Trend Micro Titanium Maximun Security 2012

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying I am
    entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.

    When I click on it, I get this

    "As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to this
    latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap forward" etc

    I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago, and
    paid for it.

    Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have already
    got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet Security Pro.

    Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.

    I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've never
    found their Help pages of any use, too technical.

    I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.

    What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2011

  2. On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:40:57 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying I am
    >entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >
    >When I click on it, I get this
    >
    >"As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    >PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to this
    >latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap forward" etc
    >
    >I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago, and
    >paid for it.
    >
    >Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have already
    >got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet Security Pro.
    >
    >Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    >March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.
    >
    >I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've never
    >found their Help pages of any use, too technical.
    >
    >I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.
    >
    >What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >Geopelia

    I do not have Trend Micro, but my Norton 360 seems to work the same
    way. The 2012 version comes out in 2011, and if you have a current
    subscription, you are entitled to upgrade to the new version. Before
    deciding to upgrade or not, it pays to check reviews of the new
    version to see if there are any problems, or whether a change to a
    competing product at the end of your subscription is a better idea. I
    would also not be in any great hurry to upgrade until the new version
    is at least a few weeks old, to see if any problems show up.
    Stephen Worthington, Oct 10, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Stephen
    Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    > I do not have Trend Micro, but my Norton 360 seems to work the same
    > way. The 2012 version comes out in 2011,

    <snip>

    Lots of things seem to work that way - 2012 cars for example are release
    in 2011, Office 2012 is released in 2011, July magazines are sold in June,
    etc.

    Most likely this "future dating" nonsense probably started partly due to
    some marketing person who though it would be a good way to con people into
    thinking their product was newer than those using common sense naming with
    the correct date, and then everyeon else copied them. (Magazine publishers
    will often try to tell you that they future date the magazines since the
    stuff you're reading about will be shipping the next month, but that's
    usually just a load of garbage, especially since these days most of what
    they print / review / etc. has already appeared on the Internet.)
    Your Name, Oct 10, 2011
  4. On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:40:57 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying I am
    >entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >
    >When I click on it, I get this
    >
    >"As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    >PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to this
    >latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap forward" etc
    >
    >I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago, and
    >paid for it.
    >
    >Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have already
    >got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet Security Pro.
    >
    >Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    >March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.
    >
    >I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've never
    >found their Help pages of any use, too technical.
    >
    >I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.
    >
    >What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >Geopelia

    You just dont need it and its not rated very well , get some Free stuff.
    Frank Williams, Oct 11, 2011
  5. On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:03:56 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Stephen
    >Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >>
    >> I do not have Trend Micro, but my Norton 360 seems to work the same
    >> way. The 2012 version comes out in 2011,

    ><snip>
    >
    >Lots of things seem to work that way - 2012 cars for example are release
    >in 2011, Office 2012 is released in 2011, July magazines are sold in June,
    >etc.
    >
    >Most likely this "future dating" nonsense probably started partly due to
    >some marketing person who though it would be a good way to con people into
    >thinking their product was newer than those using common sense naming with
    >the correct date, and then everyeon else copied them. (Magazine publishers
    >will often try to tell you that they future date the magazines since the
    >stuff you're reading about will be shipping the next month, but that's
    >usually just a load of garbage, especially since these days most of what
    >they print / review / etc. has already appeared on the Internet.)

    Kaspersky is the one that ever one else does a bench mark to it, a lot
    of Virus checkers slow down your computer, that is why Norton's brought
    out a Gaming version..
    Frank Williams, Oct 11, 2011
  6. On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:33:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying I
    >>am entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >>
    >> When I click on it, I get this
    >>
    >> "As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    >> PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to
    >> this latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap
    >> forward" etc
    >>
    >> I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago, and
    >> paid for it.
    >>
    >> Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have
    >> already got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet Security
    >> Pro.
    >>
    >> Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    >> March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.
    >>
    >> I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've
    >> never found their Help pages of any use, too technical.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.
    >>
    >> What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    >Thanks to all. I think I'll wait until my subscription runs out and see
    >what is on offer then.
    >
    >Unless somebody has the same version I have and knows about this offer, I
    >can't be certain of what is happening.
    >
    >I've had Trend Micro since I bought the computer, it was called PC-cillin
    >then, and I just upgrade every year or so.

