Trojan Horse HilotiAU

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Roger & Kath, Jun 21, 2010.

  1. Roger & Kath

    Roger & Kath Guest

    Hi guys

    When I run AVG Free it throws up this result

    File:-
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    Infection:-
    "Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    Result:-
    "Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"

    I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.

    Any advice on what to do about this?

    Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc

    Roger C

    Roger & Kath, Jun 21, 2010

  2. Roger & Kath

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Crossposted to the alt.comp.virus

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Jun 21, 2010

  3. Roger & Kath

    John Holmes Guest

    Roger & Kath "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi guys
    >
    > When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >
    > File:-
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    > Infection:-
    > "Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    > Result:-
    > "Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be
    > removed)"
    >
    > I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    > AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.
    >
    > Any advice on what to do about this?

    Install a fresh copy from your installation CD.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jun 21, 2010
  4. Roger & Kath

    Mike Easter Guest

    Roger & Kath wrote:

    Roger should news post with a Roger account; Kath should news post with
    a Kath account. Neither should post as if it were a two headed chimera
    with 2 sexes and 2 personas.

    > When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >
    > File:-
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    > Infection:-
    > "Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    > Result:-
    > "Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"
    >
    > I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    > AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.
    >
    > Any advice on what to do about this?

    Your big problem is that even if you didn't have this problem, you would
    never know how much is infected.

    If a critical file which is necessary is also infected, the problem is
    worse that if the infection is 'simply' an extraneous removable file.

    In preparation for the worst, you should have everything backed up so
    that you can reinstall from scratch.

    You might be able to replace the damaged critical file by running
    Windows System File Checker and see if Windows recognizes the
    damaged/infected file and replaces it with a good one.

    You might also be able to check out the accuracy of the AVG by uploading
    the file to a service such as virscan or virustotal.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2010
  5. Roger & Kath

    Charlie Guest

    "Roger & Kath" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    >
    > When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >
    > File:-
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    > Infection:-
    > "Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    > Result:-
    > "Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"
    >
    > I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    > AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.
    >
    > Any advice on what to do about this?
    >
    > Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc
    >
    > Roger C

    I suggest you go to Google and do search for Hiloti.AU. You will find lots
    of pertinent information about this trojan.

    Charlie

    Charlie, Jun 21, 2010
  6. Roger & Kath

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:38:45 +0100, "Roger & Kath"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi guys
    >>
    >>When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >>
    >>File:-
    >>"C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    >>Infection:-
    >>"Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    >>Result:-
    >>"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be
    >>removed)"
    >>
    >>I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    >>AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.
    >>
    >>Any advice on what to do about this?
    >>
    >>Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc

    > What's the file size, date and time of userinit.exe ?
    > (Go to start, run, Cmd <Enter> and type
    > dir C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe <enter>
    >
    > Could be a false positive, or could in fact be a trojan.

    You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid,
    nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an
    ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you.
    You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land
    that reality forgot.

    --
    People say that you are the perfect idiot. I say that you are not
    perfect, but you are doing alright.

    John Holmes, Jun 21, 2010
  7. Roger & Kath

    Peter Foldes Guest

    >Roger should news post with a Roger account; Kath should news post with a Kath
    >account. Neither should post as if it were a two headed chimera with 2 sexes and 2
    >personas.

    Mike

    That statement from you Mike is wrong. If a couple wants to post as (2 names) then
    by all means . Nothing wrong with that. It is done all over the net in all
    newsgroups.

    BTW. I bottom posted this time to make you happy but this is one and only time I
    will. I been top posting since 93 and I am not about to change. I have no time
    reading novels when people do not cut\snip and include up to 20 posts inside a post
    with a one liner for an response

    Peter Foldes, Jun 21, 2010
  8. Roger & Kath

    Roger & Kath Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:38:45 +0100, "Roger & Kath"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi guys
    >>
    >>When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >>
    >>File:-
    >>"C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    >>Infection:-
    >>"Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    >>Result:-
    >>"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"
    >>
    >>I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    >>AVG doesn't remove it like it does the other things it finds.
    >>
    >>Any advice on what to do about this?
    >>
    >>Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc

    > What's the file size, date and time of userinit.exe ?

    File details are:
    userinit
    Size 25kb
    date created 28/02/2006 13.00.00
    date modified 20/06/2010 08.14.14

    described as a Bluetooth Application

    Roger C

    Roger & Kath, Jun 21, 2010
  9. From: "Peter Foldes" <>

    >> When I run AVG Free it throws up this result

    >> File:-
    >> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    >> Infection:-
    >> "Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    >> Result:-
    >> "Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"

    >> I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    >> AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.

    >> Any advice on what to do about this?

