trendmicro blocking its own website!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected that,
    they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak English.

    But there is a site to click on, http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    where I could ask their experts.
    I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front of
    the website address.
    Other websites on the same page are also blocked.

    So I tried typing it in instead of clicking it. Still blocked.

    Why on earth would they block their own website?

    I'm trying to renew my subscription and only wanted to know if I could get a
    disc to do this rather than a lot of download instructions, which I find
    difficult to follow. A very simple question, I would have thought.

    They have a backup CD, which might be what I want. I could buy it as well as
    the program.
    Does anyone know please?

    Has anyone else found them blocking their own websites?

    How would I unblock them please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Mar 2, 2010

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    > nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected that,
    > they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak English.
    >
    > But there is a site to click on, http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    > where I could ask their experts.
    > I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front of
    > the website address.
    > Other websites on the same page are also blocked.
    >
    > So I tried typing it in instead of clicking it. Still blocked.
    >
    > Why on earth would they block their own website?
    >
    > I'm trying to renew my subscription and only wanted to know if I could get a
    > disc to do this rather than a lot of download instructions, which I find
    > difficult to follow. A very simple question, I would have thought.
    >
    > They have a backup CD, which might be what I want. I could buy it as well as
    > the program.
    > Does anyone know please?
    >
    > Has anyone else found them blocking their own websites?
    >
    > How would I unblock them please?

    Geo, when I go to that URL I see the Trend Micro "Submit a support case"
    page. Your ISP *might* be blocking it for some reason.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Mar 2, 2010

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    >> nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected
    >> that, they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak
    >> English.
    >>
    >> But there is a site to click on,
    >> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline where I could ask their
    >> experts.
    >> I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front
    >> of the website address.
    >> Other websites on the same page are also blocked.
    >>
    >> So I tried typing it in instead of clicking it. Still blocked.
    >>
    >> Why on earth would they block their own website?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to renew my subscription and only wanted to know if I could
    >> get a disc to do this rather than a lot of download instructions, which I
    >> find difficult to follow. A very simple question, I would have thought.
    >>
    >> They have a backup CD, which might be what I want. I could buy it as well
    >> as the program.
    >> Does anyone know please?
    >>
    >> Has anyone else found them blocking their own websites?
    >>
    >> How would I unblock them please?
    >>

    > Geo, when I go to that URL I see the Trend Micro "Submit a support case"
    > page. Your ISP *might* be blocking it for some reason.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you. But why on earth would anyone want to block a virus program site?
    I would have thought they would just put it in the spam file.

    Would that be xtra? How do I get them to unblock it please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Mar 2, 2010
  4. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    >>> nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected
    >>> that, they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak
    >>> English.
    >>>
    >>> But there is a site to click on,
    >>> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline where I could ask their
    >>> experts.
    >>> I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front
    >>> of the website address.
    >>> Other websites on the same page are also blocked.
    >>>
    >>> So I tried typing it in instead of clicking it. Still blocked.
    >>>
    >>> Why on earth would they block their own website?
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to renew my subscription and only wanted to know if I could
    >>> get a disc to do this rather than a lot of download instructions, which I
    >>> find difficult to follow. A very simple question, I would have thought.
    >>>
    >>> They have a backup CD, which might be what I want. I could buy it as well
    >>> as the program.
    >>> Does anyone know please?
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else found them blocking their own websites?
    >>>
    >>> How would I unblock them please?
    >>>

    >> Geo, when I go to that URL I see the Trend Micro "Submit a support case"
    >> page. Your ISP *might* be blocking it for some reason.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > Thank you. But why on earth would anyone want to block a virus program site?
    > I would have thought they would just put it in the spam file.
    >
    > Would that be xtra? How do I get them to unblock it please?
    >
    > Geopelia

    It might be the trendmicro software setting or your web-browser security
    setting (rather than xtra) blocking the site, as the site attempts to
    install an Active X control for use if you click an "auto-detect" button
    on the page, and attempts to load the control whether or not you intend
    to use that function. Default security setting in ie 8 brings up a prompt.
    Would have been smarter perhaps for them just to link to another page
    with the "auto detect" Active X, so that problems you seem to have
    experienced don't occur without explanation when you click on a link to
    the site.
    Me, Mar 2, 2010
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Geo, when I go to that URL I see the Trend Micro "Submit a support case"
    >>> page. Your ISP *might* be blocking it for some reason.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>>

    >> Thank you. But why on earth would anyone want to block a virus program
    >> site?
    >> I would have thought they would just put it in the spam file.
    >>
    >> Would that be xtra? How do I get them to unblock it please?
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > It might be the trendmicro software setting or your web-browser security
    > setting (rather than xtra) blocking the site, as the site attempts to
    > install an Active X control for use if you click an "auto-detect" button
    > on the page, and attempts to load the control whether or not you intend to
    > use that function. Default security setting in ie 8 brings up a prompt.
    > Would have been smarter perhaps for them just to link to another page with
    > the "auto detect" Active X, so that problems you seem to have experienced
    > don't occur without explanation when you click on a link to the site.

    Thank you. I don't really understand that, but I've emailed them again
    telling them the site is blocked and asking if a human can answer the
    question.

    No reply as yet.

    I often get warnings about active x blocking some content on sites, but no
    warning with this one. I don't know if it is an auto detect button
    (whatever that is) or not, it just looks like the usual clickable link to
    another website.