    It has a very poor rating Dump it..
    Frank Williams, Oct 14, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:33:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying I
    >>>am entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >>>
    >>> When I click on it, I get this
    >>>
    >>> "As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    >>> PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to
    >>> this latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap
    >>> forward" etc
    >>>
    >>> I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago,
    >>> and
    >>> paid for it.
    >>>
    >>> Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have
    >>> already got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet Security
    >>> Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    >>> March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've
    >>> never found their Help pages of any use, too technical.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.
    >>>
    >>> What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >>Thanks to all. I think I'll wait until my subscription runs out and see
    >>what is on offer then.
    >>
    >>Unless somebody has the same version I have and knows about this offer, I
    >>can't be certain of what is happening.
    >>
    >>I've had Trend Micro since I bought the computer, it was called PC-cillin
    >>then, and I just upgrade every year or so.
    >>

    > It has a very poor rating Dump it..

    I find it works all right for the stuff I do.
    Geopelia, Oct 14, 2011
  8. Geopelia

    turk Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:33:06 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying
    >>I am entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >>
    >> When I click on it, I get this
    >>
    >> "As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    >> PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to
    >> this latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap
    >> forward" etc
    >>
    >> I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago,
    >> and paid for it.
    >>
    >> Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have
    >> already got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet
    >> Security Pro.
    >>
    >> Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    >> March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.
    >>
    >> I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've
    >> never found their Help pages of any use, too technical.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.
    >>
    >> What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > Thanks to all. I think I'll wait until my subscription runs out and see
    > what is on offer then.
    >
    > Unless somebody has the same version I have and knows about this offer,
    > I can't be certain of what is happening.
    >
    > I've had Trend Micro since I bought the computer, it was called
    > PC-cillin then, and I just upgrade every year or so.

    Isn't this the one that a PC magazine said of "There are 3 things about
    PC-Cillin, 1. it doesn't work 2 It doesn't work 3. It doesn't work
    turk, Oct 14, 2011
  9. On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:55:49 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:33:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks to all. I think I'll wait until my subscription runs out and see
    >>>what is on offer then.
    >>>
    >>>Unless somebody has the same version I have and knows about this offer, I
    >>>can't be certain of what is happening.
    >>>
    >>>I've had Trend Micro since I bought the computer, it was called PC-cillin
    >>>then, and I just upgrade every year or so.
    >>>

    >> It has a very poor rating Dump it..

    >I find it works all right for the stuff I do.

    IT DOES NOT WORK READ SOME REVIEWS.
    Frank Williams, Oct 14, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "turk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:33:06 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have Titanium Maximum Security 2011. I get a notice popping up saying
    >>>I am entitled to a free upgrade to Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >>>
    >>> When I click on it, I get this
    >>>
    >>> "As a Trend Micro customer with a current subscription to Trend Micro
    >>> PC-cillin Internet Security Pro, you are entitled to a free upgrade to
    >>> this latest version. Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a huge leap
    >>> forward" etc
    >>>
    >>> I changed from Internet Security Pro to Titanium 2011 a long time ago,
    >>> and paid for it.
    >>>
    >>> Is this free upgrade they are offering me the Titanium which I have
    >>> already got? It took ages to make the change over from Internet
    >>> Security Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Or is it an upgrade from Titanium 2011 to 2012? My subscription ends in
    >>> March 2012. The 2012, if I install it, will also end then.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried their Help page but my question doesn't post to them. I've
    >>> never found their Help pages of any use, too technical.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking of leaving doing anything until my subscription ends.
    >>>
    >>> What do people here think? Does anyone have Trend Micro?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >> Thanks to all. I think I'll wait until my subscription runs out and see
    >> what is on offer then.
    >>
    >> Unless somebody has the same version I have and knows about this offer,
    >> I can't be certain of what is happening.
    >>
    >> I've had Trend Micro since I bought the computer, it was called
    >> PC-cillin then, and I just upgrade every year or so.

