Tripod recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by whisky-dave, May 7, 2009.

  1. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they have
    3 legs
    and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll keep
    the camera steady.

    So I wasn;t much help :)

    This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera probably
    for
    long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.

    It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
    public
    transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably nearer
    £50.
    I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.

    Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    cheers

    whisky-dave, May 7, 2009

  2. whisky-dave

    SMS Guest

    whisky-dave wrote:

    > Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    > cheers

    I'd look for a used Manfrotto 3001 or 3021 on craigslist.org (easy to
    find on the craigslist in my area as people go to lighter weigh tripods).

    SMS, May 7, 2009

  3. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "whisky-dave"
    <> saying something like:

    >It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
    >public
    >transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably nearer
    >£50.
    >I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
    >
    >Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.

    Cheapy tripods from www.7dayshop.com aren't bad for the money,
    especially if it's for short term use and she'd not be bothered if it
    got stolen or damaged.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, May 7, 2009
  4. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember (Floyd L.
    Davidson) saying something like:

    >A tripod that costs £50 is quite useful. For holding
    >lights, backgrounds, or whatever. Don't put your camera
    >on one though...

    Shite.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, May 7, 2009
  5. whisky-dave

    J. Clarke Guest

    whisky-dave wrote:
    > A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said
    > they have 3 legs
    > and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll
    > keep the camera steady.
    >
    > So I wasn;t much help :)
    >
    > This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera
    > probably for
    > long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
    >
    > It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
    > using public
    > transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably
    > nearer £50.
    > I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    > cheers

    She should be making the rounds of the camera shops that sell used
    equipment. Good tripods generally don't wear out, but you're not going to
    get a good one new for 50 quid.

    J. Clarke, May 7, 2009
  6. whisky-dave

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 07 May 2009 13:56:00 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

    > A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they
    > have 3 legs
    > and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll
    > keep the camera steady.
    >
    > So I wasn;t much help :)
    >
    > This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera
    > probably for
    > long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
    >
    > It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
    > using public
    > transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably nearer
    > £50.
    > I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her. cheers

    Assuming it has a hook underneath, a bag of rocks suspended underneath
    will do wonders for stability.

    ray, May 7, 2009
  7. whisky-dave

    SMS Guest

    whisky-dave wrote:
    > A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they have
    > 3 legs
    > and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll keep
    > the camera steady.
    >
    > So I wasn;t much help :)
    >
    > This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera probably
    > for
    > long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
    >
    > It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
    > public
    > transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably nearer
    > £50.
    > I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    > cheers

    Many of the cheap tripods for video cameras can support a lot of weight,
    15 pounds or so. The type of head is not optimal (pan/tilt) but it would
    work.

    I.e. the Velbon CX-690.

    These will have leg braces, and the legs won't be independently
    adjustable, and you won't be able to get really low or mount the camera
    underneath.

    As someone else mentioned, weighting it down with some rocks or sandbags
    helps stability.

    SMS, May 7, 2009
  8. whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they have
    > 3 legs
    > and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll keep
    > the camera steady.

    > So I wasn;t much help :)

    > This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera probably
    > for
    > long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.

    > It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
    > public
    > transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under #100 probably nearer
    > #50.
    > I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.

    > Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    > cheers

    It matters a lot whether the tripod will be used indoors or
    outdoors. It matters a lot what size of output images she
    requires. The longest focal length of the lens she will use is
    important. It matters a lot how high the camera will have to be.

    College project eh? Is she going to have to write up how she solved
    the tripod problem? "I got a friend to ask questions on the internet
    for me." That'll get good marks :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 7, 2009
  9. In message news:gtulsi$hvg$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
    <> said:

    > A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they
    > have
    > 3 legs
    > and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll
    > keep the camera steady.
    >
    > So I wasn;t much help :)
    >
    > This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera
    > probably for
    > long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
    >
    > It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
    > using public
    > transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably
    > nearer £50.
    > I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    > cheers

    A medium-format tripod for 50 quid? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    Gitzo 3 series. End of thread.

    Father Guido Sarducci, May 7, 2009
  10. Useful for baiting twokkers? And then beating them senseless
    when they reach for your camera?

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, May 7, 2009
  11. Bag of photographic hints books?

    Big bag of rocks hanging under a couple legs. With a long
    lens extending from the top of the legs. Somehow, that's a
    mental image that I wish I hadn't had. What's the polite
    word for scrotum?