    >> Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc

    >> Roger C

    I'm wondering if it is a detection on "Userinit.exe" set in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit or if the entry..

    which should be...
    Userinit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

    is...
    Userinit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe, malware_file

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jun 21, 2010
  10. Roger & Kath

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:51:50 -0400, Peter Foldes wrote:

    > Crossposted to the alt.comp.virus

    What's that, your sig file, you top-posting fuckwit?

    Aardvark, Jun 21, 2010
  11. Roger & Kath

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:10:21 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:38:45 +0100, "Roger & Kath"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi guys
    >>>
    >>>When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >>>
    >>>File:-
    >>>"C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    >>>Infection:-
    >>>"Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    >>>Result:-
    >>>"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be
    >>>removed)"
    >>>
    >>>I've never heard of "Object is white-listed " AVG doesn't remove it
    >>>lioke it does the other things it finds.
    >>>
    >>>Any advice on what to do about this?
    >>>
    >>>Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc

    >> What's the file size, date and time of userinit.exe ? (Go to start,
    >> run, Cmd <Enter> and type dir C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe <enter>
    >>
    >> Could be a false positive, or could in fact be a trojan.

    > You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid,
    > nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an
    > ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you.
    > You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land
    > that reality forgot.

    LOL Good ol' Berserker, eh?

    Aardvark, Jun 21, 2010
  12. Roger & Kath

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > <my cite>

    >> Roger should news post with a Roger account; Kath should news post
    >> with a Kath account. Neither should post as if it were a two headed
    >> chimera with 2 sexes and 2 personas.

    > That statement from you Mike is wrong.

    I have an opinion, you have an opinion.

    > If a couple wants to post as (2
    > names) then by all means.

    The couple isn't posting as a couple (sitting there together typing on
    the keyboard like a piano duet). Roger is posting. The entity isn't a
    RogerKath like a Brundlefly in The Fly.

    aioe accounts are free. It is not like Roger (or Kath or the RogerKath
    joint bank account) is saving any money by having only one news account
    at aioe.

    > Nothing wrong with that. It is done all over
    > the net in all newsgroups.

    We often 'speak' to or about someone - like you called me Mike or I
    might say 'he' said about Roger. That doesn't work for the cutesy
    little 'Roger & Kath'. When Roger & Kath do something as a couple, like
    sign a birthday card, they can sign it Roger and Kath. When Roger posts
    to a newsgroup as Roger, he should have an account with a one name
    handle, preferable a handle that isn't gender ambiguous. Roger or Roger
    C would be a good choice.

    > BTW. I bottom posted

    I do not recommend untrimmed noncontextualizd bottom or top posting. I
    recommend trimming and posting in context.

    For some reason, top posters only think in terms of untrimmed
    noncontextualized posting, bottom or top.

    Top posters need to start trimming and contextualizing, not 'bottom
    posting' untrimmed.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2010
  13. Roger & Kath

    Mike Easter Guest

    DT Lemons wrote:

    > "Roger & Kath"
    >
    >> Any advice on what to do about this?

    > I'm thinking...GET A MAC

    Or use the OP's same hardware and install a linux distro which you can
    configure to look like a Mac OS X desktop. All free.

    .... or you can configure a linux distro to look like an XP desktop if he
    likes that better.

    .... except it - the linux XP look-alike - isn't subject to all this
    nasty malware and it is cheaper to do that than to buy Mac hardware/OS
    and then also buy Mac software apps. That Mac stuff is expensive.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2010
  14. Roger & Kath

    Mike Easter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > Mike Easter
    >
    >> The couple isn't posting as a couple (sitting there together typing on
    >> the keyboard like a piano duet). Roger is posting. The entity isn't a
    >> RogerKath like a Brundlefly in The Fly.

    > How do you know they aren't conjoined twins?

    Let me count the ways.

    First, some couples are 'notorious' for being so gobbled up with their
    togetherness that they can't see to realize that sometimes they actually
    function as a single individual thinking independently, not as a couple
    -- such as posting to a newsgroup.

    Second, conjoined twins - so-called 'Siamese twins' - are conjoined
    identical twins. Identical means twins which came from the same egg,
    which egg has a complement of sex chromosomes making the conjoined
    individuals of the same sex, not one male and one female.

    Examples: famous (circus) conjoined twins of the past, males Chang and
    Eng, females Millie and Christine McCoy - the Two Headed Nightingale.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2010
  15. Roger & Kath

    Jordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> Mike Easter
    >>
    >>> The couple isn't posting as a couple (sitting there together typing
    >>> on the keyboard like a piano duet). Roger is posting. The entity
    >>> isn't a RogerKath like a Brundlefly in The Fly.

    >> How do you know they aren't conjoined twins?