    > Isn't this the one that a PC magazine said of "There are 3 things about
    > PC-Cillin, 1. it doesn't work 2 It doesn't work 3. It doesn't work

    Is there any way to test whether it is working or not without getting too
    technical?
    It seems to be working all right. It stops people getting my credit card and
    cookies etc.
    Geopelia, Oct 14, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <j7a9ne$hc1$>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "turk" <> wrote in message

    >> > Isn't this the one that a PC magazine said of "There are 3 things about
    >> > PC-Cillin, 1. it doesn't work 2 It doesn't work 3. It doesn't work

    >> Is there any way to test whether it is working or not without getting too
    >> technical?
    >> It seems to be working all right. It stops people getting my credit card
    >> and
    >> cookies etc.

    > If it was not working, how would you know ?
    >
    > The problem with all these programs is that they only protect from known
    > viruses etc. This is why so many machines get infected every year, they
    > find a new exploit and use that.

    The computer man will probably know which is best. I'll see what he thinks
    and get him to install it next time.
    Geopelia, Oct 15, 2011
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <j7b06u$91m$>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >> > If it was not working, how would you know ?
    >> >
    >> > The problem with all these programs is that they only protect from
    >> > known
    >> > viruses etc. This is why so many machines get infected every year, they
    >> > find a new exploit and use that.

    >> The computer man will probably know which is best. I'll see what he
    >> thinks
    >> and get him to install it next time.

    > It will be the one with the highest profit margin for him.

    Probably, but it would have to be a good one or nobody would go back to his
    firm.
    Geopelia, Oct 15, 2011
  13. On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:31:57 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <j7b06u$91m$>,
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >>> The computer man will probably know which is best. I'll see what he
    >>> thinks
    >>> and get him to install it next time.

    >> It will be the one with the highest profit margin for him.

    >Probably, but it would have to be a good one or nobody would go back to his
    >firm.

    Does it have a 2 way firewall..?

    IE stops things from phoning home..?
    Frank Williams, Oct 16, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:31:57 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >>> It will be the one with the highest profit margin for him.

    >>Probably, but it would have to be a good one or nobody would go back to
    >>his
    >>firm.
    >>

    > Does it have a 2 way firewall..?

    It has a firewall, but I don't know the technical stuff about it. The
    version before used to show everything the firewall did, and what computers
    were involved. This version doesn't, I suppose they are somewhere a computer
    man could find them.

    > IE stops things from phoning home..?

    I don't know what that is. If it's necessary I suppose it would do that.
    It stops people getting my credit card and picks up any viruses.
    I have the latest updates.
    A big warning in red comes up if I click on a dangerous web page and tells
    me not to open it, and it shows which web pages are safe and which are
    untested.
    It would also censor Google Images etc if I turned that on, probably for
    parents to protect children, but I'm too old to be shocked by now!
    Geopelia, Oct 16, 2011
  15. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <j7eh80$po4$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:31:57 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>"whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    > >>Probably, but it would have to be a good one or nobody would go back to
    > >>his
    > >>firm.
    > >>

    > > Does it have a 2 way firewall..?

    > It has a firewall, but I don't know the technical stuff about it. The
    > version before used to show everything the firewall did, and what computers
    > were involved. This version doesn't, I suppose they are somewhere a computer
    > man could find them.
    >
    > > IE stops things from phoning home..?

