Tripods

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Miller, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
    head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
    new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
    CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
    generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
    Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
    with a link to the following:

    http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2115

    I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
    lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
    or ball heads.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jun 8, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Eric Miller

    Rich Guest

    On Jun 8, 12:20 pm, "Eric Miller" <>
    wrote:
    > On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
    > head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
    > new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
    > CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
    > generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
    > Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
    > with a link to the following:
    >
    > http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2115
    >
    > I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    > generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
    > lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
    > or ball heads.
    >
    > Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com


    They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.
    Rich, Jun 8, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Eric Miller

    Pudentame Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 12:20 pm, "Eric Miller" <>
    > wrote:
    >> On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
    >> head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
    >> new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
    >> CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
    >> generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
    >> Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
    >> with a link to the following:
    >>
    >> http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2115
    >>
    >> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    >> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
    >> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
    >> or ball heads.
    >>
    >> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

    >
    > They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.
    >


    TANSTAAFL ... you gets whats youse pays for.
    Pudentame, Jun 8, 2007
    #3
  4. "Eric Miller" <> wrote:

    > I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    > generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth
    > the lower price).


    That pretty well sums up my experience with that exact CF92 tripod. But
    it's only a good value if you have a clear understand what you are and
    are not buying.

    I use it with a Markins Q3 head when I want to reduce my carry weight
    for occasional field and tourist use. This ain't a bargain Gitzo; its
    finish and finish are inline with the price you pay. I don't demand
    (nor would I expect) it to stand up to the day-to-day rigors of
    professional use.

    I don't have one of their tripod heads, but they seem to be very
    similar to the Benro heads offered regularly on eBay.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --
    Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email
    address only to submit mail for evaluation.
    Michael Benveniste, Jun 8, 2007
    #4
  5. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    >>> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    >>> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth
    >>> the
    >>> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their
    >>> tripods
    >>> or ball heads.
    >>>
    >>> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

    >>
    >> They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.
    >>

    >
    > TANSTAAFL ... you gets whats youse pays for.


    It's a nice adage, but I do get a free lunch every once in a while and I
    have a surprisingly good ball head that I paid $50 for new (different
    manufacturer). However, the price for just the tripod legs is $113, not
    exactly free. Realistically, the carbon fiber component of this tripod is
    probably 9 tubes in three sizes. What does that part of the tripod add to
    the cost of production? Years ago, anything CF was expensive. Now there are
    plenty of inexpensive items with CF components. Surely the cost of
    manufacturing CF stuff has come down. Why hasn't the cost of CF tripods come
    down? What exactly is so expensive about manufacturing the tripod if not CF
    tubes? The rest is just some machined metal parts. Is this a manufacturer
    that sees a way to market similar products at a significantly reduced price
    thanks to the cheaper availability of the same components, is it just a
    bunch of cheap crap or is it somewhere in between: a decent quality product
    but not the best?

    Just some thoughts and general questions. One thing I did notice when I
    looked around that site some is that they have a taller aluminum tripod that
    actually weighs less than the CF one.

    Oh, and did a quick search and see that I can buy all the CF tubes needed to
    make a tripod this height for about $75 retail. Surely a tripod manufacturer
    can get the tubes for a fourth of that price. Of course, this also begs the
    question about aluminum tripod prices too assuming that aluminum tubes are
    as dirt cheap as I imagine they must be.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jun 8, 2007
    #5
  6. "Eric Miller" <> wrote in message
    news:4Ziai.936$...
    >>>> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    >>>> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth
    >>>> the
    >>>> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their
    >>>> tripods
    >>>> or ball heads.
    >>>>
    >>>> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com
    >>>
    >>> They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.
    >>>

    >>
    >> TANSTAAFL ... you gets whats youse pays for.

