    set up?

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Feb 20, 2007

  2. Ockham's Razor

    Toby Guest

    "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    news:-sjc.supernews.net...
    >I have a tripod with a weight rating of seven and one half pounds.
    >
    > If I do not extend the center pole, can this weight be exceeded? What
    > may be the consequences of "overloading" a tripod that is stable when
    > set up?

    You will get a lot of camera shake. It's doubtful that you're physically
    going to damage the tripod, but you will definitely notice that touching the
    camera will cause vibration, which will take some time to subside. Raising
    the center column will worsen the effect.

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Ockham's Razor

    just bob Guest

    Talking to a Bogen rep recently at an in-store event he said, unofficially,
    the real capacity is usually much higher but they error on the side of what
    is safe.

    YMMV!

    just bob, Feb 20, 2007
  4. Ockham's Razor

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:59:17 -0800, Ockham's Razor <>
    wrote:

    >I have a tripod with a weight rating of seven and one half pounds.
    >
    >If I do not extend the center pole, can this weight be exceeded? What
    >may be the consequences of "overloading" a tripod that is stable when
    >set up?

    You have to go a _lot_ over the weight rating before you break
    anything. I managed to crack a leg latch on my lightweight Manfrotto
    a while back but some significant percentage of my 200+ pounds was on
    it and there was some leverage besides. It still worked, but the leg
    wouldn't stay retracted until I got a new latch.

    What you'll see is increased vibration, how much increased depends on
    the model of the tripod and how much over the design weight you have
    gone.

    J. Clarke, Feb 20, 2007