    that's needed, but following that it just sat there 'till time out again.

    Does the program actually work?

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Bill

    Bryan Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:boitnq$1f7uap$-berlin.de
    > Purely out of interest I have attempted to try this scan on odd
    > occasions, but over the last two years or so have never yet suceeded.
    > I get as far as selecting my country, go "next" and it just sits
    > there until the computer times out. I think I did once get as far a
    > downloading the little program that's needed, but following that it
    > just sat there 'till time out again.
    >
    > Does the program actually work?
    >
    > Bill

    Post the url and I'll try it for you! :)

    Bryan, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Bill

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure that your security settings and/or firewall
    allow ActiveX controls to run. Also, here are some
    alternatives to try:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:14:20 -0000, in
    <boitnq$1f7uap$-berlin.de>
    Bill scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Make sure that your security settings and/or firewall
    > allow ActiveX controls to run. Also, here are some
    > alternatives to try:

    Thanks Mike

    It was seeing it in your signature that reminded me about Trend-Micro, so I
    tried it again today with the usual results. Wether or not the program
    works was a rhetorical question, obviously it works and is well used, just
    not for and by me!

    I run the paid for version of AVG which has always done me well, but is
    interesting now and then to get a "second opinion".
    I will try some of your alternatives. I didn't realise here were so many.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Bill

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:42:14 -0000, in
    <boj2sl$1e7ldt$-berlin.de>
    Bill scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Make sure that your security settings and/or firewall
    >> allow ActiveX controls to run. Also, here are some
    >> alternatives to try:
    >>

    >Thanks Mike

    You're welcome.

    >It was seeing it in your signature that reminded me about
    >Trend-Micro, so I tried it again today with the usual results.
    >Wether or not the program works was a rhetorical question,
    >obviously it works and is well used, just not for and by me!
    >
    >I run the paid for version of AVG which has always done me
    >well, but is interesting now and then to get a "second opinion".
    >I will try some of your alternatives. I didn't realise here were
    >so many.
    >
    >Bill

    If you have problems with the Trend scan, I recommend the
    KAV (Kaspersky) and the Computer Associates (eZ Antivirus)
    online scanners. And yes, "second opinion" scans are very
    important, particularly with files from an unknown/untrusted
    source.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003