Tripods and airlines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sam, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?

    Thanks
     
    Sam, Aug 26, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sam wrote:
    >Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    >packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    >equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?
    >
    >Thanks

    you might want to call airlines. just to be sure.

    --
    estella aguilar
     
    estella aguilar, Aug 27, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sam

    Arthur Small Guest

    Unless you have a HARD case, I don't believe that you would want to ship
    your tripod as checked baggage.

    I pack my CF tripod in among my clothing, goes with checked baggage.

    www.alldigital.fotopic.net
     
    Arthur Small, Aug 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Sam

    George K Guest

    In the U.S. the Transportation Security Agency sets the requirements
    and their current requirement is a tripod without the spiked feet are
    OK. That is the rule, unfortunately when you deal with the passenger
    screener, the might decide otherwise as could the flight attendants or
    pilot. Yes you might be right, but when these people act right or
    wrong, they will be right at that point in time. You might win your
    case on an appeal but you will still be wrong about resisting these
    people. So the best action is to pack the tripod in your checked
    luggage. I would rather lose a tripod than be refused boarding on a
    necessary trip.

    You should now pack your lens cleaning and sensor cleaning liquids in
    your checked luggage or purchase replacements at your destination. Also
    make sure your homeowners or photographers insurance is up to date.

    Just be glad you do not have to check your laptops, camera bodies and
    lenes.

    Sam wrote:
    > Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    > packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    > equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?
    >
    > Thanks
     
    George K, Aug 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Sam <> wrote:
    > Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    > packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    > equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?
    >


    If you get the right tripod, then it will just fit in your checked luggage or
    you can even fit it in a carry-on bag [assuming they allow you to carry on
    luggage]. I have the Gitzo 1228 and it is light and compact enough to put in
    carry on luggage if I want to.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
     
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Sam

    silvercelt Guest

    Normally you can take it as hand luggage but lately I think it has to
    be all packed in main. If you want no extra charge. Depends on
    individual airlines.
    Sam wrote:

    > Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    > packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    > equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?
    >
    > Thanks
     
    silvercelt, Aug 28, 2006
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    George K <> wrote:

    > In the U.S. the Transportation Security Agency sets the requirements
    > and their current requirement is a tripod without the spiked feet are
    > OK. That is the rule, unfortunately when you deal with the passenger
    > screener, the might decide otherwise as could the flight attendants or
    > pilot.


    Is that a rule written anywhere? I have checked the TSA web site
    several times over that last few years, and could never find a mention
    of tripods one way or another. I concluded that the situation is
    ambiguous. If they have an official policy, I would like to see it.

    I have had experience that points in both directions without resolving
    the issue: Last year a friend phoned TSA and was told to check his
    tripod. On the other hand, about six weeks ago, I unexpectedly had to
    carry on a bag I had intended to check. It got through with no problem
    despite the tripod inside.
     
    Jeffrey Jones, Aug 30, 2006
    #7
  8. Sam

    George K Guest

    The screeners make mistakes. If pointed and sharp objects are not
    allowed, why would pointed titanium points on the legs of a tripod that
    can cut your skin, break ice or scratch rocks be allowed? These tips
    are made of the same material as the tips of ski poles and have the
    same shape. And ski poles are listed on page 2 of the TSA pamphlet as
    needing to be checked.

    I have seen screeners miss at least one item for over 5 years.

    Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > George K <> wrote:
    >
    > > In the U.S. the Transportation Security Agency sets the requirements
    > > and their current requirement is a tripod without the spiked feet are
    > > OK. That is the rule, unfortunately when you deal with the passenger
    > > screener, the might decide otherwise as could the flight attendants or
    > > pilot.

    >
    > Is that a rule written anywhere? I have checked the TSA web site
    > several times over that last few years, and could never find a mention
    > of tripods one way or another. I concluded that the situation is
    > ambiguous. If they have an official policy, I would like to see it.
    >
    > I have had experience that points in both directions without resolving
    > the issue: Last year a friend phoned TSA and was told to check his
    > tripod. On the other hand, about six weeks ago, I unexpectedly had to
    > carry on a bag I had intended to check. It got through with no problem
    > despite the tripod inside.
     
