Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 - Renewal

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Has anyone downloaded this yet?

    I've got all the instructions with my order confirmation, but wonder if
    there is anything to look out for when I download it. I had all kinds of
    trouble with the 2005 version and had to keep asking PC-cillin what they
    meant.
    I did the 2006 version off a CD which was reasonably straightforward, they
    even included an instruction book. I might get a clue from that if I get
    stuck.

    I find their Help people a problem, as they send pages of stuff that has
    nothing to do with what I ask them. I think queries may be answered by a
    computer. Sometimes I can find something in the Help menu itself, but often
    they don't cover what I am looking for.

    So if there are any pitfalls I would like to know about them before I start.
    I think I need to remove 2006 before I start, I know how to do that from
    add/remove programs.

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Has anyone downloaded this yet?
    >
    > I've got all the instructions with my order confirmation, but wonder
    > if there is anything to look out for when I download it. I had all
    > kinds of trouble with the 2005 version and had to keep asking
    > PC-cillin what they meant.
    > I did the 2006 version off a CD which was reasonably straightforward,
    > they even included an instruction book. I might get a clue from that
    > if I get stuck.
    >
    > I find their Help people a problem, as they send pages of stuff that
    > has nothing to do with what I ask them. I think queries may be
    > answered by a computer. Sometimes I can find something in the Help
    > menu itself, but often they don't cover what I am looking for.
    >
    > So if there are any pitfalls I would like to know about them before I
    > start. I think I need to remove 2006 before I start, I know how to do
    > that from add/remove programs.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia

    I upgraded a while back now.

    It went smoothly and seems to be bug-free. The biggest difference I noticed
    is larger downloads as it has an anti-spam plug-in for OE and it downloads a
    new spam list regularly as well as it's definitions list. It also monitors
    more actions on the PC, asks permissions for newly installed proggies and
    lets you know if something is being uninstalled. I like it. Except I only
    use OE for news and the anti-spam toolbar just takes up space as it's for
    email only.

    I'm pretty sure I didn't uninstall 2006 first though.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Has anyone downloaded this yet?
    >>
    >> I've got all the instructions with my order confirmation, but wonder
    >> if there is anything to look out for when I download it. I had all
    >> kinds of trouble with the 2005 version and had to keep asking
    >> PC-cillin what they meant.
    >> I did the 2006 version off a CD which was reasonably straightforward,
    >> they even included an instruction book. I might get a clue from that
    >> if I get stuck.
    >>
    >> I find their Help people a problem, as they send pages of stuff that
    >> has nothing to do with what I ask them. I think queries may be
    >> answered by a computer. Sometimes I can find something in the Help
    >> menu itself, but often they don't cover what I am looking for.
    >>
    >> So if there are any pitfalls I would like to know about them before I
    >> start. I think I need to remove 2006 before I start, I know how to do
    >> that from add/remove programs.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > I upgraded a while back now.
    >
    > It went smoothly and seems to be bug-free. The biggest difference I
    > noticed is larger downloads as it has an anti-spam plug-in for OE and it
    > downloads a new spam list regularly as well as it's definitions list. It
    > also monitors more actions on the PC, asks permissions for newly installed
    > proggies and lets you know if something is being uninstalled. I like it.
    > Except I only use OE for news and the anti-spam toolbar just takes up
    > space as it's for email only.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I didn't uninstall 2006 first though.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Thank you. If you didn't have any problems I ought to be able to download
    it, if it is very clear about what to do.

    The 2006 manual does say to uninstall previous programs before installing
    2006. I wonder if I should do that before installing 2007. Maybe it
    automatically uninstalls 2006 as it downloads?

