    --
    Terry
    Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.
    Terry, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Terry

    Jim Guest

    On 2005-11-21 20:39:03 -0500, "Terry" <> said:

    > I have a Canon 20D with the 17-85 kit lens and plan on getting the new
    > 70-300 IS soon. I also have the 420EX flash. I need to upgrade my
    > tripod and want to hold the price to $300. My interest so far is
    > chiefly in either the Slik PRO 813 CF or PRO 814 CF with the AF-2100
    > pistol grip head. I see models from Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc. in the same
    > price range. What's the best value? I have used a friends pistol grip
    > head and loved the convenience. Thanks in advance for advice.

    I own an horrendously expensive Gitzo carbon fiber.. I love the thing,
    light and increadibly strong and the carbon fiber doesn't stick to your
    hands in the New England winters. I can vouch for the quality of
    construction.

    I also own an antique Slik.. like 24 years antique.
    I don't know what to think of it. The plastic parts in critical places
    .... like the head and the post gears are troublesome, but the U-Channel
    legs are strong and rigid... always struck me as tripod that should
    have cost 50 bucks more and improved the weak parts (50 bucks more
    when I bought it would have doubled the price). I have not picked up a
    Slik in awhile but form a close distantance they look worth considering.

    In this price range, I think I would be looking long and hard at the
    Manfrotto's .

    As far as the AF-2100 head.... make sure you play with one before you
    buy. I don't think I would find it useful. But tripod heads as a
    individual as the user. My two favorite heads are a good simple ball
    head or the Gitzo (or similar) offset ball heads. THe Jury is still
    out on this one. There are days I love the offset ball.. and days I
    wish it be gone! I think if I were to do again, a simple ball..
    but then qucik release is real nice. I don't like knobs on sticks..
    they always try to give me a tracheotomy. Save them for the video
    guys. My current head is a Gitzo 1276M.

    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo
    Jim, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Terry

    JimmyG Guest

    I'm using a Manfrotto 322

    1http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=2686

    It's heavy, but solid as a rock & has great leg locks (Those twisty things
    are a pain).

    I love the green color, too.

    Get a nice ball head, like the 488RC2, & you'll be well within your budget,
    & happy with your equipment for quite a while.....until you want to upgrade.
    JimmyG, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Terry

    [BnH] Guest

    I just recommend one to a friend with similar setup [ 350D + 17-40 L +
    70-200 L + 50 + 580EX ] and he ended up getting the Manfrotto 055 Pro B +
    322 RC head.

    I have the AF-2100 pistol head by SLIK n imho .. it is not as comfortable
    when using the Manfrotto 322RC, esp when chasing after birds :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Nov 22, 2005