Trojan horse spreads quickly through Microsoft's IM

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Au79

    lee h Guest

    lee h, Nov 20, 2007

  3. You must waste hours of your life looking for Microsoft problems to
    support your peculiar obsession.

    Why?

    Anyone who is interested can look for themselves.

    Steve Wolstenholme, Nov 20, 2007
  4. Au79

    Guest

    Steve Wolstenholme <> wrote:

    >You must waste hours of your life looking for Microsoft problems to
    >support your peculiar obsession.

    He always post these from work, so you know when he's not home. Real
    security conscious.
    --

    Dry ice bombs
    http://www.strmz.com/Clip2382

    , Nov 21, 2007
  5. Au79

    Skywarp Guest

    It's not like Linux is immune to viruses either! People moan far to
    much about windows.

    Skywarp, Nov 21, 2007
  6. Au79

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:50:43 -0800, Skywarp wrote:

    > It's not like Linux is immune to viruses either!

    LOL.

    Aardvark, Nov 21, 2007
  7. Au79

    FOG Guest

    FOG, Nov 21, 2007
  8. FOG wrote:
    > Yeah sure, if everybody was to migrate to Linux, the problem would be just
    > as bad in a month.

    Please don't. There's not enough Linux to go around.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 21, 2007
  9. Au79

    olfart Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > FOG wrote:
    >> Yeah sure, if everybody was to migrate to Linux, the problem would be
    >> just
    >> as bad in a month.

    > Please don't. There's not enough Linux to go around.

    you can have my share

    olfart, Nov 21, 2007
  10. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:eek:zJ0j.3527$:

    > Computerworld - Framingham,MA,USA
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yrl3a7
    >
    > Yet another reason to migrate to Linux.

    Again a social engineering hack as the user is presented with an unsolicited
    attachment (which you have admitted could do damage under Linux as well).

    As for your glorious 'secure' Linux maybe you can help this guy on another
    security newsgroup I follow:

    Newsgroups: grc.security.software
    Subject: Securing a Linux Web Server?
    From: Doc <>
    Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 05:11:46 -0800

    This is a rather 'broad' based question but our 'hosted' (not under my
    supervision either) web server has been breached twice (seemingly for the
    purpose of using it as a spamming server) - Linux is up to date, php is, all
    the applications are and the hosting company says it is behind a strong
    firewall. My web guy is working on this latest and trying to figure out how
    this got (script based) onto the server.

    Anyone here a 'web/linux' guru that can shed some light? Many thanks!!!!

    Doc
    --

    "Doc" in Los Angeles
    mailto:

    Fuzzy Logic, Nov 21, 2007
  11. Fuzzy Logic quoted:

    > This is a rather 'broad' based question but our 'hosted' (not under my
    > supervision either) web server has been breached twice (seemingly for
    > the purpose of using it as a spamming server) - Linux is up to date,
    > php is, all the applications are and the hosting company says it is
    > behind a strong firewall. My web guy is working on this latest and
    > trying to figure out how this got (script based) onto the server.

    A web server being used to send spam? Hell, all that needs to happen is
    for one of the web sites hosted on it to have an insecure "contact us"
    form. These are as common as flies on horse manure.

    Google around for comments on "Matt's formmail" and see what I mean. The
    nefarious spammers and their bots regularly seek copies of Matt's
    insecure (free, so in common use) perl script named "formmail.pl".

    Once found, your web server becomes a spamming machine, and the
    operating system has absolutely nothing to do with it.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 21, 2007
  12. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Nov 22, 2007
  13. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Nov 23, 2007
  14. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Au79 wrote:

    > >> http://tinyurl.com/yr34543IUl3a7
    > >>
    > >> Yet another reason to migrate to Linux.

    > > FALSE.

    > DENIAL?

    NO, just that you dont understand that 99% of the viruses/trojans are
    made to phark windows, not linux.

    One can avoid viruses/trojans with any OS by simply NOT downloading them
    in the first place. Second place, dont install them.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 25, 2007
  15. Au79

    IzzouReddy Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:06:09 -0600, Plato wrote:

    >> > FALSE.

    >> DENIAL?

    > NO, just that you dont understand that 99% of the viruses/trojans are
    > made to phark windows, not linux.

    If viruses/trojans WERE written for any flavor of Linux, being open
    source, I'm sure the exploit/vulnerablity would be patched much quickly
    than Billy Gates bothers with.

    > One can avoid viruses/trojans with any OS by simply NOT downloading them
    > in the first place. Second place, dont install them.

    Try telling that to a Newbie that knows everything. mheh.

    IzzouReddy, Nov 28, 2007