Trixbox voice message for diverted calls

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Alister, Oct 25, 2007.

  1. Alister

    Alister Guest

    Hi,

    This may be a question with a simple answer, but i would be grateful
    for any help.

    We run a trixbox connected to the PSTN through voiptalk. On occasions
    we need to divert incoming calls
    for local extensions to mobile phone numbers for people out of the
    office.

    The problem is that when someone rings a direct line for the diverted
    extension, all they hear is ring tone
    while the call is routed from voiptalk to the trixbox and then out to
    the mobile provider and then to the
    mobile phone. This can be upwards of 20 rings before the phone is
    connected, and we are finding
    that callers give up and hang up before the mobile has started
    ringing.

    Is there any way that trixbox can play an audio message along the
    lines of "your call is being diverted,
    please hold the line" instead of just giving ring tone?

    Call diversion to the mobiles is done using *72 in the normal way, but
    I cannot see any way of setting
    this to provide a voice prompt.

    I hasten to add that whilst not a complete newbie, I would be first to
    admit ignorance of the finer details
    of trixbox and asterisk, and what I want may seem obvious to the rest
    of you.

    Any help gratefully received,

    Thanks in advance

    Alister.
    Alister, Oct 25, 2007

  2. Alister

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Alister wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This may be a question with a simple answer, but i would be grateful
    > for any help.
    >
    > We run a trixbox connected to the PSTN through voiptalk. On occasions
    > we need to divert incoming calls
    > for local extensions to mobile phone numbers for people out of the
    > office.
    >
    > The problem is that when someone rings a direct line for the diverted
    > extension, all they hear is ring tone
    > while the call is routed from voiptalk to the trixbox and then out to
    > the mobile provider and then to the
    > mobile phone. This can be upwards of 20 rings before the phone is
    > connected, and we are finding
    > that callers give up and hang up before the mobile has started
    > ringing.
    >
    > Is there any way that trixbox can play an audio message along the
    > lines of "your call is being diverted,
    > please hold the line" instead of just giving ring tone?
    >
    > Call diversion to the mobiles is done using *72 in the normal way, but
    > I cannot see any way of setting
    > this to provide a voice prompt.

    Follow me might be more suitable as you can set an announcment for the
    caller
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 25, 2007

  3. Alister

    Alister Guest

    On Oct 25, 6:42 pm, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > Alister wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > This may be a question with a simple answer, but i would be grateful
    > > for any help.

    > > We run a trixbox connected to the PSTN through voiptalk. On occasions
    > > we need to divert incoming calls
    > > for local extensions to mobile phone numbers for people out of the
    > > office.

    > > The problem is that when someone rings a direct line for the diverted
    > > extension, all they hear is ring tone
    > > while the call is routed from voiptalk to the trixbox and then out to
    > > the mobile provider and then to the
    > > mobile phone. This can be upwards of 20 rings before the phone is
    > > connected, and we are finding
    > > that callers give up and hang up before the mobile has started
    > > ringing.

    > > Is there any way that trixbox can play an audio message along the
    > > lines of "your call is being diverted,
    > > please hold the line" instead of just giving ring tone?

    > > Call diversion to the mobiles is done using *72 in the normal way, but
    > > I cannot see any way of setting
    > > this to provide a voice prompt.

    > Follow me might be more suitable as you can set an announcment for the
    > caller- Hide quoted text -

    Yes, I agree in the normal course of events that may be true.

    Unfortunately, I already have follow me set to ring a ring group of
    associated local phones for these extensions, and
    don't want to mess with that.

    Also, ideally this should be something that individual users can set
    from their phone (like divert) without bothering
    me every time they want to leave the office!

    Thanks for your suggestion,

    Alister
    Alister, Oct 26, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Alister <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >This may be a question with a simple answer, but i would be grateful
    >for any help.
    >
    >We run a trixbox connected to the PSTN through voiptalk. On occasions
    >we need to divert incoming calls
    >for local extensions to mobile phone numbers for people out of the
    >office.
    >
    >The problem is that when someone rings a direct line for the diverted
    >extension, all they hear is ring tone
    >while the call is routed from voiptalk to the trixbox and then out to
    >the mobile provider and then to the
    >mobile phone. This can be upwards of 20 rings before the phone is
    >connected, and we are finding
    >that callers give up and hang up before the mobile has started
    >ringing.

    This suggests that there is a problem/fault somewhere, however I
    don't know how trixbox handles this (I do custom dialplans in
    asterisk rather than use pre-canned ones)

    But it could be that dialling the mobile does indeed take a long time -
    I presume you've tried it from the trixbox directly via voiptalk?

    >Is there any way that trixbox can play an audio message along the
    >lines of "your call is being diverted,
    >please hold the line" instead of just giving ring tone?

    Not hard to do, (in a custom written asterisk dialplan) but it requires
    the asterisk to answer the call, thus immediately incuring call charges
    to the caller at that point.

    >Call diversion to the mobiles is done using *72 in the normal way, but
    >I cannot see any way of setting
    >this to provide a voice prompt.

    I don't know enough about tricbox to advise how this is done there, what
    I'd suggest is seeing what trixbox/freepbx forums, etc. are avalable
    and asking there for the specifics.

    >I hasten to add that whilst not a complete newbie, I would be first to
    >admit ignorance of the finer details
    >of trixbox and asterisk, and what I want may seem obvious to the rest
    >of you.

    I went down the custom dialplan route to give me finer control
    over the system - bit of a steep learning curve, but it's been
    well worth it in the long run.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Oct 26, 2007