Triangle on Digital

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Mar 29, 2013.

  1. On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 21:57:23 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <kj83es$mbr$>, , geopelia
    >says...
    >>
    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >> > A very BAD Move,.
    >> >
    >> > A Full HD digital TV would be far better, clearer picture better
    >> > resolution and no cut off screen.
    >> >
    >> > Gee they even had 32" ones that other day for $400+ Never ever get one
    >> > from the Warehouse as they are not IPS screens only TFT low brightness
    >> > and contrast and a short viewing angle
    >> >
    >> > But for a 29" CRT you need a 40" LCD to replace it

    >> We've got a great TV, a Loewe.CRT. Had it for years.

    >As good as it may be, is it widescreen? Even if it is, the picture
    >quality of the LCD screens now is superior to CRT. LCD screens are also
    >*much* larger and *much* lighter.
    >
    >It's a bit like saying I own a forty year old quality gramaphone.

    Problems with CRT TV's is the colour tracking the guns ware out and that
    you get a colour cast, geometric problems and low resolution..

    Frank Williams, Mar 31, 2013

  2. "Frank Williams" wrote in message

    >Yes it was in its days but its worth less now, and the colors would have
    >faded its only a CRT 4:3 screen with low resolution, time to get rid of
    >it.

    So are you going to buy her a new Telly?

    Robin Halligan, Apr 1, 2013

  3. On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 18:40:50 +1300, "Robin Halligan"
    <> wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" wrote in message
    >

    >>Yes it was in its days but its worth less now, and the colors would have
    >>faded its only a CRT 4:3 screen with low resolution, time to get rid of
    >>it.

    >So are you going to buy her a new Telly?

    No they have more money than me and I think from the comments well off.

    Frank Williams, Apr 1, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    > On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 18:40:50 +1300, "Robin Halligan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Frank Williams" wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Yes it was in its days but its worth less now, and the colors would have
    >>>faded its only a CRT 4:3 screen with low resolution, time to get rid of
    >>>it.

    >>So are you going to buy her a new Telly?

    > No they have more money than me and I think from the comments well off.

    I'm living on the single pension. My savings may last till I'm ninety but I
    wouldn't bet on it.
    Just hoping not too many things break down, they are all getting old, like
    me.

    I grew up before TV, and our first was a small black and white one.
    So I don't want an enormous one, like the folks today.

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> But for a 29" CRT you need a 40" LCD to replace it

    >> We've got a great TV, a Loewe.CRT. Had it for years.

    > If you tried something newer you'd probably realise that it's actually not
    > that great at all. Especially when your low resolution is dropped even
    > further to crop to fit wide screen pictures.
    >
    > I fix Loewe TVs. I do know.
    >
    > geoff

    You would know our model,
    I think its called Cantus.

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I used to like "Town and Around". I wonder if they will ever bring it
    >> back.
    >> But I expect most of the folks there are now retired or dead.

    > Keith Bracey died decades ago !
    >
    > geoff

    Is Barbara Magner still around?

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  7. On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 08:32:35 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:55:55 +1300, Mutley
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Correct. Triangle / Face "The Face of public broadcasting" is only
    >>>on pay TV Sky and analog in Auckland until shutdown on Dec 01 then
    >>>only on Sky.. So much for "The Face of public broadcasting.."

    >>And TVNZ is shutting down the BBC broadcast.

    >True?? If so I guess I'll have to take to downloading "Click"
    >again..

    Here is the Info on it

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10874041

    This country is falling apart.

    Frank Williams, Apr 1, 2013
  8. On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 08:57:13 +1300, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> On 1/04/2013 8:22 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    >>> No they have more money than me and I think from the comments well off.
    >>>

    >> How do you come to that conclusion Woger? They have 1 CRT TV that they
    >> are disinclined to upgrade on the grounds of cost,

    >If they ever bought a Loewe, they certainly at one stage had more disposable
    >cash than most of us.
    >
    >geoff

    Plus the Car they have..?

    Frank Williams, Apr 1, 2013
  9. On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 09:01:58 +1300, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I grew up before TV, and our first was a small black and white one.
    >> So I don't want an enormous one, like the folks today.

