trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under £11 (Amazon UK)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lars, Aug 20, 2006.

  1. Lars

    Lars Guest

    Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.

    P-&-P is about £3.20 (6 dollars).

    http://snipurl.com/v6zh

    ------

    This seems too cheap to be true.

    Is there a catch somewhere?

    Lars, Aug 20, 2006

  2. Lars

    Guest

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_trick=3F_-_1GB_Viking_SD_memory_under_=A311_(Amazon_UK)?=

    i don't know about there, but here in the usa, i just got a 1gb
    corsair/x133 for $19 including shipping. now it's priced at $24, so i
    must have gotten a deal...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...30&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1459&SubCategory=68

    Lars wrote:
    > Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    > £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.
    >
    > P-&-P is about £3.20 (6 dollars).
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/v6zh
    >
    > ------
    >
    > This seems too cheap to be true.
    >
    > Is there a catch somewhere?

    , Aug 20, 2006

  3. Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under #11 (Amazon UK)

    Lars wrote:

    > This seems too cheap to be true.
    > Is there a catch somewhere?

    Probably not. Flash memory prices have really been plummeting.

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com
    Eric Schreiber, Aug 20, 2006
  4. Lars

    NO SPAM Guest

    "Eric Schreiber" <eric at ericschreiber dot com> wrote in message
    > Lars wrote:
    >
    >> This seems too cheap to be true.
    >> Is there a catch somewhere?

    > Probably not. Flash memory prices have really been plummeting.

    And what speed is the Viking card you bought?
    NO SPAM, Aug 20, 2006
  5. Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under #11 (Amazon UK)

    NO SPAM wrote:

    >>> This seems too cheap to be true. Is there a catch somewhere?

    >> Probably not. Flash memory prices have really been plummeting.

    > And what speed is the Viking card you bought?

    I don't understand your question in context of my post.

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com
    Eric Schreiber, Aug 20, 2006
  6. Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under #11 (Amazon UK)

    In rec.photo.digital Eric Schreiber <eric at ericschreiber dot com> wrote:
    : NO SPAM wrote:

    : >>> This seems too cheap to be true. Is there a catch somewhere?

    : >> Probably not. Flash memory prices have really been plummeting.

    : > And what speed is the Viking card you bought?

    : I don't understand your question in context of my post.

    The answer may explain how the two apparently identical cards can be so
    widely different prices. If one card is a relatively slow card and one is
    a extremely fast card, the higher speed one would tend to be more
    expensive. So even tho both cards have the same capacity and be by the
    same manufacturer the price difference can be legitimate if the cards vary
    in other ways.

    Of course there have been a few less than honorable sellers on the web who
    have been selling relabeled knockoffs that could be most anything. So It
    is probably safer to stick with well known and stable sellers who will be
    there to work with if something less than correct is discovered. Even some
    reliable sellers have fallen afowl of the fraudulent sellers. But
    honorable retailers tend to be good about making it right.

    Randy

    =========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Aug 20, 2006
  7. Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under #11 (Amazon UK)

    Randy Berbaum wrote:

    > : I don't understand your question in context of my post.

    > The answer may explain how the two apparently identical cards can be
    > so widely different prices. If one card is a relatively slow card and
    > one is a extremely fast card, the higher speed one would tend to be
    > more expensive.

    I suppose that might be was NO SPAM was getting at, but if so he's
    completely lost the plot.

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com
    Eric Schreiber, Aug 20, 2006
  8. Lars

    minnesotti Guest

    Lars wrote:
    > Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    > £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.

    In Australia, the prices for flash memory cards are a way too high.
    Even at the cheapest on-line seller, a 1GB SD card is sold for A$70
    (US$55). When I went to eBay, I did somewhat better -- I bough a
    low-build-quality no-name high-speed 2GB card for A$70 (US$55), postage
    included. However, this does not come even close to the deals which are
    offered in the US, e.g. at newegg.com. Unfortunately, newegg and other
    similar on-line sellers do not ship overseas.

    minnesotti, Aug 20, 2006
  9. Lars

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A311_=28?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?Amazon_UK=29?=

    Lars wrote:
    > Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    > £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.
    >
    > P-&-P is about £3.20 (6 dollars).
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/v6zh
    >
    > ------
    >
    > This seems too cheap to be true.
    >
    > Is there a catch somewhere?