    >
    > It's a nice adage, but I do get a free lunch every once in a while and I
    > have a surprisingly good ball head that I paid $50 for new (different
    > manufacturer). However, the price for just the tripod legs is $113, not
    > exactly free. Realistically, the carbon fiber component of this tripod is
    > probably 9 tubes in three sizes. What does that part of the tripod add to
    > the cost of production? Years ago, anything CF was expensive. Now there
    > are plenty of inexpensive items with CF components. Surely the cost of
    > manufacturing CF stuff has come down. Why hasn't the cost of CF tripods
    > come down? What exactly is so expensive about manufacturing the tripod if
    > not CF tubes? The rest is just some machined metal parts. Is this a
    > manufacturer that sees a way to market similar products at a significantly
    > reduced price thanks to the cheaper availability of the same components,
    > is it just a bunch of cheap crap or is it somewhere in between: a decent
    > quality product but not the best?
    >
    > Just some thoughts and general questions. One thing I did notice when I
    > looked around that site some is that they have a taller aluminum tripod
    > that actually weighs less than the CF one.
    >
    > Oh, and did a quick search and see that I can buy all the CF tubes needed
    > to make a tripod this height for about $75 retail. Surely a tripod
    > manufacturer can get the tubes for a fourth of that price. Of course, this
    > also begs the question about aluminum tripod prices too assuming that
    > aluminum tubes are as dirt cheap as I imagine they must be.
    >

    What amazes me is the great difference in steadiness when I compare set up
    tripods in a camera store. Some are really unsteady and others are much
    firmer.....I think I would make sure the one I was interested in was steady
    before I bought it. (Although the $113 price for that carbon fiber pod is so
    cheap that you can hardly go wrong by taking a chance.)
    William Graham, Jun 8, 2007
    #6
  7. "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Jun 8, 12:20 pm, "Eric Miller" <>
    > wrote:
    >> On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my
    >> tripod
    >> head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
    >> new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen
    >> 190
    >> CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I
    >> was
    >> generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
    >> Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands
    >> once
    >> with a link to the following:
    >>
    >> http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2115
    >>
    >> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    >> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
    >> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their
    >> tripods
    >> or ball heads.
    >>
    >> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

    >
    > They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.


    You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay. Not directly
    from their ebay store on a "buy it now" but for a regular bid item. I got
    this set of legs for $ 20.50
    http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2620 and this ball head
    for 21.00
    http://www.amvona.com/?keyword=ath-...1&p_sdesc=1&p_desc=1&p_spec=1&p_sku=1&cid=all.
    At these prices, you can't go wrong. I never used a tripod before, if I
    find myself using this set-up more-and-more then maybe the time will come to
    pony up for a better quality setup. For the time being, this set-up will be
    fine.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 9, 2007
    #7
  8. Eric Miller

    Pudentame Guest

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

    >
    > You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay.


    I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods from Manfrotto/Bogen
    and Gitzo, why would I?
    Pudentame, Jun 9, 2007
    #8
  9. Eric Miller

    Alan Browne Guest

    Eric Miller wrote:
    > On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
    > head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
    > new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
    > CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
    > generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
    > Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
    > with a link to the following:
    >
    > http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2115
    >
    > I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
    > generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
    > lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
    > or ball heads.


    Never heard of them, so wish them well. I would hope they would pick an
    area to be really good at, excel, and pose a competitive challenge to
    the others...

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Jun 9, 2007
    #9
  10. "Pudentame" <> wrote in message
    news:466a1d9e$0$11837$...
    > Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay.

    >
    > I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods from Manfrotto/Bogen
    > and Gitzo, why would I?


    I wasn't suggesting that you do.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 10, 2007
    #10
  11. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Pudentame wrote:
    > Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay.

    >
    >
    > I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods from Manfrotto/Bogen
    > and Gitzo, why would I?


    How do you know that they are sturdier? Please relate your experience.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jun 10, 2007
    #11
  12. Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >Pudentame wrote:
    >> Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them
    >>> on ebay.

    >> I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods
    >> from Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo, why would I?

    >
    >How do you know that they are sturdier? Please relate your experience.


    Play with a couple "Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo" tripods
    for about 10 minutes each. You'll be convinced!

    The hard part is selecting between various higher end
    tripods in any given category.

    The obvious breaking point is that Gitzo is reputed to
    be worth the significant extra cost, but unless a person
    uses a tripod every day it may be difficult to either
    justify that initially or to later even verify the extra
    value in use. (On the other hand, people who do use a
    tripod every day virtually all extol the virtues of
    Gitzo; hence, it is safe to assume the extra value is
    there.)

