    --
    Fenny Fox
    http://fenrisfox.livejournal.com

    Fenny Fox, Sep 17, 2007

  2. Fenny Fox wrote:
    > I've written a good-sized paper on the technique being used by
    > JackLewis.net to block Firefox users running Adblock Plus - and also,
    > how to very easily get around it.
    >
    > Included is an open letter, which details why what that site is doing -
    > IMO - is a bad idea, from both a privacy *and* a security point-of-view.
    >
    > I welcome people to look for themselves:
    > http://fenrisfox.livejournal.com/73234.html
    >
    > Commenting is open to all, unscreened.

    The funny thing is that he supposedly unblocked FF, but when I go there
    it tells me I have AdBlock installed, which I don't.

    I block flash (FlashBlock - works a lot like NoScript) and any ad server
    that serves up annoying ads using FF's built-in image blocker, but
    that's pretty much it.

    This guy reminds me of the RIAA - the claimed intentions are good
    (protecting copyright), but the methods and scale of the measures is
    excessive, and don't protect against the people he's aiming at.

    --
    http://weblog.mkronline.com/

    Michael Robinson, Sep 17, 2007