    somewhat more if need be.

    Any suggestions for candidates?

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 25, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >It's going to be carried around in a backpack a fair bit, so I'd like to
    >keep the tripod weight down as much as possible. Tentative budget is in
    >the $50ish range, though I probably could be talked into spending
    >somewhat more if need be.

    The VELBON MAXi 343E can be had from Amazon for US$72. It is quite
    light weight and well made. On the other hand, it is so spindly that
    wind can cause it to move a bit. I am experimenting with hanging
    heavy objects to it, but I haven't spent enought time with it to say
    much about it.

    I look forward to other posts on this topic, so I can see if I just
    wasted my money.
    --
    David Arnstein |

    David Arnstein, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Daniel Silevitch

    Yakov Chiu Guest

    David Arnstein wrote:

    > The VELBON MAXi 343E can be had from Amazon for US$72. It is quite
    > light weight and well made. On the other hand, it is so spindly that
    > wind can cause it to move a bit. I am experimenting with hanging
    > heavy objects to it, but I haven't spent enought time with it to say
    > much about it.

    This is probably the best choice. Henry's sometimes has these in the mid
    $50's on their eBay store.

    Yakov Chiu, Sep 25, 2005
  4. On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:25:39 -0700, Yakov Chiu <> wrote:
    > David Arnstein wrote:
    >
    >> The VELBON MAXi 343E can be had from Amazon for US$72. It is quite
    >> light weight and well made. On the other hand, it is so spindly that
    >> wind can cause it to move a bit. I am experimenting with hanging
    >> heavy objects to it, but I haven't spent enought time with it to say
    >> much about it.

    > This is probably the best choice. Henry's sometimes has these in the mid
    > $50's on their eBay store.

    I'll take a look at this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 25, 2005
  5. Daniel Silevitch

    Alain Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm looking to buy a tripod to go along with my Panasonic FZ5. This is a
    > fairly light camera by the standards of this group (<1 pound), and I was
    > wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonable tripod for such a
    > featherweight.
    >
    > It's going to be carried around in a backpack a fair bit, so I'd like to
    > keep the tripod weight down as much as possible. Tentative budget is in
    > the $50ish range, though I probably could be talked into spending
    > somewhat more if need be.
    >
    > Any suggestions for candidates?
    >
    > -dms

    You could also think about a monopod (but the FZ5 has image
    stabilization in it) or a tabletop tipod.

    Alain, Sep 25, 2005
  6. Daniel Silevitch

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy a tripod to go along with my Panasonic FZ5. This is a
    > fairly light camera by the standards of this group (<1 pound), and I was
    > wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonable tripod for such a
    > featherweight.
    >
    > It's going to be carried around in a backpack a fair bit, so I'd like to
    > keep the tripod weight down as much as possible. Tentative budget is in
    > the $50ish range, though I probably could be talked into spending
    > somewhat more if need be.
    >
    > Any suggestions for candidates?

    I have a Velbon P-Max that weighs in at just 800g and is sturdy enough
    for a FZ5 (I use it with a Fuji S7000).
    With twist and lock legs it can be ready to use in just 10 seconds and
    is short enough to fit in an ordinary daypack.

    Stewy, Sep 30, 2005
  7. On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 00:24:34 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a tripod to go along with my Panasonic FZ5. This is a
    > fairly light camera by the standards of this group (<1 pound), and I was
    > wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonable tripod for such a
    > featherweight.
    >
    > It's going to be carried around in a backpack a fair bit, so I'd like to
    > keep the tripod weight down as much as possible. Tentative budget is in
    > the $50ish range, though I probably could be talked into spending
    > somewhat more if need be.
    >
    > Any suggestions for candidates?

    Based on recommendations here, and some other research, I decided on the
    Velbon 343. The tripod is in the mail (or on the UPS truck; same
    difference).

    Thanks for all the help.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 30, 2005