    i have tried system restore but it still happens.
    this all started when i had trouble with my hp printer.

    can anyone please help.
    Gary HESCOTT, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Gary HESCOTT

    meerkat Guest

    "Gary HESCOTT" <> wrote in message
    news:Eu3Wi.4980$...
    > each time i start up i keep getting a box appear saying "tray app .msi "
    > and one saying "insert tray app disc" there is also a box referring to
    > "windows installer"
    > i have tried system restore but it still happens.
    > this all started when i had trouble with my hp printer.

    Go have a read here, it should help...
    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic26151.html
    meerkat, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Gary HESCOTT

    Tester Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:06:28 GMT, "Gary HESCOTT"
    <> wrote:

    >each time i start up i keep getting a box appear saying "tray app .msi " and
    >one saying "insert tray app disc" there is also a box referring to "windows
    >installer"
    >i have tried system restore but it still happens.
    >this all started when i had trouble with my hp printer.
    >
    >can anyone please help.

    Do you have msconfig installed? It comes with Windows but in my
    experience it just stays compressed in I386.

    1) Try Start Button, Run, msconfig.

    2) If this works, go to step 10

    3) Try start, run, cmd

    This opens up a "DOS" window
    4) CD \I386
    5) expand -r msconfig.*
    6) move msconfig.exe \windows\system32
    7) move msconfig.chm \windows\system32

    10) msconfig
    11) (to close the "DOS" box you can type exit)

    12) In MSCONFIG, hit the startup sheet on the right
    13) Uncheck anything you don't want to run on startup
    14) Hit OK

    You will be asked if you want to restart your computer. This is up to
    you. It will stop whatever you have unchecked from running next time
    you boot your computer. msconfig will also come up until you say you
    don't want it to come up.
    Tester, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Gary HESCOTT

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tester" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:06:28 GMT, "Gary HESCOTT"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>each time i start up i keep getting a box appear saying "tray app .msi "
    >>and
    >>one saying "insert tray app disc" there is also a box referring to
    >>"windows
    >>installer"
    >>i have tried system restore but it still happens.
    >>this all started when i had trouble with my hp printer.
    >>
    >>can anyone please help.
    >>

    > Do you have msconfig installed? It comes with Windows but in my
    > experience it just stays compressed in I386.
    >
    > 1) Try Start Button, Run, msconfig.
    >
    > 2) If this works, go to step 10
    >
    > 3) Try start, run, cmd
    >
    > This opens up a "DOS" window
    > 4) CD \I386
    > 5) expand -r msconfig.*
    > 6) move msconfig.exe \windows\system32
    > 7) move msconfig.chm \windows\system32
    >
    > 10) msconfig
    > 11) (to close the "DOS" box you can type exit)
    >
    > 12) In MSCONFIG, hit the startup sheet on the right
    > 13) Uncheck anything you don't want to run on startup
    > 14) Hit OK
    >
    > You will be asked if you want to restart your computer. This is up to
    > you. It will stop whatever you have unchecked from running next time
    > you boot your computer. msconfig will also come up until you say you
    > don't want it to come up.

    Screwed up printer software.

    The 'Tray App Disk' is the software disk that came with your printer.
    Just put the disk in the drive and it 'should' find it and reinstall / fix
    the problem.
    (did one earlier this week)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 31, 2007
  5. Gary HESCOTT

    chuckcar Guest

    Tester <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:06:28 GMT, "Gary HESCOTT"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>each time i start up i keep getting a box appear saying "tray app .msi
    >>" and one saying "insert tray app disc" there is also a box referring
    >>to "windows installer"
    >>i have tried system restore but it still happens.
    >>this all started when i had trouble with my hp printer.
    >>
    >>can anyone please help.
    >>

    > Do you have msconfig installed? It comes with Windows but in my
    > experience it just stays compressed in I386.
    >
    > 1) Try Start Button, Run, msconfig.
    >
    > 2) If this works, go to step 10

    You mean step 12 of course.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Gary HESCOTT

    Tony Guest

    Found this on the internet
    http://www.tabletquestions.com/windows-xp/169245-trayapp-msi-windows-installer.html

    Fortunately Chuckcar didn't find this one yet or everyone on the internet with
    the same problem would all loused up by now.

    Tony, Nov 1, 2007