    Thanks for your help

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Geopelia

    PeeCee Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Has anyone downloaded this yet?
    >>>
    >>> I've got all the instructions with my order confirmation, but wonder
    >>> if there is anything to look out for when I download it. I had all
    >>> kinds of trouble with the 2005 version and had to keep asking
    >>> PC-cillin what they meant.
    >>> I did the 2006 version off a CD which was reasonably straightforward,
    >>> they even included an instruction book. I might get a clue from that
    >>> if I get stuck.
    >>>
    >>> I find their Help people a problem, as they send pages of stuff that
    >>> has nothing to do with what I ask them. I think queries may be
    >>> answered by a computer. Sometimes I can find something in the Help
    >>> menu itself, but often they don't cover what I am looking for.
    >>>
    >>> So if there are any pitfalls I would like to know about them before I
    >>> start. I think I need to remove 2006 before I start, I know how to do
    >>> that from add/remove programs.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> I upgraded a while back now.
    >>
    >> It went smoothly and seems to be bug-free. The biggest difference I
    >> noticed is larger downloads as it has an anti-spam plug-in for OE and it
    >> downloads a new spam list regularly as well as it's definitions list. It
    >> also monitors more actions on the PC, asks permissions for newly
    >> installed proggies and lets you know if something is being uninstalled. I
    >> like it. Except I only use OE for news and the anti-spam toolbar just
    >> takes up space as it's for email only.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure I didn't uninstall 2006 first though.
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>

    > Thank you. If you didn't have any problems I ought to be able to download
    > it, if it is very clear about what to do.
    >
    > The 2006 manual does say to uninstall previous programs before installing
    > 2006. I wonder if I should do that before installing 2007. Maybe it
    > automatically uninstalls 2006 as it downloads?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Geopelia

    Geopelia

    Unless the new version 'requires' the previous versions presence to
    authenticate/upgrade to your new version it is generally accepted best
    practice to remove the old version first.
    This is particularly true if the old version had 'issues'.
    In these cases it is often prudent to download the cleanup utility if they
    provide one, I know it's almost a necessity with Norton if it's been playing
    up at all.

    Download the new version to your hard drive, disconnect from the Internet,
    remove the old version, reboot, install the new version.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Dec 27, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > > > I upgraded a while back now.
    > > >
    > > > It went smoothly and seems to be bug-free. The biggest difference
    > > > I noticed is larger downloads as it has an anti-spam plug-in for
    > > > OE and it downloads a new spam list regularly as well as it's
    > > > definitions list. It also monitors more actions on the PC, asks
    > > > permissions for newly installed proggies and lets you know if
    > > > something is being uninstalled. I like it. Except I only use OE
    > > > for news and the anti-spam toolbar just takes up space as it's
    > > > for email only. I'm pretty sure I didn't uninstall 2006 first though.
    > > > --
    > > > Shaun.
    > > >

    > > Thank you. If you didn't have any problems I ought to be able to
    > > download it, if it is very clear about what to do.
    > >
    > > The 2006 manual does say to uninstall previous programs before
    > > installing 2006. I wonder if I should do that before installing
    > > 2007. Maybe it automatically uninstalls 2006 as it downloads?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > Geopelia
    >
    > Unless the new version 'requires' the previous versions presence to
    > authenticate/upgrade to your new version it is generally accepted best
    > practice to remove the old version first.
    > This is particularly true if the old version had 'issues'.
    > In these cases it is often prudent to download the cleanup utility if
    > they provide one, I know it's almost a necessity with Norton if it's
    > been playing up at all.
    >
    > Download the new version to your hard drive, disconnect from the
    > Internet, remove the old version, reboot, install the new version.

    Geo, check that this is correct first please!

    As this is a free "UPGRADE" I think that it may require the presence of 2006
    on your HDD for it to be installed.

    As always, never listen to advice from people who've not done what you're
    asking. Or at least weigh that into the equation. If in doubt, check the
    download website.

    To even mention Norton in the same paragraph as PC-cillin is ludicrous.

    Actually, I'll save you the bother of further inquiries or ill-advice. From
    the upgrade readme:

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    5.1 Installation Considerations

    Before installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, take note of
    the following requirements:

    a. Before installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, please
    remove any other software protecting your computer against
    viruses or spyware, or else the PC-cillin Internet Security
    Setup program will remove those programs during installation.

    b. PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 supports upgrades from the
    2006 version, including the migration of your license number
    customized Personal Firewall Profile settings.

    c. You cannot add or remove PC-cillin Internet Security 2007
    features after installation.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Ok? I think it needs to be installed *over* 2006, (that's how I did it on
    the three machines I have it on) or you have to re-enter your old license
    number, then reconfigure everything. That could be a real PITA.