    For some it is *essential* to get the last bit of
    performance out of a tripod, and the best Gitzo match is
    what they do need. Just as obviously some people need
    to get the last bit of performance out of their dollar
    bills, and Gitzo tripods are not the best bang for the
    buck if the tripod is rarely if ever stressed to its
    limits.

    For those who are truly serious though, this article
    expresses a valid view

    <http://www.bythom.com/support.htm>

    It can be summed up in one quote:

    "Thom's Maxim #2: You can spend US$1700 to buy a good
    tripod and head, or you can spend US$1000 and do the
    same thing. (Corollary: eventually you'll do one or
    the other.)"

    Thom Hogan does not recommend even the Manfrotto/Bogen
    tripods, much less any of the lesser ones. Gitzo carbon
    fiber is the only way. Kirk or Swiss Arca ballheads are
    also the only way. From his point of view that is quite
    correct.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Jun 10, 2007
    #12
  13. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >
    >>Pudentame wrote:
    >>
    >>>Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them
    >>>>on ebay.
    >>>
    >>>I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods
    >>>from Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo, why would I?

    >>
    >>How do you know that they are sturdier? Please relate your experience.

    >
    >
    > Play with a couple "Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo" tripods
    > for about 10 minutes each. You'll be convinced!
    >
    > The hard part is selecting between various higher end
    > tripods in any given category.
    >
    > The obvious breaking point is that Gitzo is reputed to
    > be worth the significant extra cost, but unless a person
    > uses a tripod every day it may be difficult to either
    > justify that initially or to later even verify the extra
    > value in use. (On the other hand, people who do use a
    > tripod every day virtually all extol the virtues of
    > Gitzo; hence, it is safe to assume the extra value is
    > there.)
    >
    > For some it is *essential* to get the last bit of
    > performance out of a tripod, and the best Gitzo match is
    > what they do need. Just as obviously some people need
    > to get the last bit of performance out of their dollar
    > bills, and Gitzo tripods are not the best bang for the
    > buck if the tripod is rarely if ever stressed to its
    > limits.
    >
    > For those who are truly serious though, this article
    > expresses a valid view
    >
    > <http://www.bythom.com/support.htm>
    >
    > It can be summed up in one quote:
    >
    > "Thom's Maxim #2: You can spend US$1700 to buy a good
    > tripod and head, or you can spend US$1000 and do the
    > same thing. (Corollary: eventually you'll do one or
    > the other.)"
    >
    > Thom Hogan does not recommend even the Manfrotto/Bogen
    > tripods, much less any of the lesser ones. Gitzo carbon
    > fiber is the only way. Kirk or Swiss Arca ballheads are
    > also the only way. From his point of view that is quite
    > correct.
    >


    Some interesting facts. I guess you missed my point that one who lacks a
    basis for comparison cannot make a valid one. I now own two
    Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and am very satisfied; I know they are good.
    What I am wondering is the quality of the tripod linked to in my
    original post. So I pose the question to you also, what is your
    experience with it and how does it compare to the tripods you mentioned?

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jun 11, 2007
    #13
  14. Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >>>Pudentame wrote:
    >>>>I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods
    >>>>from Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo, why would I?
    >>>
    >>>How do you know that they are sturdier? Please relate your experience.