    George K, Aug 30, 2006
    #8
  9. Actually, my question was: Is there a rule that non-spiked tripods are
    OK? I would expect that spikes would be forbidden, but I can't find any
    official policy on tripods at all. Of course, given that the screener
    can override policy, it is probably just as well to check the legs
    whenever possible any way.



    In article <>,
    George K <> wrote:

    > The screeners make mistakes. If pointed and sharp objects are not
    > allowed, why would pointed titanium points on the legs of a tripod that
    > can cut your skin, break ice or scratch rocks be allowed? These tips
    > are made of the same material as the tips of ski poles and have the
    > same shape. And ski poles are listed on page 2 of the TSA pamphlet as
    > needing to be checked.
    >
    > I have seen screeners miss at least one item for over 5 years.
    >
    > Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > George K <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > In the U.S. the Transportation Security Agency sets the requirements
    > > > and their current requirement is a tripod without the spiked feet are
    > > > OK. That is the rule, unfortunately when you deal with the passenger
    > > > screener, the might decide otherwise as could the flight attendants or
    > > > pilot.

    > >
    > > Is that a rule written anywhere? I have checked the TSA web site
    > > several times over that last few years, and could never find a mention
    > > of tripods one way or another. I concluded that the situation is
    > > ambiguous. If they have an official policy, I would like to see it.
    > >
    > > I have had experience that points in both directions without resolving
    > > the issue: Last year a friend phoned TSA and was told to check his
    > > tripod. On the other hand, about six weeks ago, I unexpectedly had to
    > > carry on a bag I had intended to check. It got through with no problem
    > > despite the tripod inside.

    >
     
    Jeffrey Jones, Aug 31, 2006
    #9
  10. Sam

    Richard Guest

    Before all the troubles I always used to carry on my tripod (a metal
    Manfrotto) using the strap over my shoulder (well to be more precise,
    my wife's shoulder) and never had any problems.

    But now I always pack my Gitzo CF in the check in luggage, as I cannot
    really get through with a heavily loaded photo vest, rucksack full of
    lenses etc., laptop, camera and tripod!

    On one occasion leaving Paris some years ago, I was refused permission
    to take on a monopod, even though I had flown in with it, as it was
    deemed to be a potential cosh-like weapon! It had to be checked in
    separately.

    It all depends on the individual on duty. Some do, some don't!

    Richard.
    >
    >Sam wrote:
    >> Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    >> packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    >> equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?
    >>
    >> Thanks
     
    Richard, Aug 31, 2006
    #10
  11. Sam

    cjcampbell Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Generally speaking, just wondering if the average size tripod has to be
    > packed with your baggage or can it be checked in separately as "sport
    > equipment" and not count toward your baggage allowance?


    Generally speaking, and we book a lot of missionaries on both
    international and domestic flights, the baggage limitations on the
    various airlines vary so widely that it is best to check with the
    airline in advance. Also, business and first class passengers are often
    allowed far more luggage than coach passengers. I know one airline that
    might allow you to carry the tripod as a carry-on in addition to your
    umbrella, walking stick, camera bag, computer bag, and two 40 lb.
    carry-on bags, plus two 70 lb. and one 40 lb. checked bags. (Those who
    hate passengers with carry-on bags should avoid this airline.) :)
     
    cjcampbell, Sep 1, 2006
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    OT: If Operating Systems were Airlines

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 22, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    95
    Views:
    1,902
    |{evin
    Jan 26, 2004
  2. Brian

    Do airlines... ???

    Brian, Dec 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    498
    John H. Guillory
    Dec 29, 2003
  3. tkranz

    smoother pan on cheap tripods??

    tkranz, Aug 11, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    568
    Joseph Meehan
    Aug 11, 2003
  4. Tom Nakashima

    tripod on SWA airlines?

    Tom Nakashima, Sep 27, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    711
  5. OldGringo38
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    397
    OldGringo38
    Oct 28, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page