    > I don't know what that is. If it's necessary I suppose it would do that.
    > It stops people getting my credit card and picks up any viruses.
    > I have the latest updates.
    > A big warning in red comes up if I click on a dangerous web page and tells
    > me not to open it, and it shows which web pages are safe and which are
    > untested.
    > It would also censor Google Images etc if I turned that on, probably for
    > parents to protect children, but I'm too old to be shocked by now!

    A review at PC Magazine...

    ?However, its core antivirus protection rates poorly in my test and
    independent tests.?

    ?Trend Micro's suite and standalone antivirus both divert users from
    fraudulent sites that attempt to steal login credentials. However, in
    testing its antiphishing accuracy was 57 percentage points below Norton
    Internet Security 2011 ($69.99 direct for three licenses, 4.5 stars) and
    27 points below Internet Explorer's built-in SmartScreen Filter.

    In truth, the majority of antiphishing products can't beat IE alone?

    Are your Credit Card details on your computer? - if not, there is no way
    for anyone to steal them! - is there. And anyway, it does *not* stop
    people from stealing your credit card details... if I e-mail you,
    purporting to be say Trend Micro Support, and request your credit card
    details, and you believe me, and e-mail them to me - Trend Micro will
    not stop that.

    I don?t believe you are the sort of user that it going to be
    intentionally visiting potentially dangerous sites - looking for illegal
    copies of software, or music, or videos - so I don?t believe you need
    the sort of protection TM offers. It?s ?top-notch? online backup
    probably costs additional money to use (certainly data charges for
    starters), so you probably won?t be using that either.

    I would certainly take advantage of the free upgrade to the latest
    version - your subscription clearly covers you for any new release that
    is available while your subscription is paid-up. After that (as I?ve
    recommended before) I would recommend you not further waste money on a
    commercial security software suite.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 17, 2011
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <j7eh80$po4$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >> > Does it have a 2 way firewall..?

    >> It has a firewall, but I don't know the technical stuff about it. The
    >> version before used to show everything the firewall did, and what
    >> computers
    >> were involved. This version doesn't, I suppose they are somewhere a
    >> computer
    >> man could find them.
    >>
    >> > IE stops things from phoning home..?

    >> I don't know what that is. If it's necessary I suppose it would do that.
    >> It stops people getting my credit card and picks up any viruses.
    >> I have the latest updates.
    >> A big warning in red comes up if I click on a dangerous web page and
    >> tells
    >> me not to open it, and it shows which web pages are safe and which are
    >> untested.
    >> It would also censor Google Images etc if I turned that on, probably for
    >> parents to protect children, but I'm too old to be shocked by now!

    > A review at PC Magazine...

    > ?However, its core antivirus protection rates poorly in my test and
    > independent tests.?
    >
    > ?Trend Micro's suite and standalone antivirus both divert users from
    > fraudulent sites that attempt to steal login credentials. However, in
    > testing its antiphishing accuracy was 57 percentage points below Norton
    > Internet Security 2011 ($69.99 direct for three licenses, 4.5 stars) and
    > 27 points below Internet Explorer's built-in SmartScreen Filter.
    >
    > In truth, the majority of antiphishing products can't beat IE alone?
    >
    > Are your Credit Card details on your computer? - if not, there is no way
    > for anyone to steal them! - is there. And anyway, it does *not* stop
    > people from stealing your credit card details... if I e-mail you,
    > purporting to be say Trend Micro Support, and request your credit card
    > details, and you believe me, and e-mail them to me - Trend Micro will
    > not stop that.

    I have to pay Trend Micro by credit card, they won't accept any other way.
    If I want an upgrade I ask Trend Micro, they send an enormous form to fill
    in, and ways to be sure it is them.
    So far the scammers who pretend to be banks seem to have left Trend Micro
    alone.

    > I don?t believe you are the sort of user that it going to be
    > intentionally visiting potentially dangerous sites - looking for illegal
    > copies of software, or music, or videos - so I don?t believe you need
    > the sort of protection TM offers. It?s ?top-notch? online backup
    > probably costs additional money to use (certainly data charges for
    > starters), so you probably won?t be using that either.

