    so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?

    Steve

    Steve Carpenter, Jul 8, 2007

  2. Steve Carpenter

    Ron Recer Guest

    "Steve Carpenter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or
    > so
    > from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    > so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    > Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?
    >
    > Steve

    Many cameras/lens/scopes have holes for that 'sprung pin'. It keeps them
    straight on the mount.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Jul 8, 2007

  3. "Ron Recer" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Steve Carpenter" <> wrote in message news:...

    >> Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or so
    >> from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    >> so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    >> Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Many cameras/lens/scopes have holes for that 'sprung pin'. It keeps them straight on the mount.
    >
    > Ron

    Many video cameras have these - and the pins on the tripod
    heads or plates can generally be easily removed.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Jul 8, 2007
  4. OK, thanks folks.

    Steve

    Steve Carpenter, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Steve Carpenter

    Pat Guest

    On Jul 8, 4:54 pm, "Steve Carpenter" <> wrote:
    > Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or so
    > from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    > so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    > Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?
    >
    > Steve

    Lots of cameras have them ... but they are all video cameras.

    Most better heads have the ability to unscrew the pin and remove it.

    Pat, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Steve Carpenter

    JD Guest

    Steve Carpenter wrote:
    > Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or so
    > from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    > so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    > Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?
    >
    > Steve

    Some quick release heads have this sprung pin as a safety measure. The
    pin will catch onto the edge of the QR plate and keep it from falling
    out if the release is inadvertantly loosened but not to the extent of
    intentinally removing. The plate hast to be machined to take advantage
    of that pin to provide the safety measure.

    Quoting from Acratech's web page:

    "At Acratech we have developed a spring-loaded detent pin that projects
    into the pockets or windows that are cut into the bottom of most
    manufactures (Acratech, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, etc.) quick release
    plates. Our detent pin will prevent the plate from accidentally sliding
    out in the event that the knob is partially loosened."

    JD

    JD, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Steve Carpenter

    Guest

    Hey. Please visit my website
    www.bangbangboomboom.com

    On Jul 8, 1:54 pm, "Steve Carpenter" <> wrote:
    > Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or so
    > from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    > so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    > Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?
    >
    > Steve

    Plesase

    , Jul 9, 2007
  8. Steve Carpenter wrote:
    > Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an
    > inch or so from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base
    > with a mating hole, so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the
    > paint off my camera)? Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?

    Rather a video camera thing

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 9, 2007
  9. Pat <> wrote:
    > On Jul 8, 4:54 pm, "Steve Carpenter" <> wrote:
    >> Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or so
    >> from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    >> so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    >> Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Lots of cameras have them ... but they are all video cameras.

    THe lens cradle for my Sony DSC-R1, which is not a video camera, has a
    hole which mates with the pin in one of my quick release mounts. It
    clearly serves to stop a camera with a long heavy lens from twisting
    around an insufficiently tightened tripod thread.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 11, 2007
  10. Steve Carpenter

    Pat Guest

    On Jul 11, 4:59 am, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    > Pat <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 8, 4:54 pm, "Steve Carpenter" <> wrote:
    > >> Many pan/tilt heads and quick release mounts have a sprung pin an inch or so
    > >> from the mounting screw. I've yet to see a camera base with a mating hole,
    > >> so what is the pin for (apart from scratching the paint off my camera)?
    > >> Maybe it's just a pro camera thing?

    > >> Steve

    > > Lots of cameras have them ... but they are all video cameras.

    > THe lens cradle for my Sony DSC-R1, which is not a video camera, has a
    > hole which mates with the pin in one of my quick release mounts. It
    > clearly serves to stop a camera with a long heavy lens from twisting
    > around an insufficiently tightened tripod thread.

    No it clearly doesn't for three clear reasons. First, one clearly
    knows that if you are using a long, heavy lens then you put the tripod
    on the lens, not the camera. Second, if you are using a heavy rig,
    clearly you go to a stronger system with a larger screw. Thirdly, if
    you didn't tighten the darned thing up, then you lens would be moving
    and clearly your picture wouldn't be clear. It doesn't take much
    movement with a big lens.

    The purpose of the pin is to keep the camera from unscrewing when you
    are panning back and forth.

    Pat, Jul 11, 2007
  11. Pat <> wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 4:59 am, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >> Pat <> wrote:

    >> > Lots of cameras have them ... but they are all video cameras.

    >> THe lens cradle for my Sony DSC-R1, which is not a video camera, has a
    >> hole which mates with the pin in one of my quick release mounts. It
    >> clearly serves to stop a camera with a long heavy lens from twisting
    >> around an insufficiently tightened tripod thread.

    > No it clearly doesn't for three clear reasons. First, one clearly
    > knows that if you are using a long, heavy lens then you put the tripod
    > on the lens, not the camera.

    The tripod mount I was talking about is on the lens CRADLE of the R1,
    not the camera, which in the case of this camera takes the place of
    the lens tripod mount.

    > Second, if you are using a heavy rig,
    > clearly you go to a stronger system with a larger screw.

    Which is exactly what is provided by the lens CRADLE I mentioned.

    > Thirdly, if
    > you didn't tighten the darned thing up, then you lens would be moving
    > and clearly your picture wouldn't be clear.

    I wasn't talking about the screw being loose, what I said was when it
    wasn't tight ENOUGH.

    > It doesn't take much
    > movement with a big lens.

    > The purpose of the pin is to keep the camera from unscrewing when you
    > are panning back and forth.

    Which is what would happen if the tripod screw wasn't tight enough.

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 12, 2007