    purposes? Do not do it? Anything else?

    Thank you,
    edsager

    =?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=, Apr 2, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You will have the same restore point, shadow copy problem you have with
    Vista86. Otherwise you should have no problems and just be careful to
    uncheck the activate on install box when you install. Also, be sure to
    uninstall the one you chose not to activate. You will have only the normal
    problems using Vista's Disk Management for creating the new partition. It
    will not shrink to less than the area where it runs into the first unmovable
    file. As has been pointed out before, you can eliminate your hibernate
    file, page file and restore/shadow files and run the defrag program to
    potentially increase the chances of success.

    John Barnes, Apr 2, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=

    mikeyhsd Guest

    have triple booted xp pro x-64, vista 64 and vista 32.
    all was well till the vista 32 wanted to activate after the vista 64 had done so and got the key in use message as expected.

    mikeyhsd, Apr 2, 2007
  4. My final question (which I should have asked originally) is whether or not it
    will make any difference to have a 64-bit OS.

    I have 4 GB PC3200 DDR (max amount available = 4 GB);
    I would like to use a 4 GB USB to take advantage of Ready Boost;
    I do a fair amount of video/audio creation;
    I use speech recognition (and will do so much more when Dragon
    NaturallySpeaking comes out with its Pro patch);
    I utilize dual monitors;
    I do a lot of high-speed scanning and OCR;
    I set virtual memory to 4606 MB to 7606 MB;
    Lots of multi-tasking with Office 2007 & Macromedia Studio 8, to a name just
    a couple titles.
    I use the PAE switch with Vista 32-bit and XP Pro 32-bit and my BIOS does
    recognize 4 GB of installed memory.

    Thank you all for your responses,
    edsager
    ___________________________________

    =?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=, Apr 2, 2007
  5. Hi, Edsager.

    You probably won't see very much difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista
    performance...YET. I'm sure the differences are coming, as soon as
    developers get familiar with 64-bit and start churning out updated software.
    Until recently, there weren't enough 64-bit computers in service to create
    enough of a market to entice them, but Vista x64 is changing that.

    As to triple-boot: No problem! During the Vista beta, I was multi-booting
    (octo-booting?) as many as 8 Windows/Vista installations: both 32-bit and
    64-bit versions of WinXP and both versions of up to 3 Vista beta builds.
    Now that the beta is over, I'm down to only WinXP x64, Vista x86 and Vista
    x64 - but I haven't booted anything but Vista Ultimate x64 in a month or
    two. I've not used any third-party boot managers, just what's built into
    WinXP and Vista. And, since I haven't used Restore Points, I haven't run
    into those problems that I've seen reported by others.

    I'm now running an EPoX MF570SLI motherboard with AMD Athlon X2 5000+ CPU
    and 2 GB PC6400 RAM, with 4 SATA II HDs. I'm using ReadyBoost with a 2 GB
    USB stick.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Apr 2, 2007