    Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    camera like this?

    , Jan 17, 2007

  2. John Bean Guest

    On 17 Jan 2007 02:57:15 -0800, wrote:

    >I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    >still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    >Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    >camera like this?

    Use the self timer on any camera that can't use a cable
    release to remove any movement caused by pressing the
    shutter. IS should be turned off if the camera is on a
    tripod.
    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Guest

    Re: Tripod Mount at *End* of PowerShot! Why?

    On Jan 17, 6:00 am, John Bean <> wrote:

    > IS should be turned off if the camera is on a
    > tripod.

    Why? (And, sincerely, why put the tripod mount at the end of the
    camera and necessitate all the self-timing stuff?)

    Also--since I've never had a camera with IS--what is the difference
    between the menu choices "Continuous" and "Shooting Mode?"

    Thank you.

    , Jan 17, 2007
  4. Guest

  5. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    > still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    > Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    > camera like this?

    I have read your questions and opinions for some time now.

    You have just got this Camera which you raved about before you got it. You
    are now not so sure that it is as wonderfull as you originally imagined.

    You have read all the reviews, and I presume the Users Manual, yet you have
    to ask such a basic question about the 2 IS modes.

    Do you have a reading problem, or do you just like asking stupid questions?

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 17, 2007
  6. John Bean Guest

    On 17 Jan 2007 03:09:37 -0800, wrote:

    >On Jan 17, 6:00 am, John Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >> IS should be turned off if the camera is on a
    >> tripod.

    >Why? (And, sincerely, why put the tripod mount at the end of the
    >camera and necessitate all the self-timing stuff?)

    Because by definition the tripod prevents movement, and in
    the absense of *any* movement the IS sytem may "hunt" and
    actually add movement blur instead of preventing it
    especially during long exposures. If your tripod isn't as
    steady as it could be then IS may possibly help, depends how
    long the exposure is. Position of the tripod bush is
    probably just a design convenience though many
    well-respected cameras have had it at the end of the bottom
    plate, Leica for example. It's not very convenient if you
    use a small wobbly tripod but no big deal if you use a
    decent one. You still need either a cable release or
    self-timer, no matter what camera/support is used.

    >Also--since I've never had a camera with IS--what is the difference
    >between the menu choices "Continuous" and "Shooting Mode?"

    Continuous lets you see the effect through the viewfinder -
    IS is on all the time. Shooting mode only uses IS when you
    actually take a picture; this is supposed to be more
    effective and saves battery power.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jan 17, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Jan 17, 6:29 am, "Roy G" <> wrote:

    > Roy G

    Hey, Chief, you stalk longterm on Usenet? Kinda like the old-timers on
    Seinfeld? Go back to your S&M sites.

    , Jan 17, 2007
  8. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    > still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    > Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    > camera like this?

    1 Does it cause a problem?

    2 If yes, what is it?

    3 If no, what is your complaint?

    4 Have you actually tried it on a tripod?

    5 Please make sure the brain is in gear before engaging the keyboard.

    Stewy, Jan 17, 2007
  9. Guest

    Re: Tripod Mount at *End* of PowerShot! Why?

    On Jan 17, 6:59 am, Stewy <> wrote:

    More passive-aggressive crap.

    Hey dudes (?), I hear there's a great new hormone therapy for PM(an)S.
    FOAD.

    , Jan 17, 2007
  10. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 17, 6:59 am, Stewy <> wrote:
    >
    > More passive-aggressive crap.
    >
    > Hey dudes (?), I hear there's a great new hormone therapy for PM(an)S.
    > FOAD.

    You really are a F****** Idiot.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 17, 2007
  11. Roy G Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Jan 17, 6:59 am, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>
    >> More passive-aggressive crap.
    >>
    >> Hey dudes (?), I hear there's a great new hormone therapy for PM(an)S.
    >> FOAD.

    > You really are a F****** Idiot.
    >
    > Roy G

    I omitted to add

    "And obnoxious with it"

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 17, 2007
  12. bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    > still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    > Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    > camera like this?

    Yes; I have a canon a510, which also has it's tripod
    point over on the far left.

    This is no problem at all on a large tripod,
    with the camera sitting horizontally.

    If however, I use a table top tripod,
    the off-centre C of G of the camera becomes an
    issue.

    If I use my tripods ball
    head so that the camera is facing down (e.g
    for photographing a book) the camera wants
    to pivot around the tripod mount, since it's not
    supported at it's C of G.

    To circumvent these problems, I made
    a small adapter plate, with a central
    1/4" thread HOLE and and off-centre
    1/4 thread BOLT, which worked very well.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jan 17, 2007
  13. Maurice Hood Guest

    > To circumvent these problems, I made
    > a small adapter plate, with a central
    > 1/4" thread HOLE and and off-centre
    > 1/4 thread BOLT, which worked very well.
    >
    > BugBear

    Yes thats how I got over the problem with the tripod bush.

    Took an old flash bar, drilled hole(after removing flash shoe)for
    camera.
    fit to tripod so the shutter release is over the centre of the tripod.

    Maurice Hood, Jan 17, 2007
  14. Bill Funk Guest

    On 17 Jan 2007 03:11:51 -0800, wrote:

    >On Jan 17, 6:00 am, John Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >> IS should be turned off if the camera is on a
    >> tripod.