    Good luck. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >> Unless the new version 'requires' the previous versions presence to
    >> authenticate/upgrade to your new version it is generally accepted best
    >> practice to remove the old version first.
    >> This is particularly true if the old version had 'issues'.
    >> In these cases it is often prudent to download the cleanup utility if
    >> they provide one, I know it's almost a necessity with Norton if it's
    >> been playing up at all.
    >>
    >> Download the new version to your hard drive, disconnect from the
    >> Internet, remove the old version, reboot, install the new version.

    > Geo, check that this is correct first please!
    >
    > As this is a free "UPGRADE" I think that it may require the presence of
    > 2006 on your HDD for it to be installed.
    >
    > As always, never listen to advice from people who've not done what you're
    > asking. Or at least weigh that into the equation. If in doubt, check the
    > download website.
    >
    > To even mention Norton in the same paragraph as PC-cillin is ludicrous.
    >
    > Actually, I'll save you the bother of further inquiries or ill-advice.
    > From the upgrade readme:
    >
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > 5.1 Installation Considerations
    >
    > Before installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, take note of
    > the following requirements:
    >
    > a. Before installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, please
    > remove any other software protecting your computer against
    > viruses or spyware, or else the PC-cillin Internet Security
    > Setup program will remove those programs during installation.
    >
    > b. PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 supports upgrades from the
    > 2006 version, including the migration of your license number
    > customized Personal Firewall Profile settings.
    >
    > c. You cannot add or remove PC-cillin Internet Security 2007
    > features after installation.
    >
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > Ok? I think it needs to be installed *over* 2006, (that's how I did it on
    > the three machines I have it on) or you have to re-enter your old license
    > number, then reconfigure everything. That could be a real PITA.
    >
    > Good luck. :)
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Thank you. I'll certainly read the "Read Me" carefully when it comes up on
    the screen.

    This isn't a "free" upgrade, it cost I think about $99 as a "special". They
    used to provide an extension for a lower price some years ago, but that
    doesn't seem to be around now.

    Unless it says anything when I start installing, I'll leave 2006 there. It
    looks from what you posted that 2007 will remove 2006 anyway.

    While I find PC-cillin programs good, isn't their website hopeless! They
    refer me to stuff that has nothing to do with what I ask them. Now they say
    something about an invalid email address to log in. I've had this one for
    over 5 years, including all the programs I have bought and all the
    correspondence with them.

    So in their comment box I told them they had been imbibing too much
    Christmas spirit. They say they don't answer the comments, anyway. They must
    get a few choice ones sometimes.

    Thanks for your help.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 28, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Geo, check that this is correct first please!
    > >
    > > As this is a free "UPGRADE" I think that it may require the
    > > presence of 2006 on your HDD for it to be installed.
    > >
    > > As always, never listen to advice from people who've not done what
    > > you're asking. Or at least weigh that into the equation. If in
    > > doubt, check the download website.
    > >
    > > To even mention Norton in the same paragraph as PC-cillin is
    > > ludicrous. Actually, I'll save you the bother of further inquiries or
    > > ill-advice. From the upgrade readme:
    > >
    > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > >
    > > 5.1 Installation Considerations
    > > =====================================================================
    > >
    > > Before installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, take note
    > > of the following requirements:
    > >
    > > a. Before installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, please
    > > remove any other software protecting your computer against
    > > viruses or spyware, or else the PC-cillin Internet Security
    > > Setup program will remove those programs during
    > > installation. b. PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 supports upgrades from
    > > the
    > > 2006 version, including the migration of your license
    > > number customized Personal Firewall Profile settings.
    > >
    > > c. You cannot add or remove PC-cillin Internet Security 2007
    > > features after installation.
    > >
    > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > >
    > > Ok? I think it needs to be installed *over* 2006, (that's how I did
    > > it on the three machines I have it on) or you have to re-enter your
    > > old license number, then reconfigure everything. That could be a
    > > real PITA. Good luck. :)
    > > --
    > > Shaun.

    > Thank you. I'll certainly read the "Read Me" carefully when it comes
    > up on the screen.

    This didn't come up on the screen, it was in a sub-folder of the upgrade
    package.

    > This isn't a "free" upgrade, it cost I think about $99 as a
    > "special". They used to provide an extension for a lower price some
    > years ago, but that doesn't seem to be around now.