    >>
    >> Play with a couple "Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo" tripods
    >> for about 10 minutes each. You'll be convinced!
    >>
    >> The hard part is selecting between various higher end
    >> tripods in any given category.
    >>
    >> The obvious breaking point is that Gitzo is reputed to
    >> be worth the significant extra cost, but unless a person
    >> uses a tripod every day it may be difficult to either
    >> justify that initially or to later even verify the extra
    >> value in use. (On the other hand, people who do use a
    >> tripod every day virtually all extol the virtues of
    >> Gitzo; hence, it is safe to assume the extra value is
    >> there.)
    >>
    >> For some it is *essential* to get the last bit of
    >> performance out of a tripod, and the best Gitzo match is
    >> what they do need. Just as obviously some people need
    >> to get the last bit of performance out of their dollar
    >> bills, and Gitzo tripods are not the best bang for the
    >> buck if the tripod is rarely if ever stressed to its
    >> limits.
    >>
    >> For those who are truly serious though, this article
    >> expresses a valid view
    >>
    >> <http://www.bythom.com/support.htm>
    >>
    >> It can be summed up in one quote:
    >>
    >> "Thom's Maxim #2: You can spend US$1700 to buy a good
    >> tripod and head, or you can spend US$1000 and do the
    >> same thing. (Corollary: eventually you'll do one or
    >> the other.)"
    >>
    >> Thom Hogan does not recommend even the Manfrotto/Bogen
    >> tripods, much less any of the lesser ones. Gitzo carbon
    >> fiber is the only way. Kirk or Swiss Arca ballheads are
    >> also the only way. From his point of view that is quite
    >> correct.

    >
    >Some interesting facts. I guess you missed my point that
    >one who lacks a basis for comparison cannot make a valid
    >one.


    I didn't miss that at all. My point is that lacking
    such basis, we can defer to those who can make valid
    comparisons. Which is why I defer to people like Hogan.

    >I now own two Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and am very
    >satisfied; I know they are good.


    "How do you know that they are sturdier? Please relate
    your experience."

    Have you ever used a Gitzo? Do you use a tripod
    virtually every day, every week or once a month?

    I'm suggesting that *I* do not have the experience to
    make valid comparisons, and you have not indicated that
    you do either. I also commented on the limits of
    typical experience, and exactly where it ceases to be
    effective. Which is why I posted a cite for something
    by a person who does have the experience.

    >What I am wondering is
    >the quality of the tripod linked to in my original
    >post. So I pose the question to you also, what is your
    >experience with it and how does it compare to the
    >tripods you mentioned?


    I have no desire to spend $1700 to get $1000 worth of
    tripod. Nor do I want to spend $17,000 to make sure
    that Gitzo really is better than 30 or so other tripods.

    The mechanism I chose to avoid that sort of expenditure
    is to do research and find people who make comparisons
    that I trust. I trust Thom Hogan's experience. It
    lines up point for point with what experience I do have.
    It also lines up with the experiences of others that I
    trust.

    If someone is a position to do simple testing of any
    given tripod, and does *not* have the need to be
    absolute positive they get the best... then perhaps
    visiting a store that sells some given model will
    provide sufficient opportunity. I doubt it, and it makes
    no difference to me personally because I simply cannot
    physically visit a store that sells any tripods!

    As I noted, if one is not totally obsessed with getting
    the most out of a tripod, then Manfrotto/Bogen is
    certainly a good tripod for the dollar. If the best
    tripod is essential, spend the money and get a Gitzo.

    If a person wants to spend $1700 getting $1000 worth of
    tripod, they should consider something cheaper to start
    with. It's a wonderful learning experience, apparently.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Jun 11, 2007
    #14
  15. Eric Miller

    Mike Russell Guest

    I've been looking for a lighter replacement for my trusty Bogen/Manfrotto,
    which is about 7 pounds including head. It's rock solid, a little too heavy
    to carry most of the time, but more importantly it has to be disassembled to
    fit in my suitcase. There are so many choices it's ridiculous.

    First, a couple of interesting links:

    The Rosetta stone: a table of tripods and features:
    http://www.wohlberg.net/public/photo/tripods.html

    A review of the Velbon Carmagne 640, and a table comparing specs of similar
    tripods
    http://bayimages.net/tech/equipment/velbon-el-carmagne-640.html

    ----------------------------------------------------
    Here are some tripods I've evaluated, the number of stars indicate how much
    I liked the tripod, regardless of price. I examined some of these at the
    store, and relied on combing user discussions for the rest. Right now, my
    favorite pick is the Slik Pro 614 CF, a reasonably light tripod that costs
    300 US dollars legs only.

    I'm mainly looking at four section carbon fiber tripods, max weight 3 lbs
    w/o head, max length 24 inches, preferably 18 inches. In checking them out
    I've stumbled across some interesting aluminum ones.

