Trend Micro Pro 2010 Upgrade Installing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Does anyone here understand Trend Micro?

    I have just bought Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Pro2010 Upgrade -
    12 Months and backup CD. Product SKU pro 2010 en12U.

    I've found the booklet for printing out about downloading, but that seems to
    be for installing Pro, not the upgrade.

    Will the Backup CD have all the information on it for the upgrade? I could
    leave that until the CD arrives.

    I think I have got to change from what I've already got, to Pro.

    I've got 2008, upgraded to 2009. I can't find anywhere that says exactly
    what I have got, but I know I did the 2009 upgrade off a CD. it isn't Pro.

    What I think I have got to do is uninstall the upgraded 2008 2009.
    Then I have to follow all the stuff in the booklet. They say it should take
    less than a day.
    (There isn't a CD for that. I can print out the booklet to follow it.)

    They make it sound simple, but I don't think I can do this without making
    some mistake and stuffing it up. There is always some small step that Trend
    Micro leaves out, expecting people to know. I don't know.
    Could someone who doesn't know much manage it? I think I should get the
    computer man, he's probably done dozens of them.

    So I need to know what I should ask the computer man to do. He needs to get
    it started so I can let it run and just follow the last steps once the whole
    Pro has downloaded. Registering it and all that.

    Can I just tell him "Change it to Pro" and leave it all to him? Or do I
    have to get specific and technical?

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Sep 24, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h9evjh$6qj$-september.org>,
    says...
    > Does anyone here understand Trend Micro?
    >
    > I have just bought Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Pro2010 Upgrade -
    > 12 Months and backup CD. Product SKU pro 2010 en12U.
    >
    > I've found the booklet for printing out about downloading, but that seems to
    > be for installing Pro, not the upgrade.
    >
    > Will the Backup CD have all the information on it for the upgrade? I could
    > leave that until the CD arrives.
    >
    > I think I have got to change from what I've already got, to Pro.
    >
    > I've got 2008, upgraded to 2009. I can't find anywhere that says exactly
    > what I have got, but I know I did the 2009 upgrade off a CD. it isn't Pro.
    >
    > What I think I have got to do is uninstall the upgraded 2008 2009.
    > Then I have to follow all the stuff in the booklet. They say it should take
    > less than a day.
    > (There isn't a CD for that. I can print out the booklet to follow it.)
    >
    > They make it sound simple, but I don't think I can do this without making
    > some mistake and stuffing it up. There is always some small step that Trend
    > Micro leaves out, expecting people to know. I don't know.
    > Could someone who doesn't know much manage it? I think I should get the
    > computer man, he's probably done dozens of them.
    >
    > So I need to know what I should ask the computer man to do. He needs to get
    > it started so I can let it run and just follow the last steps once the whole
    > Pro has downloaded. Registering it and all that.
    >
    > Can I just tell him "Change it to Pro" and leave it all to him? Or do I
    > have to get specific and technical?

    Why would you uninstall the previous version. You say you've bought an
    upgrade (it will want to "look" for something to upgrade from - and if
    you uninstall it, it won't find anything!).

    Just stick the CD in and see what it says when it begins - you can
    always back-out of the install, before it actually starts doing the
    install, which will no doubt be a few wizard screens away.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h9evjh$6qj$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> Does anyone here understand Trend Micro?
    >>
    >> I have just bought Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Pro2010
    >> Upgrade -
    >> 12 Months and backup CD. Product SKU pro 2010 en12U.
    >>
    >> I've found the booklet for printing out about downloading, but that seems
    >> be for installing Pro, not the upgrade.
    >>
    >> Will the Backup CD have all the information on it for the upgrade? I
    >> could
    >> leave that until the CD arrives.
    >>
    >> I think I have got to change from what I've already got, to Pro.
    >>
    >> I've got 2008, upgraded to 2009. I can't find anywhere that says exactly
    >> what I have got, but I know I did the 2009 upgrade off a CD. it isn't
    >> Pro.
    >>
    >> What I think I have got to do is uninstall the upgraded 2008 2009.
    >> Then I have to follow all the stuff in the booklet. They say it should
    >> take
    >> less than a day.
    >> (There isn't a CD for that. I can print out the booklet to follow it.)
    >>
    >> They make it sound simple, but I don't think I can do this without making
    >> some mistake and stuffing it up. There is always some small step that
    >> Trend
    >> Micro leaves out, expecting people to know. I don't know.
    >> Could someone who doesn't know much manage it? I think I should get the
    >> computer man, he's probably done dozens of them.
    >>
    >> So I need to know what I should ask the computer man to do. He needs to
    >> get
    >> it started so I can let it run and just follow the last steps once the
    >> whole
    >> Pro has downloaded. Registering it and all that.
    >>
    >> Can I just tell him "Change it to Pro" and leave it all to him? Or do I
    >> have to get specific and technical?

