    anyone else encountered this problem?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Nicholas Sherlock

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > Has
    > anyone else encountered this problem?

    Only when Explorer crapped itself... you may want to SP it, any reason why
    you havent?
    T.N.O., Sep 17, 2003

  3. Nicholas Sherlock

    Rob Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've run into a very interesting problem on my Win2K (No service packs
    > installed). Half of my programs that have tray icons and run on startup
    > have, for the last few months, appeared in the tray sporadically. The
    > programs are still running correctly, their icon just doesn't appear. Like
    > AntiVir, Mobipocket Web Companion, eBookMan Monitor and MSN messenger. Has
    > anyone else encountered this problem?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Systray.exe controls the taskbar notifications and icons. Can't think of
    anything else offhand, though xp has a problem with icons after changing
    accessability feaures, but I don't think that applies to w2k.

    Rob.
    Rob, Sep 17, 2003
  4. T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    >> Has
    >> anyone else encountered this problem?

    > Only when Explorer crapped itself... you may want to SP it, any
    > reason why you havent?

    On a 56k modem! :). Apparently Woosh is coming out next year in Dunedin, so
    I'll be able to update then.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    >>> Has
    >>> anyone else encountered this problem?

    >> Only when Explorer crapped itself... you may want to SP it, any
    >> reason why you havent?

    > On a 56k modem! :). Apparently Woosh is coming out next year in
    > Dunedin, so I'll be able to update then.

    I've updated to SP3 (From a cover CD) and it did not fix the issue.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Nicholas Sherlock

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > On a 56k modem! :). Apparently Woosh is coming out next year in Dunedin,

    so
    > I'll be able to update then.

    I have 3 and 4 on CD... want me to drop them around, just email me.
    T.N.O., Sep 17, 2003
  7. Nicholas Sherlock

    Patrick Bold Guest

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > I've updated to SP3 (From a cover CD) and it did not fix the issue.

    It doesn't sound like a Win2K problem as such. Badly behaved apps and
    their installation programs can sometime corrupt other settings. Have
    you looked at the individual apps to see whether they provide options to
    turn the tray icon on or off? Sometimes you can fix problems like this
    by simply toggling an option off and on, which forces a registry
    rewrite. Alternatively, you can try re-installing one or more of the
    malfunctioning apps and see if things improve.
    Patrick Bold, Sep 17, 2003
  8. T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    >> On a 56k modem! :). Apparently Woosh is coming out next year in
    >> Dunedin, so I'll be able to update then.

    > I have 3 and 4 on CD... want me to drop them around, just email me.

    Thanks, I think one of my mates has SP4 lying around for me.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 17, 2003
  9. Nicholas Sherlock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've run into a very interesting problem on my Win2K (No service packs
    > installed). Half of my programs that have tray icons and run on startup
    > have, for the last few months, appeared in the tray sporadically. The
    > programs are still running correctly, their icon just doesn't appear. Like
    > AntiVir, Mobipocket Web Companion, eBookMan Monitor and MSN messenger. Has
    > anyone else encountered this problem?

    This probably has no bearing on your question but it's worth a shot. I'm not
    familiar with 2000 but, with XP, if you right-click the toolbar, properties,
    there is an option to 'hide inactive icons' that I hate. It stops certain
    icons displying in systray if you haven't clicked them in a while. I don't
    know if there's anything similar in 2000?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2003
  10. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I've run into a very interesting problem on my Win2K (No service
    >> packs installed). Half of my programs that have tray icons and run
    >> on startup have, for the last few months, appeared in the tray
    >> sporadically. The programs are still running correctly, their icon
    >> just doesn't appear. Like AntiVir, Mobipocket Web Companion,
    >> eBookMan Monitor and MSN messenger. Has anyone else encountered this
    >> problem?

    > This probably has no bearing on your question but it's worth a shot.
    > I'm not familiar with 2000 but, with XP, if you right-click the
    > toolbar, properties, there is an option to 'hide inactive icons' that
    > I hate. It stops certain icons displying in systray if you haven't
    > clicked them in a while. I don't know if there's anything similar in
    > 2000?

    Thanks, but those neat little options aren't available in 2K - It doesn't
    hide anything for you automatically.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 17, 2003
  11. Nicholas Sherlock

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <bk8o77$avl$>,
    says...
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > >> Has
    > >> anyone else encountered this problem?

    > > Only when Explorer crapped itself... you may want to SP it, any
    > > reason why you havent?

    > On a 56k modem! :). Apparently Woosh is coming out next year in Dunedin, so
    > I'll be able to update then.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Hey Nicholas

    Nathan posted a link here in last few days and again a few weeks ago
    with a 0800 number for Microsoft. It was for ordering (FREE) cd. Has all
    service packs and patches XP/2000 etc etc. Also some other bits and
    bobs. I rang and it was delivered last week. All in all good service and
    a boon for us dial up users.

    My question is how come we have to learn of these obscure cds from
    Nathan rather than microsoft. Surely the average home useer who knows
    nothing of usenet would find them invaluable to keep their machines up
    to date. Surely a mail-drop or email twice a year to every registered
    user of their products would be a real bonus in their PR stakes.

    Anyway good on 'em and ta Nathan for providing the link

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Nicholas Sherlock

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bk8o77$avl$>,
    says...
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > >> Has
    > >> anyone else encountered this problem?

    > > Only when Explorer crapped itself... you may want to SP it, any
    > > reason why you havent?

    > On a 56k modem! :). Apparently Woosh is coming out next year in Dunedin, so
    > I'll be able to update then.

    Yes! - on a 56K modem, can't you afford to stay online for a
    couple of hours? - surely. The SP4 + other criticals are
    *typically* about 30Mb's via Windows update for a fresh W2K
    install (about 27Mb's for SP4 and a few more for the rest on
    top).

    Otherwise, if you have someone handy with a faster connection
    and a writer, get a burnt copy of SP4 + MS03-026 - then update
    the rest online.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Sep 17, 2003