    I did look at the lighter weight Gitzo tripods - 1500 series, and some of
    the bogen tripods - beautifully built, but I was surprised at how relatively
    flexible they were - nothing like my good old Bogen. After reading so many
    rave reviews of Gitzos, frankly I expected something rock solid, and seeing
    this kind of flexibility soured me on the price tag, and made me consider
    other, less expensive tripods.

    ULTRALUXISF Velbon Ultra LUXiSF Compact Tripod - unique, aluminum, and
    inexpensive at under 100 dollars. The main advantage of this tripod is that
    it folds incredibly small.

    Bogen / Manfrotto 725B Digi Black Tripod with Ball head - this also comes in
    a three axis head version. I was attracted by the low price (100 dollars),
    but rejected it when I realized it rings for several seconds like a bell
    when you tap it. The head is not removable, which is a bit limitation, and
    I did not like the look of the plastic tab that locks the center column.
    Still, it's so small and light, and reasonably sturdy even compared to the
    lighter Gitzos.

    (number of stars indicates my personal rating, and "S" indicates this is a
    tripod I actually saw in the store, rather than relying on Internet chatter)
    Gitzos with four stars are docked a star for costing 600 dollars, otherwise
    I ignore price in making my ratings.

    ** (heavy)Velbon El Carmagne 640 Review - a great tripod, but turned out to
    be much heavier than listed on the wohlberg site listed above

    S** folded length too big, 3lb, Induro CX-113 Carbonflex 8X Tripod - again,
    a good tripod, reasonably solid, good workmanship, and I was entranced by
    the ability to angle the center column out for macro work. This tripod not
    only has a level, but a compass too! The killer for me was that it was a
    little on the heavy side, and the folded length was too long

    ** Gitzo G1058 Mountaineer Weekend 6X Carbon Fiber - beautiful, expensive,
    and not very solid at all.

    *** FEISOL CT-3441 - this is a tripod I would seriously consider. Its main
    problem is that it is a little too heavy, and a little too big, compared
    with the 3401 which is one of my favorites..

    S*** FM Reviews - G1128 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport - a gorgeous Gitzo, somewhat
    sturdier than the 1058, but it bends like a toy, IMHO.

    S*** Gitzo G1258 Mountaineer Reporter 6X Carbon Fiber - beautiful, and
    somewhat sturdier and heavier than the 1128 - it still twists easily, and
    the particular tripod I looked at had one section of a leg that wobbled.

    *** Gitzo GT-0931 Weekend Basalt Tripod Legs - somewhat less sturdy than the
    1258, and still not cheap.

    S*** SLIK compact pro - a tiny aluminum tripod, more of a tabletop tripod
    really. It vibrates for quite a while if you tap it, and has a fixed head,
    and it folds to an incredibly small size.

    S**** SLIK Sprint Pro (<$100) I really liked this one - it's like the Bogen
    / Manfrotto 725B Digi, but the center column is secured better, and I liked
    the overall feel.

    **** Slik Pro 614 DX Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit - larger and heavier than my
    favorite, the 614 CF, but not bad at all.

    **** Gitzo GT2540L Mountaineer Long Reporter - I could easily live with this
    tripod, but the price is very high as with all Gitzos, and the folded length
    is too long.
    S*** Gitzo GT-1540 Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber - another gorgeous, expensive
    tripod.
    **** Gitzo GT-1540T Traveler 6X Carbon Fiber - no problems here, other than
    the price.

    ***** FEISOL 3401 - great price at 175 US dollars legs only, and great
    online reviews. A little heavy at 2.9 lbs, and folds to 19 inches. It's
    impossible to get them other than ordering them cold from Taiwan, and I'd
    really like to see one before purchasing. This could still very well be my
    next tripod.

