trojan virus"
    > does anyone has the same problem? What with this virus that
    > locking my "programs folder" and "windows NT" files. I had to do
    > a clean re-install to get rid of this virus. I am using "AVG
    > virus" software now and it seems to catch this virus.
    >
    > Any comment on this virus please?

    You need more protection than just an AV can provide.
    I have written some pages to help you.Keeping Windows Clean-
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    -max
    --
    "VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
    Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler

    Max Wachtel, Jul 28, 2005

  3. MNguyen

    none Guest

    How do you get this virus? If you disable the "download" within "internet
    explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the virus from getting
    in?

    none, Jul 28, 2005
  4. MNguyen

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "none" <> wrote in

    > How do you get this virus? If you disable the "download" within
    > "internet explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the
    > virus from getting in?

    No, disabling *downloads* will help but it will not stop an attack on the
    machine using IE, because there are other ways to download malware to the
    machine through IE such as ActiveX control that IE uses. You should set the
    IE setting to only use signed ActiveX controls, which can help in the
    prevention of IE executing dubious ActiveX controls.

    You can use Firefox (free) as your default browser, which is a less
    attackable browser than IE that works similarly to IE. You can use IE only
    when a site calls for the use of IE for the site to work.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 28, 2005
  5. MNguyen

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "none" <> wrote in

    > How do you get this virus?

    What "virus" are you talking about?

    > If you disable the "download" within
    > "internet explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the
    > virus from getting in?

    No

    > "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    >> "MNguyen" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I am having problem over and over again with this "trojan
    >> > virus" does anyone has the same problem? What with this virus
    >> > that locking my "programs folder" and "windows NT" files. I
    >> > had to do a clean re-install to get rid of this virus. I am
    >> > using "AVG virus" software now and it seems to catch this
    >> > virus.
    >> >
    >> > Any comment on this virus please?
    >> >

    >> You need more protection than just an AV can provide.
    >> I have written some pages to help you.Keeping Windows Clean-
    >> http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    >> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What steps have you taken so far?
    -max

    Max Wachtel, Jul 28, 2005
  6. MNguyen

    news Guest

    I have installed:
    1/ I have installed "spybot Search and destroy"
    2/ Microsoft "Antispyware"
    3/ AVG anitivirus
    set internet security "custom level" not download
    active X control prompt

    I am running windows 2000.

    I had virus attach with just AVG antivirus. Since that does not work, I
    have istalled Antispyware follow by search and destroy. I am wondering if
    that ia enough to stop this "trojan horse"?

    news, Jul 29, 2005
  7. MNguyen

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "news" <> wrote in

    > I have installed:
    > 1/ I have installed "spybot Search and destroy"
    > 2/ Microsoft "Antispyware"
    > 3/ AVG anitivirus
    > set internet security "custom level" not download
    > active X control prompt
    >
    > I am running windows 2000.
    >
    > I had virus attach with just AVG antivirus. Since that does not
    > work, I have istalled Antispyware follow by search and destroy. I
    > am wondering if that ia enough to stop this "trojan horse"?

    Read throughly the pages I wrote-

    Keeping Windows Clean-
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html

    Post back exact results from each scan.
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236

    Max Wachtel, Jul 30, 2005
  8. MNguyen

    news Guest

    Thx for the info, is this a free install? Will the software remain active
    after the virus is completely removed from the system and the software
    continue to protect the system from getting it back again?

    I am cleaning the computer again even if I have to do a clean install, I
    will. Will keep you posted.

    Thx again for responding

    news, Jul 30, 2005
  9. MNguyen

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "news" <> wrote in

    > Thx for the info, is this a free install? Will the software remain
    > active after the virus is completely removed from the system and
    > the software continue to protect the system from getting it back
    > again?
    >
    > I am cleaning the computer again even if I have to do a clean
    > install, I will. Will keep you posted.
    >
    > Thx again for responding

    *********Middle Posted For Maximum Confusion***********************

    Most of the software I have listed on my site is free for personal
    use.
    Spybot Search+Destroy has a "resident" monitor called TeaTimer and
    must be updated manually.
    Spyware Blaster runs all the time. You must update manually.
    Microsoft AntiSpyware monitors also and has an auto-update feature.
    The other programs I mention are "on-demand" scanners.These should be
    run at least once a month(I run them weekly)and need to be updated
    before each use.
    The script blockers(script defender,script sentry) run all the time.
    You should start using a more secure browser and e-mail client.
    Also you need to learn about "safe-hex".
    -max

    Max Wachtel, Jul 30, 2005
  10. MNguyen

    news Guest

    Well I have managed to keep "trojan" out using spybot _search and destroy"
    this time I also disable active X so it is a pain for now until I see how
    this is going. Last attach was with "Spy Sherrif" kept loaded on my PC
    requesting a scan. I have tried to remove "spy sherrif" several times but
    I could not unless I remove "microsoft antispyware" at the same time with
    "Spy sherrif". So look like "spy sherrif" is a problem software that is
    nesting with "antispyware"

    thx for the info again.

    news, Aug 1, 2005