    I don't play games except Code Cracker and Tetris, and don't bother with pop
    music etc
    As far as I know nothing I do is illegal. And I'm over 18, which a lot of
    sites ask.
    How do they know if one is lying, though?

    > I would certainly take advantage of the free upgrade to the latest
    > version - your subscription clearly covers you for any new release that
    > is available while your subscription is paid-up. After that (as I?ve
    > recommended before) I would recommend you not further waste money on a
    > commercial security software suite.

    Thank you.

    Your ' and " are coming out ? on this computer. Is that your machine or
    mine?
    I'll do a scan in case it's a virus.
    Geopelia, Oct 17, 2011
  17. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    > Your ' and " are coming out ? on this computer. Is that your machine
    > or mine?
    > I'll do a scan in case it's a virus.

    I see them the same Geo. It's in his software. No need to scan.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Oct 17, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <j7fsff$e5d$>, , Geopelia
    says...

> [...]

    > > the sort of protection TM offers. It?s ?top-notch? online backup
    > > probably costs additional money to use (certainly data charges for
    > > starters), so you probably won?t be using that either.

    > I don't play games except Code Cracker and Tetris, and don't bother with pop
    > music etc
    > As far as I know nothing I do is illegal. And I'm over 18, which a lot of
    > sites ask.
    > How do they know if one is lying, though?
    >
    > > I would certainly take advantage of the free upgrade to the latest
    > > version - your subscription clearly covers you for any new release that
    > > is available while your subscription is paid-up. After that (as I?ve
    > > recommended before) I would recommend you not further waste money on a
    > > commercial security software suite.
    > >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Your ' and " are coming out ? on this computer. Is that your machine or

    I don't know what went wrong, but I hope (test "quote") that it's fixed
    now. PS: there is no need to do a virus scan!

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 17, 2011
  19. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <-september.org>, Dave
    Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <j7fsff$e5d$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    > >
    > > Your ' and " are coming out ? on this computer. Is that your machine or
    > > mine? I'll do a scan in case it's a virus.

    > I don't know what went wrong, but I hope (test "quote") that it's fixed
    > now. PS: there is no need to do a virus scan!

    Yep. I't almost certainly not a virus or other malware.

    The ? characters simply mean your newsreader doesn't understand the
    character - in this case that means the original person was using
    typographer / "curly" quotes and apostrophes instead of the of text
    standard straight ones.

    Some newsreaders will convert them on sending or recieving, some can
    understand them, and some can't understand them. (There are various
    reasons such as the age of the software or operating system, the character
    encoding of the message, the server type the message passes through, etc.)

    You'll probably have the same problem with other non-standard text
    characters - for example, accented characters like é (e with a / accent
    above it) and à (a with a \ accent above it).
    Your Name, Oct 17, 2011
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in message
    > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > Doe <> wrote:
    >> In article <j7fsff$e5d$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >> >
    >> > Your ' and " are coming out ? on this computer. Is that your machine
    >> > or
    >> > mine? I'll do a scan in case it's a virus.

    >> I don't know what went wrong, but I hope (test "quote") that it's fixed
    >> now. PS: there is no need to do a virus scan!

    > Yep. I't almost certainly not a virus or other malware.
    >
    > The ? characters simply mean your newsreader doesn't understand the
    > character - in this case that means the original person was using
    > typographer / "curly" quotes and apostrophes instead of the of text
    > standard straight ones.
    >
    > Some newsreaders will convert them on sending or recieving, some can
    > understand them, and some can't understand them. (There are various
    > reasons such as the age of the software or operating system, the character
    > encoding of the message, the server type the message passes through, etc.)
    >
    > You'll probably have the same problem with other non-standard text
    > characters - for example, accented characters like é (e with a / accent
    > above it) and à (a with a \ accent above it).

    Thank you. My computer is quite old so it could be that.
    Geopelia, Oct 17, 2011