    ***** SLIK Pro 614 CF - my current favorite, though I've never seen one.
    The legs are 300 US dollars legs only, but the reviews from users are
    stunning, and the weight and length are right where I need them - 18 inches
    and 1.9 lbs.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Jun 11, 2007
    #15
  16. Mike Russell wrote:
    > I've been looking for a lighter replacement for my trusty Bogen/Manfrotto,
    > which is about 7 pounds including head. It's rock solid, a little too heavy
    > to carry most of the time, but more importantly it has to be disassembled to
    > fit in my suitcase. There are so many choices it's ridiculous.
    >
    > First, a couple of interesting links:
    >
    > The Rosetta stone: a table of tripods and features:
    > http://www.wohlberg.net/public/photo/tripods.html
    >
    > A review of the Velbon Carmagne 640, and a table comparing specs of similar
    > tripods
    > http://bayimages.net/tech/equipment/velbon-el-carmagne-640.html
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------
    > Here are some tripods I've evaluated, the number of stars indicate how much
    > I liked the tripod, regardless of price. I examined some of these at the
    > store, and relied on combing user discussions for the rest. Right now, my
    > favorite pick is the Slik Pro 614 CF, a reasonably light tripod that costs
    > 300 US dollars legs only.
    >
    > I'm mainly looking at four section carbon fiber tripods, max weight 3 lbs
    > w/o head, max length 24 inches, preferably 18 inches. In checking them out
    > I've stumbled across some interesting aluminum ones.
    >
    > I did look at the lighter weight Gitzo tripods - 1500 series, and some of
    > the bogen tripods - beautifully built, but I was surprised at how relatively
    > flexible they were - nothing like my good old Bogen. After reading so many
    > rave reviews of Gitzos, frankly I expected something rock solid, and seeing
    > this kind of flexibility soured me on the price tag, and made me consider
    > other, less expensive tripods.
    >
    > ULTRALUXISF Velbon Ultra LUXiSF Compact Tripod - unique, aluminum, and
    > inexpensive at under 100 dollars. The main advantage of this tripod is that
    > it folds incredibly small.
    >
    > Bogen / Manfrotto 725B Digi Black Tripod with Ball head - this also comes in
    > a three axis head version. I was attracted by the low price (100 dollars),
    > but rejected it when I realized it rings for several seconds like a bell
    > when you tap it. The head is not removable, which is a bit limitation, and
    > I did not like the look of the plastic tab that locks the center column.
    > Still, it's so small and light, and reasonably sturdy even compared to the
    > lighter Gitzos.
    >
    > (number of stars indicates my personal rating, and "S" indicates this is a
    > tripod I actually saw in the store, rather than relying on Internet chatter)
    > Gitzos with four stars are docked a star for costing 600 dollars, otherwise
    > I ignore price in making my ratings.
    >
    > ** (heavy)Velbon El Carmagne 640 Review - a great tripod, but turned out to
    > be much heavier than listed on the wohlberg site listed above
    >
    > S** folded length too big, 3lb, Induro CX-113 Carbonflex 8X Tripod - again,
    > a good tripod, reasonably solid, good workmanship, and I was entranced by
    > the ability to angle the center column out for macro work. This tripod not
    > only has a level, but a compass too! The killer for me was that it was a
    > little on the heavy side, and the folded length was too long
    >
    > ** Gitzo G1058 Mountaineer Weekend 6X Carbon Fiber - beautiful, expensive,
    > and not very solid at all.
    >
    > *** FEISOL CT-3441 - this is a tripod I would seriously consider. Its main
    > problem is that it is a little too heavy, and a little too big, compared
    > with the 3401 which is one of my favorites..
    >
    > S*** FM Reviews - G1128 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport - a gorgeous Gitzo, somewhat
    > sturdier than the 1058, but it bends like a toy, IMHO.
    >
    > S*** Gitzo G1258 Mountaineer Reporter 6X Carbon Fiber - beautiful, and
    > somewhat sturdier and heavier than the 1128 - it still twists easily, and
    > the particular tripod I looked at had one section of a leg that wobbled.
    >
    > *** Gitzo GT-0931 Weekend Basalt Tripod Legs - somewhat less sturdy than the
    > 1258, and still not cheap.
    >
    > S*** SLIK compact pro - a tiny aluminum tripod, more of a tabletop tripod
    > really. It vibrates for quite a while if you tap it, and has a fixed head,
    > and it folds to an incredibly small size.
    >
    > S**** SLIK Sprint Pro (<$100) I really liked this one - it's like the Bogen
    > / Manfrotto 725B Digi, but the center column is secured better, and I liked
    > the overall feel.
    >
    > **** Slik Pro 614 DX Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit - larger and heavier than my
    > favorite, the 614 CF, but not bad at all.
    >
    > **** Gitzo GT2540L Mountaineer Long Reporter - I could easily live with this
    > tripod, but the price is very high as with all Gitzos, and the folded length
    > is too long.
    > S*** Gitzo GT-1540 Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber - another gorgeous, expensive
    > tripod.
    > **** Gitzo GT-1540T Traveler 6X Carbon Fiber - no problems here, other than
    > the price.
    >
    > ***** FEISOL 3401 - great price at 175 US dollars legs only, and great
    > online reviews. A little heavy at 2.9 lbs, and folds to 19 inches. It's
    > impossible to get them other than ordering them cold from Taiwan, and I'd
    > really like to see one before purchasing. This could still very well be my
    > next tripod.
    >
    > ***** SLIK Pro 614 CF - my current favorite, though I've never seen one.
    > The legs are 300 US dollars legs only, but the reviews from users are
    > stunning, and the weight and length are right where I need them - 18 inches
    > and 1.9 lbs.