    >But Geo, that would seem to be "in principle" rather than for realistic
    >grounds.
    >
    >With any widescreen pictures (and anything made in the last 5 years pretty
    >much is widescreen), your already low picture resolution just got even
    >worse.
    >
    >And Sky I say is worth it if nothing else just for BBC Knowledge channel, UK
    >TV, and a few others !
    >
    >On regular TV (Freeview) Prime seems to have taken over as main purveyor of
    >quality drama and documentaries. But TV One is making a token fightback.
    >That's not to say that there is something free worthwhile watching every day
    >of the week though .....
    >

    >geoff

    You seem to have forgoten Choise..?

    Frank Williams, Apr 1, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 02/04/13 02:50, EMB wrote:
    > On 2/04/2013 12:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> I'm living on the single pension.

    > This statement made me realise that I have obviously missed the passing
    > of your beloved "hubby". A quick trawl through the obituaries on the NZ
    > Herald site confirmed this. Please accept my belated condolences and
    > sympathy for your loss.

    I'll second that. Sorry to hear about it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 1, 2013
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 08:57:13 +1300, "geoff" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> How do you come to that conclusion Woger? They have 1 CRT TV that they
    >>> are disinclined to upgrade on the grounds of cost,

    >>If they ever bought a Loewe, they certainly at one stage had more
    >>disposable
    >>cash than most of us.
    >>
    >>geoff
    >>

    > Plus the Car they have..?

    The Loewe was Hubby's idea.
    Buy quality, it's the cheapest in the end.
    And unless you need an item immediately, save up and pay cash.
    And only use a credit card if you have enough in the bank to pay it off.
    But surely everybody knows that.

    In one's eighties, most items will see one out, so why change them?
    Managing on the pension is hard enough without unnecessary luxuries.
    And any savings will be needed to cover the next twenty years.

    And why buy a new car, when we have to have a medical for a driving licence
    every two years?

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/04/2013 12:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> I'm living on the single pension.

    > This statement made me realise that I have obviously missed the passing of
    > your beloved "hubby". A quick trawl through the obituaries on the NZ
    > Herald site confirmed this. Please accept my belated condolences and
    > sympathy for your loss.

    Thank you.

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 02/04/13 02:50, EMB wrote:
    >> On 2/04/2013 12:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm living on the single pension.

    >> This statement made me realise that I have obviously missed the passing
    >> of your beloved "hubby". A quick trawl through the obituaries on the NZ
    >> Herald site confirmed this. Please accept my belated condolences and
    >> sympathy for your loss.
    >>

    > I'll second that. Sorry to hear about it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you.

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I grew up before TV, and our first was a small black and white one.
    >> So I don't want an enormous one, like the folks today.

    > But Geo, that would seem to be "in principle" rather than for realistic
    > grounds.
    >
    > With any widescreen pictures (and anything made in the last 5 years pretty
    > much is widescreen), your already low picture resolution just got even
    > worse.
    >
    > And Sky I say is worth it if nothing else just for BBC Knowledge channel,
    > UK TV, and a few others !
    >
    > On regular TV (Freeview) Prime seems to have taken over as main purveyor
    > of quality drama and documentaries. But TV One is making a token
    > fightback. That's not to say that there is something free worthwhile
    > watching every day of the week though .....
    >

    > geoff

    There's radio of course, and just about anything on the computer.
    And the library.
    And Sky documentaries often end up on Prime.

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    > On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 08:32:35 +1300, Mutlley <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >>>And TVNZ is shutting down the BBC broadcast.

    >>True?? If so I guess I'll have to take to downloading "Click"
    >>again..

    > Here is the Info on it
    >

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10874041
    >

    > This country is falling apart.

    Poor old Britain is even worse. And not only the weather.

    geopelia, Apr 1, 2013
  16. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kjd11r$o8n$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 08:57:13 +1300, "geoff" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>"EMB" <> wrote in message

    > >>If they ever bought a Loewe, they certainly at one stage had more
    > >>disposable
    > >>cash than most of us.
    > >>
    > >>geoff
    > >>

    > > Plus the Car they have..?

    > The Loewe was Hubby's idea.
    > Buy quality, it's the cheapest in the end.
    > And unless you need an item immediately, save up and pay cash.
    > And only use a credit card if you have enough in the bank to pay it off.
    > But surely everybody knows that.
    >
    > In one's eighties, most items will see one out, so why change them?
    > Managing on the pension is hard enough without unnecessary luxuries.