    > Why would you uninstall the previous version. You say you've bought an
    > upgrade (it will want to "look" for something to upgrade from - and if
    > you uninstall it, it won't find anything!).
    >
    > Just stick the CD in and see what it says when it begins - you can
    > always back-out of the install, before it actually starts doing the
    > install, which will no doubt be a few wizard screens away.

    Thank you.

    I think I have to uninstall the previous version if I am going to install
    Pro. It says so anyway. I think the upgrade follows on from that. I can
    probably do the upgrade from the CD when that arrives( it has been shipped)
    once Pro is installed.
    I have no CD for changing to Pro, just very complicated instructions for
    the download. (It's a special offer with $100 off the price. Download only)

    This is the sort of thing that I might get wrong, and be left with bits of
    previous versions gumming up the works. The computer man got rid of all the
    earlier bits last time he called.
    Geopelia, Sep 24, 2009
  4. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h9fn54$j85$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <h9evjh$6qj$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >> Does anyone here understand Trend Micro?
    > >>
    > >> I have just bought Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Pro2010
    > >> Upgrade -
    > >> 12 Months and backup CD. Product SKU pro 2010 en12U.
    > >>
    > >> I've found the booklet for printing out about downloading, but that seems
    > >> be for installing Pro, not the upgrade.
    > >>
    > >> Will the Backup CD have all the information on it for the upgrade? I
    > >> could
    > >> leave that until the CD arrives.
    > >>
    > >> I think I have got to change from what I've already got, to Pro.
    > >>
    > >> I've got 2008, upgraded to 2009. I can't find anywhere that says exactly
    > >> what I have got, but I know I did the 2009 upgrade off a CD. it isn't
    > >> Pro.
    > >>
    > >> What I think I have got to do is uninstall the upgraded 2008 2009.
    > >> Then I have to follow all the stuff in the booklet. They say it should
    > >> take
    > >> less than a day.
    > >> (There isn't a CD for that. I can print out the booklet to follow it.)
    > >>
    > >> They make it sound simple, but I don't think I can do this without making
    > >> some mistake and stuffing it up. There is always some small step that
    > >> Trend
    > >> Micro leaves out, expecting people to know. I don't know.
    > >> Could someone who doesn't know much manage it? I think I should get the
    > >> computer man, he's probably done dozens of them.
    > >>
    > >> So I need to know what I should ask the computer man to do. He needs to
    > >> get
    > >> it started so I can let it run and just follow the last steps once the
    > >> whole
    > >> Pro has downloaded. Registering it and all that.
    > >>
    > >> Can I just tell him "Change it to Pro" and leave it all to him? Or do I
    > >> have to get specific and technical?

    > > Why would you uninstall the previous version. You say you've bought an
    > > upgrade (it will want to "look" for something to upgrade from - and if
    > > you uninstall it, it won't find anything!).
    > >
    > > Just stick the CD in and see what it says when it begins - you can
    > > always back-out of the install, before it actually starts doing the
    > > install, which will no doubt be a few wizard screens away.
    > >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > I think I have to uninstall the previous version if I am going to install
    > Pro. It says so anyway. I think the upgrade follows on from that. I can
    > probably do the upgrade from the CD when that arrives( it has been shipped)
    > once Pro is installed.
    > I have no CD for changing to Pro, just very complicated instructions for
    > the download. (It's a special offer with $100 off the price. Download only)
    >
    > This is the sort of thing that I might get wrong, and be left with bits of
    > previous versions gumming up the works. The computer man got rid of all the
    > earlier bits last time he called.

    Put the CD in and find out. The installer is probably "smart" enough to
    detect the old version - hell, it'll probably uninstall it for you.

    Try it!

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 24, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h9fn54$j85$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <h9evjh$6qj$-september.org>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Why would you uninstall the previous version. You say you've bought an
    >> > upgrade (it will want to "look" for something to upgrade from - and if
    >> > you uninstall it, it won't find anything!).
    >> >
    >> > Just stick the CD in and see what it says when it begins - you can
    >> > always back-out of the install, before it actually starts doing the
    >> > install, which will no doubt be a few wizard screens away.
    >> >

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> I think I have to uninstall the previous version if I am going to install
    >> Pro. It says so anyway. I think the upgrade follows on from that. I can
    >> probably do the upgrade from the CD when that arrives( it has been
    >> shipped)
    >> once Pro is installed.
    >> I have no CD for changing to Pro, just very complicated instructions for
    >> the download. (It's a special offer with $100 off the price. Download
    >> only)
    >>
    >> This is the sort of thing that I might get wrong, and be left with bits
    >> of
    >> previous versions gumming up the works. The computer man got rid of all
    >> the
    >> earlier bits last time he called.

    > Put the CD in and find out. The installer is probably "smart" enough to
    > detect the old version - hell, it'll probably uninstall it for you.
    >
    > Try it!

    Thank you, but I don't want to be left with an uninstalled old version and
    Pro that doesn't work.
    I want to get Pro going bfore I upgrade it. I've found what to click to
    uninstall the old version.
    Geopelia, Sep 25, 2009