Tried Everything :-( - Need Help Bad!!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Gondo, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    I was in here a couple of weeks ago with a problem with a VPR MatriX 226 PC
    with an Intel DEBT845 motherboard. I purchased a P4 2.4 GHz CPU used on
    eBay as well as 512MB of PC2100 RAM and an ATI Radeon 7500 video card.
    Hooked it all up and couldn't get a thing, no post, nothing. So I posted a
    message here and there was a suggestion to remove the motherboard from the
    case, put it on cardboard and connect just the video card and install the
    RAM and try powering up that way. That did not work either.

    So I ended up buying a used Intel 845PEBT2 motherboard on eBay (working
    condition), I checked the RAM (good), tried a different video card (NVidia
    MX400 32MB - good), replaced the power supply (Thermaltake 400W - good) and
    hooked things up again. Still nothing. Removed the motherboard again, put it
    on cardboard and connected just the video card with the RAM installed and
    the power coming from the power supply still installed in the case. Still
    nothing.

    Is there a connection on the motherboard I am missing? Is the CPU fried?
    This is really frustrating. I just can't figure out what it might be, I've
    checked just about anything. No beep codes, no error codes, no nothing.
    Evidently the speaker is built into the motherboard, but still not a peep.
    Is it time to try a different case? I'm at wit's end :-(.

    Please someone help, thanks!

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Gondo

    AG Guest

    "Gondo" <> wrote in message
    > I was in here a couple of weeks ago with a problem with a VPR MatriX 226

    PC
    > with an Intel DEBT845 motherboard. I purchased a P4 2.4 GHz CPU used on
    > eBay as well as 512MB of PC2100 RAM and an ATI Radeon 7500 video card.
    > Hooked it all up and couldn't get a thing, no post, nothing. So I posted a
    > message here and there was a suggestion to remove the motherboard from the
    > case, put it on cardboard and connect just the video card and install the
    > RAM and try powering up that way. That did not work either.
    >
    > So I ended up buying a used Intel 845PEBT2 motherboard on eBay (working
    > condition), I checked the RAM (good), tried a different video card (NVidia
    > MX400 32MB - good), replaced the power supply (Thermaltake 400W - good)

    and
    > hooked things up again. Still nothing. Removed the motherboard again, put

    it
    > on cardboard and connected just the video card with the RAM installed and
    > the power coming from the power supply still installed in the case. Still
    > nothing.
    >
    > Is there a connection on the motherboard I am missing? Is the CPU fried?
    > This is really frustrating. I just can't figure out what it might be, I've
    > checked just about anything. No beep codes, no error codes, no nothing.
    > Evidently the speaker is built into the motherboard, but still not a peep.
    > Is it time to try a different case? I'm at wit's end :-(.
    >
    > Please someone help, thanks!
    >
    > -Gondo

    About the only thing you haven't replaced is the processor. That would be
    what I would suspect.
    AG

    AG, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Thanks AG. Thought that it might be the processor, since it's the only
    component that hasn't been changed out. Was really hoping it wasn't that.

    Everyone else feel free to weigh in here and convince me it's not the CPU
    ;-).

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Gondo

    David Hough Guest

    Gondo wrote:
    > Thanks AG. Thought that it might be the processor, since it's the only
    > component that hasn't been changed out. Was really hoping it wasn't that.
    >
    > Everyone else feel free to weigh in here and convince me it's not the CPU
    > ;-).
    >
    > -Gondo
    >
    >Gondo, I hope you are using a static strap or taking anti-static precautions.

    If not, then you could be zapping stuff as you go. Quite often the CPU
    seller packages a strap in with the chip. Same with motherboard companies.

    David Hough, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    David,
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not wearing an anti-static strap, but am touching
    metal in the case before working in there. Power is definitely getting to
    the motherboard, as the green light comes on and the front power button
    works fine. I'm still praying it isn't the processor...

    Gondo, Aug 2, 2004
  6. On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:50 -0500, "Gondo" <> wrote:

    >David,
    >Thanks for the advice. I'm not wearing an anti-static strap, but am touching
    >metal in the case before working in there. Power is definitely getting to
    >the motherboard, as the green light comes on and the front power button
    >works fine. I'm still praying it isn't the processor...

    Is it possible the CMOS jumper is set to clear?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Tom,
    Would the CMOS jumper be set to clear on both motherboards? Nothing changed
    when I put the different (newer) motherboard in the case. Also, it appears
    the speaker for the "beep codes" is built in to both motherboards - it must
    be the newer, digital kind, as it's the small, round black type. No beeps at
    all with either motherboard.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Aug 3, 2004