    >Why? (And, sincerely, why put the tripod mount at the end of the
    >camera and necessitate all the self-timing stuff?)

    Putting the tripod mount at the end of a camera the size and weight of
    the A710 is not a problem. it doesn't necessitate a self timer.
    The use of the self timer eliminates any camera movement that pressing
    the shutter burtton will introduce.
    Others have told you why to turn off IS while using a tripod.

    --
    Arnold Schwarzenegger was at
    the Golden Globes Monday to

    Bill Funk, Jan 17, 2007
  15. Bill Funk Guest

    On 17 Jan 2007 03:37:08 -0800, wrote:

    >On Jan 17, 6:29 am, "Roy G" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Roy G

    >Hey, Chief, you stalk longterm on Usenet? Kinda like the old-timers on
    >Seinfeld? Go back to your S&M sites.

    He has a valid point.
    As with your ill-fated Rebel, you display a complete lack of knowledge
    that would be gained from a simple reading of the manuals that come
    witgh your cameras, and a reading of a book on photography basics.
    Once that is done (or during, if you so wish), experience will lead to
    a mnuch better understanding of what you need to do to get a
    reasonable photograph.
    But instead, you are like an impetuouos child, demanding personal
    attention.
    It obvious you are only here for yourself, because you've not read the
    thread on IS that's already answered your questions.
    You're the person who interrupts to ask already answered questions
    because you can't be bothered to listen to what's going on, and are
    too lazy to take even the most basic steps to learn for yourself.
    There ar emany here who are more than willing to help, but you have an
    obligation to yourself to learn the basics. No one here was born with
    the knowledge they have; they worked for it. Feel free to learn from
    them, but demonstrate that you actually want to learn.

    Bill Funk, Jan 17, 2007
  16. wrote:
    > I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    > still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    > Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    > camera like this?

    With a camera that small, mostly the entire base of the camera sits on
    the tripod top anyway; exactly where it's fastened doesn't matter much.
    Lots of consumer P&S cameras I've seen over the years have a
    thoroughly offset tripod mount.

    As to "why", I'd guess it's because of wanting the internal space in the
    middle for something else.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 17, 2007
  17. Lobster Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    >> still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    >> Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    >> camera like this?

    > With a camera that small, mostly the entire base of the camera sits on
    > the tripod top anyway; exactly where it's fastened doesn't matter much.
    > Lots of consumer P&S cameras I've seen over the years have a
    > thoroughly offset tripod mount.
    >
    > As to "why", I'd guess it's because of wanting the internal space in the
    > middle for something else.

    Possibly because if you attach Canon's add-on flash unit to the side
    where the tripod mount is, the C of G of the whwill be about correct?

    David

    Lobster, Jan 17, 2007
  18. bugbear Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I posted too soon about how much I like my A710. The A710 has IS, but
    >> still-- How is this going to work, when I press the shutter button?
    >> Does anyone have bad experience with a tripod mount at the end of a
    >> camera like this?

    > With a camera that small, mostly the entire base of the camera sits on
    > the tripod top anyway; exactly where it's fastened doesn't matter much.

    It *does* matter if the tripod top plate isn't horizontal.
    On a horizontal top plate, the camera just "sits", and
    the bolt doesn't do much.

    When the plate is vertical, only fricton generated by the bolt
    pressure stop the camera pivoting around the offset bolt

    > Lots of consumer P&S cameras I've seen over the years have a
    > thoroughly offset tripod mount.
    >
    > As to "why", I'd guess it's because of wanting the internal space in the
    > middle for something else.

    Yeah - if the lens is central, there ain't room.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jan 17, 2007
  19. Ken Lucke Guest

    Re: Tripod Mount at *End* of PowerShot! Why?

    In article <>, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    >> He has a valid point.

    > As with your ill-fated Rebel, you display a complete lack of knowledge
    > that would be gained from a simple reading of the manuals that come
    > witgh your cameras, and a reading of a book on photography basics.
    > Once that is done (or during, if you so wish), experience will lead to
    > a mnuch better understanding of what you need to do to get a
    > reasonable photograph.
    > But instead, you are like an impetuouos child, demanding personal
    > attention.
    > It obvious you are only here for yourself, because you've not read the
    > thread on IS that's already answered your questions.
    > You're the person who interrupts to ask already answered questions
    > because you can't be bothered to listen to what's going on, and are
    > too lazy to take even the most basic steps to learn for yourself.
    > There ar emany here who are more than willing to help, but you have an
    > obligation to yourself to learn the basics. No one here was born with
    > the knowledge they have; they worked for it. Feel free to learn from
    > them, but demonstrate that you actually want to learn.

    You just described 95% of usenet. :^(

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 17, 2007
  20. AustinMN Guest

    Ken Lucke wrote:
    > In article <>, Bill Funk
    > <> wrote:

    <snip for brevity>

    > > There ar emany here who are more than willing to help, but you have an
    > > obligation to yourself to learn the basics. No one here was born with
    > > the knowledge they have; they worked for it. Feel free to learn from
    > > them, but demonstrate that you actually want to learn.

    > You just described 95% of usenet. :^(

    I think you're being optimistic.

    Austin

    AustinMN, Jan 17, 2007