    > Let me count the ways.
    >
    > First, some couples are 'notorious' for being so gobbled up with their
    > togetherness that they can't see to realize that sometimes they actually
    > function as a single individual thinking independently, not as a couple
    > -- such as posting to a newsgroup.
    >
    > Second, conjoined twins - so-called 'Siamese twins' - are conjoined
    > identical twins. Identical means twins which came from the same egg,
    > which egg has a complement of sex chromosomes making the conjoined
    > individuals of the same sex, not one male and one female.
    >
    > Examples: famous (circus) conjoined twins of the past, males Chang and
    > Eng, females Millie and Christine McCoy - the Two Headed Nightingale.

    CtS and RtS?

    Jordon, Jun 21, 2010
  16. Roger & Kath

    Jordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    > > <my cite>

    >>> Roger should news post with a Roger account; Kath should news post
    >>> with a Kath account. Neither should post as if it were a two headed
    >>> chimera with 2 sexes and 2 personas.

    >> That statement from you Mike is wrong.

    > I have an opinion, you have an opinion.
    >
    >> If a couple wants to post as (2 names) then by all means.

    > The couple isn't posting as a couple (sitting there together typing on
    > the keyboard like a piano duet). Roger is posting. The entity isn't a
    > RogerKath like a Brundlefly in The Fly.
    >
    > aioe accounts are free. It is not like Roger (or Kath or the RogerKath
    > joint bank account) is saving any money by having only one news account
    > at aioe.
    >
    > > Nothing wrong with that. It is done all over
    >> the net in all newsgroups.

    > We often 'speak' to or about someone - like you called me Mike or I
    > might say 'he' said about Roger. That doesn't work for the cutesy little
    > 'Roger & Kath'. When Roger & Kath do something as a couple, like sign a
    > birthday card, they can sign it Roger and Kath. When Roger posts to a
    > newsgroup as Roger, he should have an account with a one name handle,
    > preferable a handle that isn't gender ambiguous. Roger or Roger C would
    > be a good choice.
    >
    >> BTW. I bottom posted

    > I do not recommend untrimmed noncontextualizd bottom or top posting. I
    > recommend trimming and posting in context.
    >
    > For some reason, top posters only think in terms of untrimmed
    > noncontextualized posting, bottom or top.
    >
    > Top posters need to start trimming and contextualizing, not 'bottom
    > posting' untrimmed.

    When top posters use a sig delimiter, like this bozo, trimming
    is taken care of by anyone that responds to his posts. All
    that's left is his response. And no matter how many people point
    it out to him, he continues to do it and always says that any
    news reader that removes text (that shouldn't be removed), is
    faulty. And he uses Outlook Express.

    Jordon, Jun 21, 2010
  17. Roger & Kath

    John Holmes Guest

    Aardvark "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:10:21 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> What's the file size, date and time of userinit.exe ? (Go to start,
    >>> run, Cmd <Enter> and type dir C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

    <enter>

    >>> Could be a false positive, or could in fact be a trojan.

    >> You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid,
    >> nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an
    >> ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with

    you.
    >> You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a

    land
    >> that reality forgot.

    > LOL Good ol' Berserker, eh?

    No, that was just a copy/paste from an insult.txt file...

    ;-)

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jun 21, 2010
  18. Roger & Kath <> via

    > Hi guys
    >
    > When I run AVG Free it throws up this result
    >
    > File:-
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe";
    > Infection:-
    > "Trojan horse Hiloti.AU"
    > Result:-
    > "Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be
    > removed)"
    >
    > I've never heard of "Object is white-listed "
    > AVG doesn't remove it lioke it does the other things it finds.
    >
    > Any advice on what to do about this?
    >
    > Running Windows WP plus the service packs etc
    >
    > Roger C

    Well, I'm running AVG Free on one of my WinXP-Pro SP3
    workstations; it's totally up-to-date; and AVG is totally
    up-to-date; and I just ran a scan of C:\, and it is NOT
    tagging any system files; false or otherwise...

    HTH

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and this message
    is assembled for your education and entertainment

    So "happy" to see her:

    http://vimeo.com/12280336

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 21, 2010
  19. Roger & Kath

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:22:59 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Aardvark "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:10:21 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <enter>

    >>> You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid,
    >>> nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an
    >>> ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with

    > you.
    >>> You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a

    > land
    >>> that reality forgot.

    >> LOL Good ol' Berserker, eh?
    >>

    > No, that was just a copy/paste from an insult.txt file...
    >
    > ;-)

    Win some, lose some, eh mate?

    Aardvark, Jun 22, 2010
  20. Roger & Kath

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Yep, if you have a problem with the response being removed by my sig delimiter then
    you have a problem with your setup on your newsreader.
    I started Beta testing OE4 all the way up to OE6 on the MS Beta team among many
    other things and titles and buddy if you have a problem with your newsreader then
    you have it setup incorrectly.
    Next time snip all text that is not necessary. That is the first thing you need to
    learn. Also when you get to be at my level in computing then I will show respect
    towards you but until then as they say in Plain English "Shut the F**k up".

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jordon" <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message