    No. Flash memory has become very cheap. I have seen local ads for 1GB
    SD cards for as little as $12 (US).
    Only a bit over a year ago, I spend $65 for 256 meg. Now if these
    prices could just be applied to gasoline (petrol). sigh.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 20, 2006
  10. Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under ?11 (Amazon UK)

    In rec.photo.digital Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    : No. Flash memory has become very cheap. I have seen local ads for 1GB
    : SD cards for as little as $12 (US).
    : Only a bit over a year ago, I spend $65 for 256 meg. Now if these
    : prices could just be applied to gasoline (petrol). sigh.

    MPG= Miles per Gigabite?
    :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Aug 20, 2006
  11. Lars

    Gavin Guest

    Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under #11 (Amazon UK)

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:54:56 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum
    <> wrote:

    >In rec.photo.digital Eric Schreiber <eric at ericschreiber dot com> wrote:
    >: NO SPAM wrote:
    >
    >: >>> This seems too cheap to be true. Is there a catch somewhere?
    >
    >: >> Probably not. Flash memory prices have really been plummeting.
    >
    >: > And what speed is the Viking card you bought?
    >
    >: I don't understand your question in context of my post.
    >
    >The answer may explain how the two apparently identical cards can be so
    >widely different prices. If one card is a relatively slow card and one is
    >a extremely fast card, the higher speed one would tend to be more
    >expensive. So even tho both cards have the same capacity and be by the
    >same manufacturer the price difference can be legitimate if the cards vary
    >in other ways.

    Viking don't generally put times ratios on you have standard and high
    speed.

    My last viking SD card was a stickered up standard toshiba card
    Gavin, Aug 20, 2006
  12. Lars

    Gizmo Guest

    "minnesotti" <> wrote in message

    Lars wrote:
    > Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    > £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.

    In Australia, the prices for flash memory cards are a way too high.
    Even at the cheapest on-line seller, a 1GB SD card is sold for A$70
    (US$55). When I went to eBay, I did somewhat better -- I bough a
    low-build-quality no-name high-speed 2GB card for A$70 (US$55), postage
    included. However, this does not come even close to the deals which are
    offered in the US, e.g. at newegg.com. Unfortunately, newegg and other
    similar on-line sellers do not ship overseas.

    These guys will ship to Aus:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/

    I've ordered from them many times and never had a problem. And they're cheap
    ;o)

    Gizmo, Aug 20, 2006
  13. Lars

    Ben Brugman Guest

    > Only a bit over a year ago, I spend $65 for 256 meg. Now if these prices
    > could just be applied to gasoline (petrol). sigh.

    If the advancement in electronics would apply to cars,
    We would kwow all be able to drive a Rolls Royce for a price of
    under a dollar. It would drive around the world on one Gallon.
    And four of them would fit on a pinhead.

    Ben
    Ben Brugman, Aug 20, 2006
  14. Lars

    Unspam Guest

    Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under =?ISO-8859-1?B?ow==?=11(Amazon UK)

    > Lars wrote:
    >> Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    >> £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.

    > In Australia, the prices for flash memory cards are a way too high.
    > Even at the cheapest on-line seller, a 1GB SD card is sold for A$70
    > (US$55). When I went to eBay, I did somewhat better -- I bough a
    > low-build-quality no-name high-speed 2GB card for A$70 (US$55), postage
    > included. However, this does not come even close to the deals which are
    > offered in the US, e.g. at newegg.com. Unfortunately, newegg and other
    > similar on-line sellers do not ship overseas.
    >
    > ..

    I know a shop in London where you can get Fuji 1GB (I wouldn't use anything
    bigger) 80x for £25 (cash only). Cameras can't keep up with higher speeds
    anyway but you save time downloading from a computer.
    Unspam, Aug 20, 2006
  15. Lars

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:41:26 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum wrote:

    > : No. Flash memory has become very cheap. I have seen local ads for 1GB
    > : SD cards for as little as $12 (US).
    > : Only a bit over a year ago, I spend $65 for 256 meg. Now if these
    > : prices could just be applied to gasoline (petrol). sigh.
    >
    > MPG= Miles per Gigabite?
    > :)