    Mike,
    Nice list. I too was looking for a small lightweight travel tripod, but one that
    also had good height and good stability. I didn't find exactly
    what I wanted, but this one is close:

    Manfrotto 190MF4 carbon fiber and I added a manfrotto 488 CR2 ball head.
    It fits my requirements for height and reasonable stability.
    It is a little heavier than I wanted (2.1 Kg, 4.6 pounds with ball head).
    The center column unscrews into to pieces so the ball head and top of the
    column are only 6 inches (15 cm) in length and the rest of the tripod
    is 17.5 inches folded (44 cm). This fits into my lowepro computrekker backpack
    (on the inside), so I can move around without the tripod being seen.
    (I did this for the last 2+ weeks in Greece).

    Roger
    http://www.clarkvision.com
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 11, 2007
    #16
  17. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >
    > Have you ever used a Gitzo? Do you use a tripod
    > virtually every day, every week or once a month?
    >


    In a word, No.

    Incidentally, I particularly chose this part of your post to respond to,
    not because I didn't read the rest, but primarily because I started this
    thread to inquire about a particular tripod that is *not* a Gitzo or a
    Bogen or any other wellknown and reputable brand. I don't discount Mr.
    Bienveniste's on-topic response, but it is a little frustrating when
    responses to a question about an unknown commodity become a
    recommendationfest for a known one. I do not doubt that many experienced
    people justifiably choose another, much more expensive tripod.

    This is only a mild gripe, mind you, because I have found yours and the
    responses of others to be informative, if not necessarily informative
    about the original topic.

    As to the amount of use my tripod gets, I use it about once or twice a
    year, and then every day, all day, for about seven or eight days. I am
    very acquainted with my new Manfrotto 190QCCL tripod after a week of
    fairly heavy use. I won't use it again for another few months, but then
    I will need it bad enough to replace it if I lose another of those
    *)$*$&@ quick release plates.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jun 12, 2007
    #17
  18. Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >
    >This is only a mild gripe, mind you, because I have
    >found yours and the responses of others to be
    >informative, if not necessarily informative about the
    >original topic.


    Heh heh. Usenet commonly works that way. We can ask
    anything we want, but people still answer about whatever
    they please.

    And realistically, with technical topics it should be
    assumed that the person asking doesn't necessarily know
    the right question any more than they know the right
    answer. Not so much in photography groups, but very
    commonly in computer groups the first response has to be
    "tell me what you want to do, rather than ask how well
    some particular mechanism works". The one and only
    mechanism the poster knows probably is not the right one
    to use.

    In this case, that might be true of tripods. We haven't
    discussed all that much about what specific uses these
    tripods are for.

    >As to the amount of use my tripod gets, I use it about
    >once or twice a year, and then every day, all day, for
    >about seven or eight days. I am very acquainted with my
    >new Manfrotto 190QCCL tripod after a week of fairly
    >heavy use. I won't use it again for another few months,
    >but then I will need it bad enough to replace it if I
    >lose another of those *)$*$&@ quick release plates.