    There wasn't any sort of prompt, just "blocked" in front of http.

    I'll fiddle around a bit with it again and see what happens.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Mar 3, 2010
  6. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Me" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. But why on earth would anyone want to block a virus program
    >>> site?
    >>> I would have thought they would just put it in the spam file.
    >>>
    >>> Would that be xtra? How do I get them to unblock it please?
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> It might be the trendmicro software setting or your web-browser security
    >> setting (rather than xtra) blocking the site, as the site attempts to
    >> install an Active X control for use if you click an "auto-detect" button
    >> on the page, and attempts to load the control whether or not you intend to
    >> use that function. Default security setting in ie 8 brings up a prompt.
    >> Would have been smarter perhaps for them just to link to another page with
    >> the "auto detect" Active X, so that problems you seem to have experienced
    >> don't occur without explanation when you click on a link to the site.

    > Thank you. I don't really understand that, but I've emailed them again
    > telling them the site is blocked and asking if a human can answer the
    > question.
    >
    > No reply as yet.
    >
    > I often get warnings about active x blocking some content on sites, but no
    > warning with this one. I don't know if it is an auto detect button
    > (whatever that is) or not, it just looks like the usual clickable link to
    > another website.
    >
    > There wasn't any sort of prompt, just "blocked" in front of http.
    >
    > I'll fiddle around a bit with it again and see what happens.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Sorry - my explanation. You don't get to see the "auto detect" button
    unless you get the page loaded - which you couldn't get to as it was
    blocked.

    If it turns out that it's Trend Micro's application causing that problem
    when settings are at default (ie if you haven't changed anything), then
    that's a bit of egg on their face for bad design/implementation.

    Interesting to see what they say - if they reply.
    Me, Mar 3, 2010
  7. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hmisei$jmr$-september.org>,
    says...

    > I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    > nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected that,
    > they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak English.
    >
    > But there is a site to click on, http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    > where I could ask their experts.
    > I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front of
    > the website address.

    Have you tried typing in the address, into your web browser (eg.
    Internet Explorer).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 3, 2010
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hmisei$jmr$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    >> nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected
    >> that,
    >> they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak
    >> English.
    >>
    >> But there is a site to click on,
    >> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    >> where I could ask their experts.
    >> I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front
    >> of
    >> the website address.

    > Have you tried typing in the address, into your web browser (eg.
    > Internet Explorer).

    Yes, but that is blocked too.
    Geopelia, Mar 3, 2010
  9. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hmlgva$3p9$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <hmisei$jmr$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    > >> nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected
    > >> that,
    > >> they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak
    > >> English.
    > >>
    > >> But there is a site to click on,
    > >> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    > >> where I could ask their experts.
    > >> I clicked it, and found it is blocked. It actually says blocked in front
    > >> of
    > >> the website address.

    > > Have you tried typing in the address, into your web browser (eg.
    > > Internet Explorer).
    > >

    > Yes, but that is blocked too.

    Surely there's an option to unblock or allow it.?

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 4, 2010
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hmlgva$3p9$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <hmisei$jmr$-september.org>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Have you tried typing in the address, into your web browser (eg.
    >> > Internet Explorer).
    >> >

    >> Yes, but that is blocked too.

    > Surely there's an option to unblock or allow it.?

    I can't see anything. Does anybody know how to unblock it please?
    Geopelia, Mar 4, 2010
  11. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-02, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    > nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected that,
    > they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak English.
    >
    > But there is a site to click on, http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    > where I could ask their experts.

    That link works okay for me, Thursday 1830hrs Kiwi time.
    Gordon, Mar 4, 2010
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2010-03-02, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >> I asked trendmicro a question. They sent me their usual stuff that has
    >> nothing to do with what I asked. Well I suppose I should have expected
    >> that,
    >> they seem to do it every time. I suspect their people don't speak
    >> English.
    >>
    >> But there is a site to click on,
    >> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/submitonline
    >> where I could ask their experts.

    > That link works okay for me, Thursday 1830hrs Kiwi time.

    Surprise, surprise! That link on your email above works! :)

    I wonder why the links on the Trendmicro site, and by typing the address in,
    are blocked, and the above isn't.
    But I've clicked all over the site and every question seems to be there with
    an answer, except the one I want.

    (later)

    But to my surprise I've just gone on to the Main Console, and the expiry
    date has now changed to 2011, from 2010, all by itself. I haven't sent in
    any request yet, it just seems to have done it automatically.
    So I've got another year with no worries.

    The wonders of computers are amazing to behold.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Mar 4, 2010
  13. Geopelia <> wrote:

    > The wonders of computers are amazing to behold.

    and frightening to contemplate!

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 4, 2010
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia <> wrote:
    >
    >> The wonders of computers are amazing to behold.

    > and frightening to contemplate!

    Sometimes I think this one knows what I am thinking. Scary!
    Geopelia, Mar 5, 2010
  15. Geopelia <> wrote:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The wonders of computers are amazing to behold.

    >> and frightening to contemplate!
    >>

    > Sometimes I think this one knows what I am thinking. Scary!

    I've just finished rebuilding my system into something reasonably up-to-date
    (not bleeding edge, but sort-of up there) ... but I notice they still
    haven't got a 'do what I mean' or a 'do what I'm thinking' key. I think
    that'll be a while coming yet - but [deity] help us when it does!

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 5, 2010