    Well, it's a 'free' upgrade for people who bought 2006 and still have time
    left before they have to renew. :)

    > Unless it says anything when I start installing, I'll leave 2006
    > there. It looks from what you posted that 2007 will remove 2006
    > anyway.

    Yes, it does.

    > While I find PC-cillin programs good, isn't their website hopeless! They
    > refer me to stuff that has nothing to do with what I ask them.
    > Now they say something about an invalid email address to log in. I've
    > had this one for over 5 years, including all the programs I have
    > bought and all the correspondence with them.
    >
    > So in their comment box I told them they had been imbibing too much
    > Christmas spirit. They say they don't answer the comments, anyway.
    > They must get a few choice ones sometimes.

    Hehe! I've managed to avoid their website for the most part. From your
    comments it seems that it's lucky that I have.

    > Thanks for your help.

    You're welcome.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2006
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    I've found Read Me in the FAQS on their website.

    Tonight the "Update" on 2006 doesn't work, so I suppose I have run out of
    time on that. I'll install the 2007 tomorrow.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    Here's a big problem. I tried to download 2007 to desktop. It said
    "completed" after about 13 minutes. I tried to install and got the message
    "The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are
    attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the
    file, verify its integrity, and try again".

    I tried again from the beginning, same thing happened.

    There wasn't the usual verification from PC-cillin on the file.

    I've sent a message to Trendmicro Help and got an acknowledgement, now I'm
    waiting for their technician to reply.

    How can something sent as an email message get corrupted? I could understand
    a disk being faulty.
    Maybe it's my desktop at fault. Should I try to"downloads" instead?

    This morning 2006 was updating again, so I hope I am safe until I get a
    reply from Trendmicro.

    As anyone else had this problem?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 28, 2006
  10. Geopelia

    Guest

    Where are you downloading PC-cillin 2007 from? You can get a copy from
    Digital River (if you've just paid for an upgrade or renewal), the US
    website (which links to a really slow simtel server) or the AU/NZ Trend
    Micro website which is reasonably speedy if you're on a fast enough
    link:

    http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/consume...p=4&family=42&id=88&rightnav=3,0&related_id=0

    If your licence has expired you can extend it with a $79 renewal. If
    you've still got time left you can upgrade for free:
    http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/pccillin/free_upgrade_2006.htm

    That link also has some upgrade instructions in it. If you're
    extending your key (rather than buying a new one) they recommend not
    manually uninstalling PCC2006 since PCC2007 will do it for you - and
    keep your serial and settings in place. If you paid for a renewal then
    there's no rush to upgrade since your copy of PCC2006 will keep ticking
    away for another year.

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Here's a big problem. I tried to download 2007 to desktop. It said
    > "completed" after about 13 minutes. I tried to install and got the message
    > "The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are
    > attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the
    > file, verify its integrity, and try again".
    >
    > I tried again from the beginning, same thing happened.
    >
    > There wasn't the usual verification from PC-cillin on the file.
    >
    > I've sent a message to Trendmicro Help and got an acknowledgement, now I'm
    > waiting for their technician to reply.
    >
    > How can something sent as an email message get corrupted? I could understand
    > a disk being faulty.
    > Maybe it's my desktop at fault. Should I try to"downloads" instead?
    >
    > This morning 2006 was updating again, so I hope I am safe until I get a
    > reply from Trendmicro.
    >
    > As anyone else had this problem?
    >
    > Geopelia
    , Dec 28, 2006
  11. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > Where are you downloading PC-cillin 2007 from? You can get a copy
    > from Digital River (if you've just paid for an upgrade or renewal),
    > the US website (which links to a really slow simtel server) or the
    > AU/NZ Trend Micro website which is reasonably speedy if you're on a
    > fast enough link:
    >
    > http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/consume...p=4&family=42&id=88&rightnav=3,0&related_id=0
    >
    > If your licence has expired you can extend it with a $79 renewal. If
    > you've still got time left you can upgrade for free:
    > http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/pccillin/free_upgrade_2006.htm

    That's what I did. My subscription runs until August.

    > That link also has some upgrade instructions in it. If you're
    > extending your key (rather than buying a new one) they recommend not
    > manually uninstalling PCC2006 since PCC2007 will do it for you - and
    > keep your serial and settings in place. If you paid for a renewal
    > then there's no rush to upgrade since your copy of PCC2006 will keep
    > ticking away for another year.

