    It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
    remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
    Thanks, Dave
    DJYpung, Jan 10, 2005

  2. DJYpung

    edard Guest

    DJYpung wrote:

    > I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
    > Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
    > slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
    > defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
    > It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
    > remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
    > Thanks, Dave

    Are you thinking of 'msconfig' then unchecking the unwanted programs in the
    Start tab?
    edard, Jan 10, 2005

  3. DJYpung

    Richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:53:42 GMT DJYpung wrote:

    > I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
    > Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
    > slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
    > defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
    > It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
    > remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
    > Thanks, Dave

    http://www.sysinternals.com/

    Get the program called "process explorer".
    It will tell you anything that is running at the moment.
    Don't want it running? Kill it with a click.
    Richard, Jan 10, 2005
  4. DJYpung

    °Mike° Guest

    Right click on each entry in the system tray. If it has
    a 'Preferences', 'Options' or similar configuration menu
    entry, use it and prevent it from starting that way. For
    those items that don't, you can use Startup Control Panel:
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:53:42 GMT, in
    <>
    DJYpung scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2005
  5. DJYpung

    mkdykstra Guest

    mkdykstra, Jan 11, 2005
  6. DJYpung

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi DJY - This may not be exactly what you had in mind, but . . .

    TrayManager 2.0
    Hide little-used tray icons. FREEWARE WIN95/98/NT/2000.
    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/n/105/traymgr.zip

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    DJYpung <> typed:
    Jim Byrd, Jan 11, 2005
  7. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:46:19 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >Right click on each entry in the system tray. If it has
    >a 'Preferences', 'Options' or similar configuration menu
    >entry, use it and prevent it from starting that way. For
    >those items that don't, you can use Startup Control Panel:
    >http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Which site immediately attempts to set a Pay Pal cookie. No thanks,
    I'll just stick with msconfig and edit the Start up tab myself.

    Swill

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?