    groups only
    ---
    Via news.studio10k.com

    midjet, Feb 17, 2009

  2. midjet

    VanguardLH Guest

    midjet wrote:

    > Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    > groups only
    > ---
    > Via news.studio10k.com

    And how are efficiency and/or activity to be measured?
    If the inefficient or inactive groups were removed, what happens when
    someone wants to use them for a new discussion that would be on-topic
    for that newsgroup?

    Just because an NNTP server carries lots of groups doesn't mean you have
    to subscribe to all of them. Just subscribe to the ones where you
    intend to actually participate.

    VanguardLH, Feb 17, 2009

  3. midjet

    midjet Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:06:19 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >midjet wrote:
    >
    >> Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >> groups only
    >> ---
    >> Via news.studio10k.com

    >And how are efficiency and/or activity to be measured?
    >If the inefficient or inactive groups were removed, what happens when
    >someone wants to use them for a new discussion that would be on-topic
    >for that newsgroup?
    >
    >Just because an NNTP server carries lots of groups doesn't mean you have
    >to subscribe to all of them. Just subscribe to the ones where you
    >intend to actually participate.
    >---

    You speak like a Reader
    Think like a operator
    it change the point of view of my question ?!

    ---
    Via news.studio10k.com

    midjet, Feb 17, 2009
  4. midjet

    Mike Easter Guest

    midjet wrote:

    >>> Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >>> groups only

    > You speak like a Reader
    > Think like a operator
    > it change the point of view of my question ?!

    I think I now understand the original question, which I initially didn't.

    The first time it seemed like an obscure/obfuscated question. Now it
    seems like a dumb one. But anything could be 'programmed' with the
    appropriate operators.

    You could make a list (from a newsserver's list) which reflected the
    activity over a period of time and then you could filter that list to show
    only those groups which exceeded some target activity you determined.

    That wouldn't necessarily be a list of 'good' or worthwhile (activity)
    groups -- some groups are full of troll vs troll activity.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 17, 2009
  5. midjet

    Guest

    midjet <> wrote:

    >Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >groups only

    Use the usenet not a web site.

    Agent has the option not to retrieve groups that are dead.

    Yes Michael it was a dumb question, asked like an operator of
    something very easy to operate.
    --

    A Computer Repair Utility Kit You Can Run From a Thumb Drive
    http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

    , Feb 17, 2009
  6. midjet

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:14:19 -0800, Bill <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >> groups only
    >> ---
    >> Via news.studio10k.com
    >>

    > Oh lookee. A web to usenet portal sucking off google newsgroups.
    >It's a shame Blinky's not here to see it. I'm sure it would warm his
    >cockles.

    Like it does mine. Yeesh, you wouldn't think *that* many people would be that
    stupid, but....

    > Bill
    >
    > Oh ya, for the OP. No.

    Actually, when you refresh groups in Agent, you have the option to delete all
    extinct groups. But of course that would require enough intelligence to post to
    usenet using a *real* news reader.

    --
    "Every time I say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to my anger,
    and never to their own fear." -- Ani DiFranco

    Mara, Feb 17, 2009
  7. midjet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-02-17, midjet <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:06:19 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>midjet wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >>> groups only
    >>> ---
    >>> Via news.studio10k.com

    >>And how are efficiency and/or activity to be measured?
    >>If the inefficient or inactive groups were removed, what happens when
    >>someone wants to use them for a new discussion that would be on-topic
    >>for that newsgroup?
    >>
    >>Just because an NNTP server carries lots of groups doesn't mean you have
    >>to subscribe to all of them. Just subscribe to the ones where you
    >>intend to actually participate.
    >>---

    > You speak like a Reader
    > Think like a operator
    > it change the point of view of my question ?!

    You speak like a newbie. Which is not good if you're trying to set up a
    public news-server :((

    If you want to set up a news-server of your own to offer a service to
    others, your customers can ask you to add a newsgroup they want to read if
    you don't already carry it. So start off with only the groups you think
    are interesting, or with 'all the Big Eight and no others' or 'the Big
    Eight plus the alt.support.* groups plus uk.*' or whatever - just set up
    your news-server as appropriate. Your choice.

    You will also find yourself communicating with the operators of other
    public news-servers too - or at least one - or you won't have any groups to
    worry about. Those people can offer you the benefit of their experience;
    use it!

    Look for newsgroups whose names begin with news.* and read them!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 17, 2009
  8. midjet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-02-17, Bill <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >> groups only
    >> ---
    >> Via news.studio10k.com
    >>

    > Oh lookee. A web to usenet portal sucking off google newsgroups.
    > It's a shame Blinky's not here to see it. I'm sure it would warm his
    > cockles.

    [...]

    There's an NNTP server there too:

    $ telnet news.studio10k.com nntp
    Trying 76.10.159.14...
    Connected to news.studio10k.com (76.10.159.14).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 to news.studio10k.com DNEWS (Peering Available) -= UUCP BAG FILES =-,
    5.7e1,, S0

    But the current 'list' seems to be pretty indiscriminate.

    The web portal is the one that seems to come with DNews - functional but
    hardly slick, and no adverts (as yet ...).

    This may be an honest (if naive) attempt to provide a service, rather than
    a scam to usurp usenet for generating click money.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 17, 2009
  9. midjet

    Whiskers Guest

    wrote:
    > midjet <> wrote:

    [...]

    >Use the usenet not a web site.

    [...]

