Trick to protect address book from worms

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Philip Drumm, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Philip Drumm

    Philip Drumm Guest

    Somebody forwarded this to me, and I'm wondering if it really works or
    not. Seems to me like the worm would run through the entire address
    book before waiting to see if any addresses are undeliverable or not...

    I learned a computer trick a while back and I was just reminded of it
    again today. It's really ingenious in it's simplicity.

    As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer, it heads
    straight for your e-mail address book, and it sends itself to everyone
    in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.

    This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it
    will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will
    alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.

    Here's what you do: first, open your address book and click on "New
    Contact", just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your
    list of e-mail addresses.

    In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
    AAAAAAA. Also, use address .

    Now, here's what you've done and why it works:

    The name AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as entry
    #1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself
    to all your friends. But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it
    will be undeliverable because of the phony e-mail address you entered.
    If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address),
    the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

    Here's the second great advantage of this method:

    If an e-mail cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your
    In Box almost immediatley. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you
    that an e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know
    right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then
    take steps to get rid of it!

    Pretty slick, huh?

    If everybody you know does this, then you need not ever worry about
    opening mail from friends.

    Pass this on to all your friends!!!

    Philip Drumm, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Philip Drumm

    Cmere Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:09:56 -0400, Philip Drumm wrote:

    > Somebody forwarded this to me, and I'm wondering if it really works or
    > not. Seems to me like the worm would run through the entire address
    > book before waiting to see if any addresses are undeliverable or not...

    > I learned a computer trick a while back and I was just reminded of it
    > again today. It's really ingenious in it's simplicity.
    >
    > As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer, it heads
    > straight for your e-mail address book, and it sends itself to everyone
    > in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.
    >
    > This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it
    > will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will
    > alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.
    >
    > Here's what you do: first, open your address book and click on "New
    > Contact", just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your
    > list of e-mail addresses.
    >
    > In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
    > AAAAAAA. Also, use address .
    >
    > Now, here's what you've done and why it works:
    >
    > The name AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as entry
    > #1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself
    > to all your friends. But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it
    > will be undeliverable because of the phony e-mail address you entered.
    > If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address),
    > the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.
    >
    > Here's the second great advantage of this method:
    >
    > If an e-mail cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your
    > In Box almost immediatley. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you
    > that an e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know
    > right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then
    > take steps to get rid of it!
    >
    > Pretty slick, huh?
    >
    > If everybody you know does this, then you need not ever worry about
    > opening mail from friends.
    >
    > Pass this on to all your friends!!!

    This isn't very effective:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trick.address.book.entry.html

    Cmere, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Philip Drumm

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:09:56 -0400, Philip Drumm wrote:

    >Somebody forwarded this to me, and I'm wondering if it really works or
    >not. Seems to me like the worm would run through the entire address
    >book before waiting to see if any addresses are undeliverable or not...

    http://tinyurl.com/g1o0 (from Trend)

    Don't do it, and tell whoever sent it to you to stop forwarding things like that
    without checking them out first. All they do is take up space - they don't
    accomplish anything else.

    And send them here:

    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/print/0,23102,3351250,00.html
    http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/0000hoax.shtml

    "Same thing."

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

    Mara, Jul 4, 2003