    I would think that if you put in a solid week with it,
    you will definitely have a feel for it! At least as far
    as how functional it is. That still doesn't tell you
    how likely various parts are to break, but given your
    very light usage it doesn't make much difference.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Jun 12, 2007
    #18
  19. "Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >>
    >>This is only a mild gripe, mind you, because I have
    >>found yours and the responses of others to be
    >>informative, if not necessarily informative about the
    >>original topic.

    >
    > Heh heh. Usenet commonly works that way. We can ask
    > anything we want, but people still answer about whatever
    > they please.
    >
    > And realistically, with technical topics it should be
    > assumed that the person asking doesn't necessarily know
    > the right question any more than they know the right
    > answer. Not so much in photography groups, but very
    > commonly in computer groups the first response has to be
    > "tell me what you want to do, rather than ask how well
    > some particular mechanism works". The one and only
    > mechanism the poster knows probably is not the right one
    > to use.
    >
    > In this case, that might be true of tripods. We haven't
    > discussed all that much about what specific uses these
    > tripods are for.


    This is true....My tripod, for example can weigh as much as it needs to
    weigh in order to hold my camera steady....I never use it more than a few
    feet from the trunk of my car, so spending a bunch of money for a carbon
    fiber plastic fantastic would be a complete waste......
    William Graham, Jun 12, 2007
    #19
  20. "William Graham" <> wrote:
    >"Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote:
    >> And realistically, with technical topics it should be
    >> assumed that the person asking doesn't necessarily know
    >> the right question any more than they know the right
    >> answer. Not so much in photography groups, but very
    >> commonly in computer groups the first response has to be
    >> "tell me what you want to do, rather than ask how well
    >> some particular mechanism works". The one and only
    >> mechanism the poster knows probably is not the right one
    >> to use.
    >>
    >> In this case, that might be true of tripods. We haven't
    >> discussed all that much about what specific uses these
    >> tripods are for.

    >
    >This is true....My tripod, for example can weigh as much as it needs to
    >weigh in order to hold my camera steady....I never use it more than a few
    >feet from the trunk of my car, so spending a bunch of money for a carbon
    >fiber plastic fantastic would be a complete waste......


    That was where I used to be, and I'm not far from that
    situation now. My physical mobility has declined
    seriously in the past few years. I didn't mind an old
    (18 pound) Majestic 2500 for almost everything, because
    I didn't pack it farther than a couple hundred yards at
    most. I just can't do that anymore, at all!

    But I still want to use a tripod at things like school
    functions. I have to carry everything more than 100
    yards before I can sit down, so heavy don't get it. Now
    I'm packing a Gitzo GT3530 that weighs 4 1/2 pounds
    without the head.

    I still use the Majestic tripod inside, except for
    something where less vibration is really important (high
    magnification photomacrography), and on occasion outside
    for something special. I've got both the 8030A sidearm
    and the 8040 side arm for the Majestic, so once in
    awhile that versatility is really really useful and I'll
    take it anywhere with about 20-30 feet of the truck.

    It's all a balancing act to decide which tripod will do
    best for any given thing. The Majestic is really heavy,
    and it vibrates much more than carbon fiber does. But
    with those sidearms it can end up looking like a
    Christmas tree with camera and a couple flash units and
    battery pack hung on it.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Jun 12, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. tkranz

    smoother pan on cheap tripods??

    tkranz, Aug 11, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    555
    Joseph Meehan
    Aug 11, 2003
  2. Faolan

    Tripods - Hillwalking/trekking

    Faolan, Oct 4, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    951
    Steven M. Scharf
    Oct 22, 2003
  3. Scott Harper

    Inexpensive tripods

    Scott Harper, Nov 13, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    3,168
  4. Guest

    Opinion on Compact Tripods

    Guest, Jan 16, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    370
    Francis A. Miniter
    Jan 17, 2004
  5. Vadim

    Bogen / Manfrotto tripods

    Vadim, Jan 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    729
Loading...

Share This Page