    It appears that Xen can work from an imaged disk of a working OS, but
    the problem is my installation is a bit funky. When I run scf /scannow ,
    it reports errors, so I really need a fresh installation.
    miso, Jun 9, 2012

  2. miso

    Steve Foster Guest

    miso wrote:

    > I want to experiment with virtualization. Given that MS sniffs every
    > installation of Win7, what I want to do is set up linux with Xen,
    > then test win7 under Xen virtualization without MS getting antsy
    > about seeing my present copy being installed probably a few times as
    > I work out the bugs.

    Regardless of virtualisation solution, don't assign the VM a network
    card. W7 will not then be able to activate (or "phone home"). You can
    practice installing it as much as you like.

    Add a NIC to the VM when you're ready to activate it (or start a new
    one with nic).

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
    Steve Foster, Jun 9, 2012

  3. miso

    Steve Foster Guest

    miso wrote:

    > I want to experiment with virtualization. Given that MS sniffs every
    > installation of Win7, what I want to do is set up linux with Xen,
    > then test win7 under Xen virtualization without MS getting antsy
    > about seeing my present copy being installed probably a few times as
    > I work out the bugs.

    PS Or you can set up an isolated network just for the VM, if you want
    some sort of local networking for the VM.

    Steve Foster, Jun 9, 2012
  4. miso

    miso Guest

    On 6/9/2012 4:30 AM, Steve Foster wrote:
    > miso wrote:
    >
    >> I want to experiment with virtualization. Given that MS sniffs every
    >> installation of Win7, what I want to do is set up linux with Xen,
    >> then test win7 under Xen virtualization without MS getting antsy
    >> about seeing my present copy being installed probably a few times as
    >> I work out the bugs.

    > Regardless of virtualisation solution, don't assign the VM a network
    > card. W7 will not then be able to activate (or "phone home"). You can
    > practice installing it as much as you like.
    >
    > Add a NIC to the VM when you're ready to activate it (or start a new
    > one with nic).

    Good idea. Thanks.
    miso, Jun 9, 2012