    setup screen but the links don't work.

    Any help appreciated,

    Brian.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=, Dec 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Perhaps you could be a little more informative. What links don't work?
    What is your system like, mobo & chipset, type of drives (SATA, IDE) What
    stage of setup (TEXT-GUI)
    Are you setting up RAID?

    John Barnes, Dec 23, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Ruud Guest

    Did you use an ISO recorder? The download is an ISO file and burning it to a
    cd in the conventional way won't work.

    Ruud, Dec 23, 2005
  4. I use a p3 650MHZ, 128mb ram. My drive type is IDE. And it at the GUI stage.
    Don't know what "RAID" is.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=, Dec 23, 2005
  5. I used nero to burn it on a cd. I then opened it with winimage. I go to the
    setup.exe and I get a few options one of which is "run windows xp setup"
    which doesn't work.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=, Dec 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    First question: are you talking about the trial download of Windows XP Pro
    x64? (there is no trial download of ordinary WinXP Pro)

    In a later post, you talked of having a "P3 650MHz" PC? If this is the case
    (Intel Pentium), 64bit Windows was NOT designed to run on your machine. It
    is for AMD64 (and similar Intel 64bit - NOT IA64) type CPUs only.

    Colin Nowell, Dec 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Rick Guest

    When you download a .ISO image you do not extract anything! You select
    "Burn Image to Disc" in you software and it will take care of burning it
    correct. Do not use WinImage, or any other software, to open or extract
    files.

    The .ISO image is a "mirror" image of a bootable CD and has the
    necessary files in it. For 'setup' to run, you must boot from the CD.

    The following link has information on the correct procedure to burn an
    iso image to disc.

    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

    Rick, Dec 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As I recall, the P3 650 is at least 5 years old and barely 32-bit.

    John Barnes, Dec 23, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are apparently in the wrong group as this is for the 64-bit version of
    Windows XP and with no trial download of XP you cannot install XP x64 on
    your computer.

    you should go to Microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    John Barnes, Dec 23, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    Occasionally XP home would install, but XP Professional was a
    nightmare with 256mb ram.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 23, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Rick Guest

    I guess I overlooked what you say directly below.

    What version of Win XP are you attempting to install?

    Rick, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Especially with release of XP SP2, running it on 256 MBs of RAM is painfully
    slow.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 23, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Andre:

    In my opinion the P3 was the last stable Intel processor built.
    I couldn't get XP (prior to SP1) to run, upgraded to a P4. After 2 mother
    boards and 2 processors, not counting other conflicts I upgraded to an AMD
    1700+ (top of the line at the time). At work the best desktop that I've had
    was an 1133m P3, the 3 different P4 machines I've had since break down about
    every three months and are replaced under warranty. The old P3 and its
    predecessor a Pentium MMX are still in service running Windows 98 by
    friends. They were great machines for children to learn with but now that
    they're getting older the machines are too outdated for them. Shortly they
    will be replaced with newer AMD machines that I retired.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 23, 2005
  14. XP Pro x64 trial edition will not run on your computer. It is not a 64-bit
    computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 23, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWV2ZQ==?=

    Randy Guest

    I still run a P3 400MHz-based notebook with only 128M RAM, but running Win2K
    Pro wonderfully. I'm using it right now because my P4 2GHz laptop with 1G
    RAM running XP Home is, as usual, in a state of limbo... it also has 6x the
    hard drive space as the notebook but that doesn't help it.

    And I just installed WinME on a P3 500MHz-based laptop wth 256M RAM, and it
    is also running just fine, even with a 28.8kbps modem for dial-up Internet
    access. People rag all over that OS, but I've had nothing but good luck with
    it (also had it on a dual P3 Xeon 500MHz/512KB-based workstation with 256M
    RAM).

    People get accustomed to thinking the only viable systems are those with the
    newest and most expensive CPUs (and OSs), but a good clean system with an
    older, slower, cheaper CPU can often times perform just about every function
    I ask of it, darned near as well as the P4 laptop.

    But alas, there will be no x64 on those systems... Life goes on.

    Randy, Dec 26, 2005