    1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
    Connect Plate (3157N)
    2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod
    hoover, Nov 21, 2006

  2. hoover

    sally Guest

    In article <l9s8h.2639$>, hoover <> wrote:
    >I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
    >them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks

    Depends a lot on what camera you are using and what kind of photography you
    like doing. Bogen is a good brand for tripods, though I have not tried
    their heads.
    sally, Nov 21, 2006

  3. hoover

    JD Guest

    hoover wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
    > them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
    > 1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
    > Connect Plate (3157N)
    > 2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

    You should specify what your intended use will be. I like flower
    photography and macro work.

    I have the 3021Pro (chrome, figured black would chip).
    It is not a tripod for backpacking. It's chief strength is its ability
    to go very low and with the center post removable and going horizontal,
    you can get low and position the camera where the legs might have been
    an interference. Some people complain that they can get pinched with
    the leg locks, I avoid that by closing with the ball/palm of the hand.

    The mechanism for removing the head from the vertical post to convert
    from vertical to hoziontal (or to pull the vertical tube completely out
    to get the tripod very low to the ground) is done by unscrewing the tube
    from the mounting plate. It is too fine a thread for my taste, it takes
    a lot of turns to separate the pieces.

    I use it with a Bogen 410 geared head and an Ultratech ballhead.

    JD
    JD, Nov 21, 2006
  4. hoover wrote:

    > I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
    > them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
    > 1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
    > Connect Plate (3157N)
    > 2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

    I have a 3021. What do you intend to use it for?
    Its big, heavy, and solid for some things, vibrates
    too much for other things (like holding super
    telephoto lenses). If you can swing it, a carbon
    fiber tripod would be much better (dampens the
    vibrations more and is much lighter).
    The 3021 works well for medium telephotos,
    as long as you don't have to lug it far.

    Roger
    Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 21, 2006
  5. hoover

    bugbear Guest

    hoover wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
    > them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
    > 1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
    > Connect Plate (3157N)
    > 2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

    What's your camera?

    What are you going to be photographing?

    Where are you going to be?

    BugBear
    bugbear, Nov 21, 2006
  6. hoover

    hoover Guest

    I photograph a lot of landscape - i'm definitely not a pro but I use a Nikon
    D-50. Mostly mountains, trees, battlefields, etc

    hoover, Nov 22, 2006
  7. hoover

    hoover Guest

    thanks - do you know anything about the ball head?

    hoover, Nov 22, 2006
  8. hoover

    JD Guest

    hoover wrote:
    > thanks - do you know anything about the ball head?
    >
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>hoover wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing
    >>>about them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
    >>>1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
    >>>Connect Plate (3157N)
    >>>2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

    >>You should specify what your intended use will be. I like flower
    >>photography and macro work.
    >>
    >>I have the 3021Pro (chrome, figured black would chip).
    >>It is not a tripod for backpacking. It's chief strength is its ability to
    >>go very low and with the center post removable and going horizontal, you
    >>can get low and position the camera where the legs might have been an
    >>interference. Some people complain that they can get pinched with the leg
    >>locks, I avoid that by closing with the ball/palm of the hand.
    >>
    >>The mechanism for removing the head from the vertical post to convert from
    >>vertical to hoziontal (or to pull the vertical tube completely out to get
    >>the tripod very low to the ground) is done by unscrewing the tube from the
    >>mounting plate. It is too fine a thread for my taste, it takes a lot of
    >>turns to separate the pieces.
    >>
    >>I use it with a Bogen 410 geared head and an Ultratech ballhead.
    >>
    >>JD

    I can't speak to the 322RC2 ball head. I like the Ultratech but like
    all ball heads you get the good and the bad.
    Good: very quick to move to a desired position.
    Bad: For precise macro work, they can drive you nuts since you can't
    lock two planes of movement while fine tuning the third. Also ball
    heads tend to shift (settle) when you are locking them into position.
    Tension controls help that problem.

    I've also found that I prefer the geared head for panorama work. This
    is a matter of getting the horizontal alignment set to be the same for
    the multiple shots. It was easier to do than with the ball head, again
    a matter of not being able to lock two planes while fiddling with a third.

    Here's a site for reviews of heads:
    http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/tripods/tripod-heads-and-accessories/PLS_3134crx.aspx

    Here's the same site reviewing tripods:
    http://www.photographyreview.com/pscTripods/Tripods/PLS_3114_660crx.aspx

    Roger's comment about vibration of the 3021 with super telephoto is
    accurate. I've also heard that you should not fully extend the small
    legs of the tripod (keep two - three inches in the next section) again
    as a means to reduce the vibration.

    JD
    JD, Nov 23, 2006