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, May 8, 2009
  12. whisky-dave

    J. Clarke Guest

    Stormin Mormon wrote:
    > Bag of photographic hints books?
    >
    > Big bag of rocks hanging under a couple legs. With a long
    > lens extending from the top of the legs. Somehow, that's a
    > mental image that I wish I hadn't had. What's the polite
    > word for scrotum?

    Generally the latin word is polite. On a prime-time CBS comedy, the
    expression "nut sack" is used, so presumably that gets past the network
    censors.

    J. Clarke, May 8, 2009
  13. whisky-dave

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 07 May 2009 19:01:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

    > Bag of photographic hints books?
    >
    > Big bag of rocks hanging under a couple legs. With a long lens extending
    > from the top of the legs. Somehow, that's a mental image that I wish I
    > hadn't had. What's the polite word for scrotum?

    Could have expected same from a Mormon Idiot - but then I forget the two
    words mean about the same thing.

    ray, May 8, 2009
  14. whisky-dave

    Guest

    On May 7, 8:56 am, "whisky-dave" <> wrote:
    > It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
    > public
    > transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably nearer
    > £50.
    > I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.

    Promaster. Slide-locking legs, lightweight - and about $35 in
    America.

    http://www.Internet-Gun-Show.com - your source for hard-to-find stuff!

    , May 8, 2009
  15. whisky-dave

    J. Clarke Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 7, 8:56 am, "whisky-dave" <> wrote:
    >> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
    >> using public
    >> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably
    >> nearer £50.
    >> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem
    >> interested.

    > Promaster. Slide-locking legs, lightweight - and about $35 in
    > America.

    Will it hold a medium format steady?

    J. Clarke, May 8, 2009
  16. whisky-dave

    Alan Hoyle Guest

    On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:49:17, wrote:
    > On May 7, 8:56??am, "whisky-dave" <> wrote:
    >> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
    >> public
    >> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under ??100 probably nearer
    >> ??50.
    >> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.

    > Promaster. Slide-locking legs, lightweight - and about $35 in
    > America.

    What about a Tiltall? They seem like they might be tough enough and
    inexpensive enough for this.

    http://www.adorama.com/TPTL.html

    -a

    --
    Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

    Alan Hoyle, May 8, 2009
  17. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Bag of photographic hints books?
    >
    > Big bag of rocks hanging under a couple legs. With a long
    > lens extending from the top of the legs. Somehow, that's a
    > mental image that I wish I hadn't had. What's the polite
    > word for scrotum?

    Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

    whisky-dave, May 8, 2009
  18. whisky-dave

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 7 May 2009 23:13:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On May 7, 8:56 am, "whisky-dave" <> wrote:
    >>> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
    >>> using public
    >>> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably
    >>> nearer £50.
    >>> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem
    >>> interested.

    >> Promaster. Slide-locking legs, lightweight - and about $35 in
    >> America.

    >Will it hold a medium format steady?

    I don't see how that question can be answered accurately. Whether or
    not any tripod will hold a camera steady depends entirely on the
    external factors. I have an old tripod that I picked up at a garage
    sale for $5. It has a label that says it's a K-Mart "Focal". You
    people would sneer at it, but I rarely use a tripod.

    With the legs fully extended (62"), it's a bit wobbly if you touch the
    camera, but I can't remember ever extending the thinnest legs. It
    doesn't collapse under the weight of the camera. I use it for some
    table-top photography and usually set the camera to shutter delay and
    stand back. Manually pressing the shutter can move the camera, but
    the shutter tripping doesn't cause blur.

    There's no still camera heavy enough to collapse my tripod. There are
    external conditions and shooting conditions which my tripod would not
    be sufficient, though.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 8, 2009
  19. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > whisky-dave <> wrote:

    >> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    >> cheers

    > It matters a lot whether the tripod will be used indoors or
    > outdoors.

    First off it will be in a disused warehouse/factory, broken windows etc..

    > It matters a lot what size of output images she
    > requires.

    Mostly monochrome large enough to present so at least 10X8 hopefully larger.

    > The longest focal length of the lens she will use is
    > important. It matters a lot how high the camera will have to be.

    Well not high or low, just 'standard' shooting height more likely to be
    waist
    height to head height .
    Standard to wide angle lens I think.