    Try the web portal there (I'm using it to post this). No sign-up, no frills,
    no adverts, no attempt to hide usenet behind anything.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    ---
    Via news.studio10k.com

    Whiskers, Feb 17, 2009
  10. midjet

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 16 Feb 2009 19:32:27 -0500, midjet <> wrote:

    >Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the efficien/activ
    >groups only

    Do you write for I Can Haz Cheezeburgers?

    Evan Platt, Feb 17, 2009
  11. midjet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-02-17, Whiskers <> wrote using the
    Studio10K web portal.

    These are the headers of that message:

    > From: "Whiskers" <>

    OK, we need that one!

    > Sender: "Whiskers" <>

    We don't need those - unless the poster has entered a Reply-To which
    differs from the From (but the web portal doesn't offer that choice).

    > Subject: Re: Trim newsgroups
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Hmmm. Not 'wrong', but unusual. The information is at least correct.

    <cough><cough> If you want to include that header, at least make it
    meaningful. The IP number from 'X-User-Info' would be appropriate, I
    think (and at least 'traditional'). It is probably a good idea to keep
    track of where your users are posting from, and publishing the genuine IP
    address does make it possible for others to filter or score an individual
    poster (albeit 'expensively').

    An honest Message-ID - good! That allows people to 'filter' or 'score'
    posts from the web portal if they want to. (Or do some posts via your
    NNTP server also get that FQDN?).

    > Date: 17 Feb 2009 12:30:18 -0500
    > x-memo: Passthru via news.studio10k.com

    Not really much point to that 'x-memo', is there?

    ycache.com doesn't list you among their peers:

    Currently peered with:
    news.antakira.com
    news.motzarella.org
    weretis.net
    linkpendium.com
    news.zen.net.uk
    neva.ru
    news.k-dsl.de
    news.snarked.org
    news.nk.ca
    glorb.com
    news.enother.com
    news.telesweet.net
    news.studio10k.com

    Perhaps <http://www.ycache.com/> is out of date?

    [...]

    > ---
    > Via news.studio10k.com

    Hmm. Some people get annoyed by "spammy" appendages like that. But if
    you must have it there, a proper sig delimiter ("sigdash" - ie hyphen
    hyphen space newline, like mine) would be better; real newsreaders know
    what to do with those.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 17, 2009
  12. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2009-02-17, midjet <> wrote:

    >>> And how are efficiency and/or activity to be measured?
    >>> If the inefficient or inactive groups were removed, what happens when
    >>> someone wants to use them for a new discussion that would be on-topic
    >>> for that newsgroup?
    >>>
    >>> Just because an NNTP server carries lots of groups doesn't mean you have
    >>> to subscribe to all of them. Just subscribe to the ones where you
    >>> intend to actually participate.
    >>> ---

    >> You speak like a Reader
    >> Think like a operator
    >> it change the point of view of my question ?!

    > You speak like a newbie. Which is not good if you're trying to set up a
    > public news-server :((
    >
    > If you want to set up a news-server of your own to offer a service to
    > others, your customers can ask you to add a newsgroup they want to read if
    > you don't already carry it. So start off with only the groups you think
    > are interesting, or with 'all the Big Eight and no others' or 'the Big
    > Eight plus the alt.support.* groups plus uk.*' or whatever - just set up
    > your news-server as appropriate. Your choice.
    >
    > You will also find yourself communicating with the operators of other
    > public news-servers too - or at least one - or you won't have any groups to
    > worry about. Those people can offer you the benefit of their experience;
    > use it!
    >
    > Look for newsgroups whose names begin with news.* and read them!

    Here's the software to run it if he gets that far...

    http://www.synchro.net/

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 17, 2009
  13. midjet

    VanguardLH Guest

    midjet wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> midjet wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does exist a trim of a list of newsgroups that keep the
    >>> efficien/activ groups only

    >> And how are efficiency and/or activity to be measured? If the
    >> inefficient or inactive groups were removed, what happens when
    >> someone wants to use them for a new discussion that would be
    >> on-topic for that newsgroup?
    >>
    >> Just because an NNTP server carries lots of groups doesn't mean you
    >> have to subscribe to all of them. Just subscribe to the ones where
    >> you intend to actually participate.

    > You speak like a Reader Think like a operator it change the point of
    > view of my question ?!

    You thought there was a lot of detail in your post?

    VanguardLH, Feb 24, 2009
  14. midjet

    demo Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:46:36 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >midjet wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> And how are efficiency and/or activity to be measured? If the
    >>> inefficient or inactive groups were removed, what happens when
    >>> someone wants to use them for a new discussion that would be
    >>> on-topic for that newsgroup?
    >>>
    >>> Just because an NNTP server carries lots of groups doesn't mean you
    >>> have to subscribe to all of them. Just subscribe to the ones where
    >>> you intend to actually participate.

    >> You speak like a Reader Think like a operator it change the point of
    >> view of my question ?!

    >You thought there was a lot of detail in your post?

    Have to much Newsgroups for nothing

    demo, Feb 25, 2009
  15. midjet

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:55:58 -0500, demo wrote:

    > Have to much Newsgroups for nothing

    I've never muched a newsgroup in my life and if I did I certainly
    wouldn't do it for free.

    Time is money, y'know.

    Aardvark, Feb 26, 2009
  16. midjet

    VanguardLH Guest

    demo wrote:

    > Have to much Newsgroups for nothing

    When you hear the wrist alarm, it's time to take your meds.

    VanguardLH, Feb 27, 2009