    whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
    firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
    i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

    Anonymous99, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Anonymous99

    Adrian Guest

    On 26 Jan 2005 22:05:34 -0800, "Anonymous99"
    <> wrote:

    >So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
    >trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
    >whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
    >firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
    >i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

    Lol, if you were taken down by several noobs (probably script
    kiddies), then you had the settings set wrong :). Noobs don't know
    Nortons vulnerabilities in general, and anyway, why not keep the
    norton antivirus software? Sure, you had a bad experience with the
    firewall, but why not just get Zonealarm Pro, and use the Nortons
    Antivirus. That is a setup I recommend for most people who ask, as it
    is simple but extrememly effective.

    Adrian

    Adrian, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Anonymous99

    Anonymous99 Guest

    Im to the sharpest point concerned about system resources and i am 90%
    sure i had settings correct since after i got some files jacked led me
    to want vengance against those bloody bastards. This led me on a quest
    of going underground and learning everything i could even visual basic
    programming which has nothing to do with security. Also norton ran so
    many extra apps that even my 512mb of ram was gasping for air.
    Trendmicro demo cd that i got with my new motherboard ran with few
    extras but hardened windows like crazy.

    Anonymous99, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Anonymous99

    Jay Calvert Guest

    Anonymous99 wrote:
    > So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
    > trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
    > whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
    > firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
    > i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

    In recent months it seems that Trend Micro is one of the last to hit the
    market with updated definition files. They used to be tops, but have
    fallen behind with their CPR (Controlled Pattern Releases, waiting to
    release an update until they have several).

    I personally like what McAfee are doing, with their Security Center, if
    you want virus protection, firewall and spam and spyware protection, it
    adds up, but at least you can manage it all in one area.

    Jay Calvert
    http://habaneronetworks.com

    Jay Calvert, Jan 27, 2005
  5. The problem with TrendMicro is their poor quality support when it comes to submitting virus
    samples and having Trend post new Pattern Files that will detect the submitted samples.

    I have performed several tests in submitting known infected samples (e.g., Gaobot and SDBot
    variants) to Trend and they have taken upwards to 6 weeks for a Pattern File to be created
    to recognize the sample infector. If I submit a sample to McAfee/AVERT Webimmune I can
    expect an interim DAT file (EXTRA.DAT) within minutes to 24 hours after submission. (worse
    case scenario was 72 hours for an Adware sample). McAfee will then include the signature(s)
    in the next weekly scheduled update.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jan 27, 2005
  6. Anonymous99 wrote:

    > Im to the sharpest point concerned resourcestem resources and i am 90%
    > sure i had settings correct since after i got some files jacked led me
    > to want vengance against those bloody bastards. This led me on a quest
    > of going underground and learning everything i could even visual basic
    > programming which has nothing to do with security. Also norton ran so
    > many extra apps that even my 512mb of ram was gasping for air.
    > Trendmicro demo cd that i got with my new motherboard ran with few
    > extras but hardened windows like crazy.

    This stuff is really pretty light as far as system resources go, I thought.
    Unless you have a real POS. The RAM is there to use. That's why you have
    it? As long as RAM is available, Windows will be in no rush to swap stuff
    out.

    It does noticeably slow down disk access though, from scanning every damn
    file. I hate that.

    --
    J. S. Jackson

    J. S. Jackson, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Anonymous99

    Anonymous99 Guest

    So to speed disk read up would disabling every file scan in real time
    to just specified files, might that help to make things a bit easier on
    my computer. Cause i open my documents and program files, and there is
    a huge latency problem from when i click to when i can have access to
    the files.

    Anonymous99, Jan 27, 2005
  8. That would be fool hardy and is contraindicated. "On Access" scanning is a very important
    part of protection. If it is truly slowing the system down, if possible, change the setting
    from "all file types" to "default file types". This way not every file will be scanned,
    just those files that are most likely to be infected will be scanned.

    David H. Lipman, Jan 27, 2005
  9. Anonymous99

    donnie Guest

    <> wrote:

    >So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
    >trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
    >whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
    >firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
    >i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

    The guys on the 'Personal Computer Show' here in NY recoomend it and
    have had them on as guests amny times. BTW, that show is on a
    listener sponsored station, so there is no conflict of interest.
    donnie.

    donnie, Jan 28, 2005