    > College project eh? Is she going to have to write up how she solved
    > the tripod problem? "I got a friend to ask questions on the internet
    > for me." That'll get good marks :)

    No, I can suss those sorts out.
    TBH I'm not quite sure what she's up to, she's very arty.
    her last attmept was in a disused basement at night.
    She set up the 5X4, put it on B, then went around the room firing off a
    flash gun (small) manually hoping to get something, but nothing,
    I think the flash was too small and film speed to low, or she didn't;
    set something up right.
    At her next location, an old radiator was in her way so she moved it,
    trouble was it was heavy cast iron and fell over trapping her hand,
    she had to go to hospital and get her hand bandaged so that ended that
    shoot.
    Part of her study I think is to compare digital with film for low light work
    and whether reciprocity failure can be overcome using multiple exposures
    on a digital camera[1] rather than one single long exposure on film.
    Although I get the impression that the course organises just want something
    done
    that she can write about to contribute to her Msc[2].

    I remember a photo shoot she did where I was the model, with others, she
    spent ages
    getting us to pose as she was doing a photgraphic story board to import in
    to director
    for her college mulit-media project. Next day she found out there wasn;t any
    film
    in the camera, it sounds like a joke but it happened.
    But she did insist that she DID NOT forget to put film in the camera, it's
    just that when she
    came to use the camera there wasn;t any film in it, and that's different she
    assured me. ;-0

    [1] No idea myself how she can do that practically.
    [2] Lecturer seems to say, well you think X or Y is the problem/solution
    then prove it.

    whisky-dave, May 8, 2009
  20. whisky-dave <> wrote:

    > "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >> whisky-dave <> wrote:

    >>> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
    >>> cheers

    >> It matters a lot whether the tripod will be used indoors or
    >> outdoors.

    > First off it will be in a disused warehouse/factory, broken windows etc..

    If there's no wind you can wait while a flimsy tripod settles down
    and stops quivering.

    >> It matters a lot what size of output images she
    >> requires.

    > Mostly monochrome large enough to present so at least 10X8 hopefully larger.

    "Hopefully larger" could possibly require the extra resolution of
    medium format :)

    >> The longest focal length of the lens she will use is
    >> important. It matters a lot how high the camera will have to be.

    > Well not high or low, just 'standard' shooting height more likely to be
    > waist
    > height to head height .
    > Standard to wide angle lens I think.

    So far this doesn't sound very demanding of tripod stability,
    providing she's capable of the technique required to get stability out
    of a flimsy tripod.

    >> College project eh? Is she going to have to write up how she solved
    >> the tripod problem? "I got a friend to ask questions on the internet
    >> for me." That'll get good marks :)

    > No, I can suss those sorts out.
    > TBH I'm not quite sure what she's up to, she's very arty.
    > her last attmept was in a disused basement at night.
    > She set up the 5X4, put it on B, then went around the room firing off a
    > flash gun (small) manually hoping to get something, but nothing,
    > I think the flash was too small and film speed to low, or she didn't;
    > set something up right.
    > At her next location, an old radiator was in her way so she moved it,
    > trouble was it was heavy cast iron and fell over trapping her hand,
    > she had to go to hospital and get her hand bandaged so that ended that
    > shoot.
    > Part of her study I think is to compare digital with film for low light work
    > and whether reciprocity failure can be overcome using multiple exposures
    > on a digital camera[1] rather than one single long exposure on film.

    Reciprocity failure doesn't apply to digital images, and in terms of
    film is simply overcome by the use of the appropriate time and filter
    functions which all suppliers of high quality film provide. Obviously
    you don't know the specific terms of the project, but it sounds as
    though there could easly be plenty of room for it to be partly
    baked :)

    > Although I get the impression that the course organises just want something
    > done
    > that she can write about to contribute to her Msc[2].

    Demonstrate that she's capable of learning and problem solving on her
    own in a novel technical field, and it doesn't really matter that the
    problems have been solved by others, because it will take her quite a
    of research to discover that, and quite a bit of intelligence if she
    does discover it to verify it in practice.

    > I remember a photo shoot she did where I was the model, with others, she
    > spent ages
    > getting us to pose as she was doing a photgraphic story board to import in
    > to director
    > for her college mulit-media project. Next day she found out there wasn;t any
    > film
    > in the camera, it sounds like a joke but it happened.
    > But she did insist that she DID NOT forget to put film in the camera, it's
    > just that when she
    > came to use the camera there wasn;t any film in it, and that's different she
    > assured me. ;-0

    > [1] No idea myself how she can do that practically.
    > [2] Lecturer seems to say, well you think X or Y is the problem/solution
    > then prove it.

    It doesn't sound like a particularly demanding project, which from the
    sound of things is probably just as well. I'm pleased to hear there are
    colleges so devoted to the cause of education that they will lend a
    medium format camera to that kind of student :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 8, 2009