    Exactly David.

    I quite like some of the new features of 2007 so I upgraded. However, it's
    not mandatory.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2006
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Where are you downloading PC-cillin 2007 from? You can get a copy
    >> from Digital River (if you've just paid for an upgrade or renewal),
    >> the US website (which links to a really slow simtel server) or the
    >> AU/NZ Trend Micro website which is reasonably speedy if you're on a
    >> fast enough link:
    >>
    >> http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/consume...p=4&family=42&id=88&rightnav=3,0&related_id=0
    >>
    >> If your licence has expired you can extend it with a $79 renewal. If
    >> you've still got time left you can upgrade for free:
    >> http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/pccillin/free_upgrade_2006.htm

    > That's what I did. My subscription runs until August.
    >
    >> That link also has some upgrade instructions in it. If you're
    >> extending your key (rather than buying a new one) they recommend not
    >> manually uninstalling PCC2006 since PCC2007 will do it for you - and
    >> keep your serial and settings in place. If you paid for a renewal
    >> then there's no rush to upgrade since your copy of PCC2006 will keep
    >> ticking away for another year.

    > Exactly David.
    >
    > I quite like some of the new features of 2007 so I upgraded. However, it's
    > not mandatory.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    According to the order confirmation I got:
    Product name is Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007-renewal.
    Platform 3 users -2 years - digital .
    Delivery method Digital River. Price NZ$99.95

    If 2006 will carry on, that seems OK. I want something to keep working until
    we get this problem sorted out.

    Thank you.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 29, 2006
  13. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:
    > > > Where are you downloading PC-cillin 2007 from? You can get a copy
    > > > from Digital River (if you've just paid for an upgrade or
    > > > renewal), the US website (which links to a really slow simtel
    > > > server) or the AU/NZ Trend Micro website which is reasonably
    > > > speedy if you're on a fast enough link:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/consume...p=4&family=42&id=88&rightnav=3,0&related_id=0
    > > >
    > > > If your licence has expired you can extend it with a $79 renewal.
    > > > If you've still got time left you can upgrade for free:
    > > > http://www.trendmicro.co.nz/pccillin/free_upgrade_2006.htm

    > > That's what I did. My subscription runs until August.
    > >
    > > > That link also has some upgrade instructions in it. If you're
    > > > extending your key (rather than buying a new one) they recommend
    > > > not manually uninstalling PCC2006 since PCC2007 will do it for
    > > > you - and keep your serial and settings in place. If you paid
    > > > for a renewal then there's no rush to upgrade since your copy of
    > > > PCC2006 will keep ticking away for another year.

    > > Exactly David.
    > >
    > > I quite like some of the new features of 2007 so I upgraded.
    > > However, it's not mandatory.
    > > --
    > > Shaun.

    > According to the order confirmation I got:
    > Product name is Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007-renewal.
    > Platform 3 users -2 years - digital .
    > Delivery method Digital River. Price NZ$99.95
    >
    > If 2006 will carry on, that seems OK. I want something to keep
    > working until we get this problem sorted out.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Geopelia

    I have a 236MB file in my "Downloaded" folder called "PC-cillin 2006 - 2007
    upgrade". Want me to burn it to CD and send it to you? I can be reached
    off-group at misfitnz at gmail dot com. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2006
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >> > That's what I did. My subscription runs until August.

    >> > Exactly David.
    >> >
    >> > I quite like some of the new features of 2007 so I upgraded.
    >> > However, it's not mandatory.
    >> > --
    >> > Shaun.

    >> According to the order confirmation I got:
    >> Product name is Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007-renewal.
    >> Platform 3 users -2 years - digital .
    >> Delivery method Digital River. Price NZ$99.95
    >>
    >> If 2006 will carry on, that seems OK. I want something to keep
    >> working until we get this problem sorted out.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >> Geopelia

    > I have a 236MB file in my "Downloaded" folder called "PC-cillin 2006 -
    > 2007 upgrade". Want me to burn it to CD and send it to you? I can be
    > reached off-group at misfitnz at gmail dot com. :)
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Thank you, that is very kind. I've replied off-group.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 29, 2006