    slower, and kill and restart it. It’s good that it remembers all my tabs and
    windows, and restores them.

    And yes, I am using Adobe’s 64-bit Flash Player.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 24, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > The latest quirk I’m experiencing with Firefox/Iceweasel 3.5.5 is that,
    > after it’s been running continuously for about a week, it seems to develop a
    > case of the DTs where the pointer rapidly oscillates between the arrow and
    > the pointing finger. When this happens, the browser becomes unresponsive.
    >
    > To its credit, it hasn’t actually crashed or bogged down my system once
    > since I upgraded from 3.0.x. I just get fed up with it running slower and
    > slower, and kill and restart it. It’s good that it remembers all my tabs and
    > windows, and restores them.
    >
    > And yes, I am using Adobe’s 64-bit Flash Player.

    You could try using Firefox on a stable OS such as Windows 7 (where I do
    not see the issue you are describing) rather then on Debian unstable.
    EMB, Nov 24, 2009

  3. In message <hegelu$dg$>, EMB wrote:

    > You could try using Firefox on ... Windows 7 (where I do
    > not see the issue you are describing) ...

    How long do you leave it running at a time?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 24, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In message <hegelu$dg$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> You could try using Firefox on ... Windows 7 (where I do
    >> not see the issue you are describing) ...

    > How long do you leave it running at a time?

    Just out of curiousity, why do you leave your browser running all the time?
    It only takes a second or two to start up again.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 24, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:heghj2$19d$...
    >> In message <hegelu$dg$>, EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> You could try using Firefox on ... Windows 7 (where I do
    >>> not see the issue you are describing) ...

    >> How long do you leave it running at a time?

    > Just out of curiousity, why do you leave your browser running all the
    > time? It only takes a second or two to start up again.

    Yes, but not to open the 40-50 tabs I have sitting there which I will
    get around to reading one day soon...

    Why should I not be able to leave it running all the time. Yes, firefox
    leaks memory like crazy and eventually screws up, but I shouldnt have to
    adapt my usage to accomodate for long standing issues in the browser,
    they should be fixed.
    Richard, Nov 25, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hegelu$dg$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> You could try using Firefox on ... Windows 7 (where I do
    >> not see the issue you are describing) ...

    > How long do you leave it running at a time?

    The Windows 7 virtual box that lives under VMWare on my server has had
    FF open for at least a couple of weeks so far. I use it much as you
    mention elsewhere - lots of "I'll get round to looking at that" type
    tabs open, and I just RDP onto it from wherever I happen to be when I
    have a few free minutes to read.

    On a related note, Thunderbird/Win whatever (XP, Vista and 7) is
    significantly less than stable and crashes at random intervals (probably
    related the the extensions I have installed).
    EMB, Nov 25, 2009
  7. In message <hei758$6vf$>, EMB wrote:

    > The Windows 7 virtual box that lives under VMWare on my server has had
    > FF open for at least a couple of weeks so far. I use it much as you
    > mention elsewhere - lots of "I'll get round to looking at that" type
    > tabs open, and I just RDP onto it from wherever I happen to be when I
    > have a few free minutes to read.
    >
    > On a related note, Thunderbird/Win whatever (XP, Vista and 7) is
    > significantly less than stable and crashes at random intervals (probably
    > related the the extensions I have installed).

    Quite the opposite of my experience, then. For me, Firefox/Iceweasel goes
    funny after about a week, while Thunderbird/Icedove runs uncomplainingly for
    weeks on end—never experienced a crash so far.

    Like I said, it’s probably due to the 64-bit Adobe Flash Player.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 25, 2009
  8. In message <hei5hd$kpd$>, Richard wrote:

    > Yes, firefox leaks memory like crazy and eventually screws up ...

    Screwing up eventually yes, but I don’t think it leaks memory any more.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 25, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >>> How long do you leave it running at a time?

    >> Just out of curiousity, why do you leave your browser running all the
    >> time? It only takes a second or two to start up again.

    > Yes, but not to open the 40-50 tabs I have sitting there which I will get
    > around to reading one day soon...

    40-50 tabs? Hahaha have you considered bookmarks?

    > Why should I not be able to leave it running all the time. Yes, firefox
    > leaks memory like crazy and eventually screws up, but I shouldnt have to
    > adapt my usage to accomodate for long standing issues in the browser, they
    > should be fixed.

    Yeah, they should. No argument there.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 25, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:heghj2$19d$...

    >>> Just out of curiousity, why do you leave your browser running all the
    >>> time? It only takes a second or two to start up again.

    >> Yes, but not to open the 40-50 tabs I have sitting there which I will
    >> get around to reading one day soon...

    > 40-50 tabs? Hahaha have you considered bookmarks?

    Yes, but that doesnt help when pages are within search result frames
    from google images etc very well. I just leave them there till I get
    around to dealing with it.

    Killing FF and opening it again will get them back

    Richard, Nov 26, 2009
  11. In message <hel51o$5ej$>, Richard wrote:

    > Do you get the thing where images and pages will stop working till you
    > go work offline and then unselect it on linux often?

    Never happened. The closest thing I can think if is sometimes if I reload a
    YouTube page, it comes up blank but I can still hear the sound from the
    movie. Reloading again brings it all back.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 26, 2009