    phone number and asked him to call me if he wanted to talk about the
    situation with the cops. He hasn't called, and no cops have showed up to
    haul me off to jail. His network is still wide open as of this morning.
    Kevin, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Kevin

    Matt Gibson Guest

    Just because a network is totally open, doesn't mean that it's unprotected.

    And it may not even have internet connectivity.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    The networks that were detected had no encryption. My notebook's wireless
    utility and NetStumbler told me that. That's why I approached the guy in
    the cell phone store. His network, with or without internet connectivity,
    was wide open. I notice this afternoon that it is now offline.

    Kevin, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Kevin

    Mike Fields Guest

    If the fool had half a brain, he would have thanked you
    for pointing it out to him -- easy to over look something like
    that - especially if you had one of the kids working for you
    set up the wifi network in the store for you. Just as a
    protection (especially since he already has your contact
    info), you might want to write your notes and version
    of what happened and present it to the local cops. That
    way, if later something comes up, you can show you did
    discuss it (might even cc the manager). It's amazing how
    things get turned around later and without your version on
    file, he could be a real problem instead of just an ass.

    My wife got involved in a situation at where she works at
    a small company where they discovered the lady in shipping
    had worked a scam where she had made off with $40,000
    in the last 18 months. They terminated her and were going
    to let it go at that (the boss was very kind hearted). They
    were advised that they MUST file charges against her
    because if they didn't, then she could later come back
    and sue them for "wrongful discharge" and get damages.
    Of course the wonderful legal system we have, found her
    guilty, and ordered restitution for the $40,000 .... at the
    sum of $25 per month. Anybody know where I can get
    a $40,000 "loan" for $25 a month ???

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Kevin

    Matt Gibson Guest

    I can have a network with no encryption, and you'll never use it for
    anything.

    Encryption doesn't always have to be at the WAP level. I could have a
    firewall behind it that only lets VPN traffic from authorized (through a
    certificate) users.

    While I may not agree with the guy's reaction, you're assuming a lot.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson, Jul 24, 2005