    Is watching TV a luxury now? You can now purchase a 32-40" widescreen
    format TV (it's all widescreen now - so a widescreen signal will look
    horrible on your old TV), for very little money. A small handful of
    hundred dollars.

    What else are you going to do with your money? :) Really, it's a very
    cheap entertainment for older and less mobile folk.

    I think you should go into a big electical shop and have a look at some
    modern TV's on working display. You won't believe the difference.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 2, 2013
  17. geopelia

    bugalugs Guest

    On 2/04/2013 10:11 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > On 02/04/13 02:50, EMB wrote:
    >> On 2/04/2013 12:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm living on the single pension.

    >> This statement made me realise that I have obviously missed the passing
    >> of your beloved "hubby". A quick trawl through the obituaries on the NZ
    >> Herald site confirmed this. Please accept my belated condolences and
    >> sympathy for your loss.
    >>

    > I'll second that. Sorry to hear about it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Sorry to hear of his passing

    Cam

    bugalugs, Apr 2, 2013
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> In article <kjd11r$o8n$>, , geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> The Loewe was Hubby's idea.
    >>> Buy quality, it's the cheapest in the end.
    >>> And unless you need an item immediately, save up and pay cash.
    >>> And only use a credit card if you have enough in the bank to pay it off.
    >>> But surely everybody knows that.
    >>>
    >>> In one's eighties, most items will see one out, so why change them?
    >>> Managing on the pension is hard enough without unnecessary luxuries.

    >> Is watching TV a luxury now?

    > Er, it's always been a luxury.

    Of course. But some sort of set is nice to have, even though Sky now has
    most of the best live events.
    A battery radio of some kind is now a necessity though, in case of some
    disaster.

    >> You can now purchase a 32-40" widescreen
    >> format TV (it's all widescreen now - so a widescreen signal will look
    >> horrible on your old TV), for very little money. A small handful of
    >> hundred dollars.
    >>
    >> What else are you going to do with your money? :) Really, it's a very
    >> cheap entertainment for older and less mobile folk.

    Ration it out to last the rest of my lifetime. I could reach 100. Or perhaps
    only 95.
    Insurance now takes a huge chunk out of the pension, but that is essential.
    So are rates, power, water etc.
    And in a home that is over 40 years old, some appliances are getting to the
    end of their lives.
    As they break down, I go and see what The Good Guys have got.

    You're as old as you feel, these days.
    They say a woman is never older than eighteen in her heart, and I find that
    is true!
    But they don't say the same for her poor old feet, unfortunately.

    >> I think you should go into a big electical shop and have a look at some
    >> modern TV's on working display. You won't believe the difference.

    I don't see much difference in the picture itself. Our TV seems better than
    most.
    Some are much thinner though, which could be an advantage.

    geopelia, Apr 2, 2013
  19. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "bugalugs" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/04/2013 10:11 a.m., Enkidu wrote:

    >>> This statement made me realise that I have obviously missed the passing
    >>> of your beloved "hubby". A quick trawl through the obituaries on the NZ
    >>> Herald site confirmed this. Please accept my belated condolences and
    >>> sympathy for your loss.
    >>>

    >> I'll second that. Sorry to hear about it.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Sorry to hear of his passing
    >
    > Cam

    Thank you.

    When North Shore Hospital could do no more for him, he went to a nice
    private hospital but only lived six days.
    They couldn't let me have him home, which was all he wanted.
    Shame we missed our Golden Wedding though, that would have been next year.
    But we were luckier than many couples these days.

    geopelia, Apr 2, 2013
  20. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 23:51:05 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >"geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>"bugalugs" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry to hear of his passing
    >>>
    >>> Cam

    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>When North Shore Hospital could do no more for him, he went to a nice
    >>private hospital but only lived six days.
    >>They couldn't let me have him home, which was all he wanted.
    >>Shame we missed our Golden Wedding though, that would have been next year.
    >>But we were luckier than many couples these days.

    >Geo
    >I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Your contributions here have been
    >appreciated by many of us, long may that last.
    >Tony

    And I am very sorry to hear of the death of your husband Geo.
    Rich

    Rich80105, Apr 2, 2013