    That would make for some interesting autos, but I wouldn't be
    brave enough to drive or ride as a passenger in a Point & Shoot.
    Come to think of it, some camera owners may cry and moan about poor
    battery performance, but it's the same with cars. Their batteries
    also don't provide the mileage most people expect. But all things
    considered, camera owners will happily continue using battery
    powered cameras. Even diehard viewfinder lovers/LCD haters would
    end up holding cameras with arms extended, using the LCD to frame
    shots just to avoid breathing their petrol powered camera's fumes.
    But if it happens, performance would be measured using GPG
    (Gigabytes Per Gallon) and nature photographers heading out into the
    wild for an extended shoot might bring along an extra couple of hip
    flasks. One for themselves, the other for their camera. :)
    ASAAR, Aug 20, 2006
  16. Lars

    Lars wrote:
    > Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    > £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.
    >
    > P-&-P is about £3.20 (6 dollars).
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/v6zh
    >
    > ------
    >
    > This seems too cheap to be true.
    >
    > Is there a catch somewhere?

    ebuyer.com also
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/82393/rb/21155727424
    , Aug 20, 2006
  17. Lars

    DCA Guest

    Unspam wrote:

    >> Lars wrote:
    >>> Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    >>> £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.

    >> In Australia, the prices for flash memory cards are a way too high.
    >> Even at the cheapest on-line seller, a 1GB SD card is sold for A$70
    >> (US$55). When I went to eBay, I did somewhat better -- I bough a
    >> low-build-quality no-name high-speed 2GB card for A$70 (US$55), postage
    >> included. However, this does not come even close to the deals which are
    >> offered in the US, e.g. at newegg.com. Unfortunately, newegg and other
    >> similar on-line sellers do not ship overseas.
    >>
    >> ..
    >>

    > I know a shop in London where you can get Fuji 1GB (I wouldn't use anything
    > bigger) 80x for £25 (cash only). Cameras can't keep up with higher speeds
    > anyway but you save time downloading from a computer.

    Which is double what you need to pay for this spec! Thanks!
    DCA, Aug 20, 2006
  18. Lars

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > : No. Flash memory has become very cheap. I have seen local ads for 1GB
    > : SD cards for as little as $12 (US).
    > : Only a bit over a year ago, I spend $65 for 256 meg. Now if these
    > : prices could just be applied to gasoline (petrol). sigh.
    >
    > MPG= Miles per Gigabite?
    > :)
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > ==========
    > Randy Berbaum
    > Champaign, IL

    No, these days is is Millimeters per Gigabuck. Sigh.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 20, 2006
  19. Lars

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:41:26 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum wrote:
    >
    >> : No. Flash memory has become very cheap. I have seen local ads for 1GB
    >> : SD cards for as little as $12 (US).
    >> : Only a bit over a year ago, I spend $65 for 256 meg. Now if these
    >> : prices could just be applied to gasoline (petrol). sigh.
    >>
    >> MPG= Miles per Gigabite?
    >> :)

    > That would make for some interesting autos, but I wouldn't be
    > brave enough to drive or ride as a passenger in a Point & Shoot.
    > Come to think of it, some camera owners may cry and moan about poor
    > battery performance, but it's the same with cars. Their batteries
    > also don't provide the mileage most people expect. But all things
    > considered, camera owners will happily continue using battery
    > powered cameras. Even diehard viewfinder lovers/LCD haters would
    > end up holding cameras with arms extended, using the LCD to frame
    > shots just to avoid breathing their petrol powered camera's fumes.
    > But if it happens, performance would be measured using GPG
    > (Gigabytes Per Gallon) and nature photographers heading out into the
    > wild for an extended shoot might bring along an extra couple of hip
    > flasks. One for themselves, the other for their camera. :)

    What we need is a breakthrough in battery technology comparable to what
    we have had in memory technology in the past 10 years.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 20, 2006
  20. Lars

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Re: trick? - 1GB Viking SD memory under =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A311?= (Amazon UK)

    Lars wrote:

    > Amazon UK is advertising 1GB of SD memory by Viking for
    > £10.49 (20 US dollars) including all taxes.
    >
    > P-&-P is about £3.20 (6 dollars).
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/v6zh
    >
    > ------
    >
    > This seems too cheap to be true.
    >
    > Is there a catch somewhere?

    No catch.

    Flash memory prices are falling. The 'jobber' names are dirt cheap
    nowadays. The big names should follow suit in time.

    How about a four Gig 120X card for 79.99 US (£42.51)

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2315945&CatId=376
    Jim Townsend, Aug 20, 2006