    how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
    Are there places that will transfer to CD?

    Thanks!
    Sean McBride, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Sean McBride

    Mark M Guest

    "Sean McBride" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
    > South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
    > how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
    > Are there places that will transfer to CD?

    How much are you willing to spend?
    Mark M, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Sean McBride

    Aardvark Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to

    southern
    > South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm

    wondering
    > how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any

    advice?
    > Are there places that will transfer to CD?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Get a "digital wallet", like the Vosonic XSDrive II or Image
    Tank. A quick search in Google will turn up other alternatives
    as well.
    Aardvark, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Sean McBride <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
    > South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
    > how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
    > Are there places that will transfer to CD?

    Places that transfer media to CD are springing up, though there is always the
    question of how much they charge and whether they are conveinent to where you
    are. You could either get a portable disk drive that copies your CF to the
    disk drive, and later upload it to your computer, or a portable CD drive that
    copies you CF media to a CD-R. Here is a post I did at the Storage Forum of
    dpreview.com a few days ago:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=7189873

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Sean McBride

    Dave Cohen Guest

    They shouldn't charge too much. When I was vacationing in Arizona and Texas,
    a salesman in a BigBuy did it for nothing. I was so impressed by how easy
    this was on a demo HP machine with built in readers and running xp that I
    got myself a current xp machine (but not the built in readers). The
    alternatives suggested are quite pricey for something you will not be using
    that much. You might also be able to upload to sites such as clubphoto, they
    seem to maintain one's albums for quite a while. I would try to get more
    info on what is available, try giving the tourist bureau or consulate of the
    countries you intend to visit.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 8, 2004
  6. "Dave Cohen" <> writes:

    > They shouldn't charge too much. When I was vacationing in Arizona and Texas,
    > a salesman in a BigBuy did it for nothing. I was so impressed by how easy
    > this was on a demo HP machine with built in readers and running xp that I
    > got myself a current xp machine (but not the built in readers). The
    > alternatives suggested are quite pricey for something you will not be using
    > that much. You might also be able to upload to sites such as clubphoto, they
    > seem to maintain one's albums for quite a while. I would try to get more
    > info on what is available, try giving the tourist bureau or consulate of the
    > countries you intend to visit.
    > Dave Cohen

    I've heard prices like $11 per copy which can add up, and some places charge
    per file copied. However, if you have to waste 1/2 day time just to find a
    place to copy the media cards, it might be worth it.

    How do you know the person won't use them afterwards? I find there have been a
    few times when I needed more than the 6 smartmedia cards I was carrying with me
    for a days shoot, and now generally carry the x-drive II with me all of the
    time in my camera bag.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Sean McBride

    WebKatz Guest

    Sean McBride <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
    > South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
    > how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
    > Are there places that will transfer to CD?

    I have found shops that will transfer your pics to CD in some
    surprisingly small/undeveloped places. In addition to the usual
    Internet cafes, also try bookstores and tourist offices. But I
    wouldn't *expect* to find these kinds of places. Go with enough memory
    to cover your needs, and if you find a place that does transfers, view
    it as a bonus.

    Dave
    WebKatz, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Sean McBride

    Mike Lee Guest

    Would there be any way of transfer the photo to a USB memory stick? One of
    those which can plug into a USB port & acts like a removable drive.

    Also would I be able to use my CF media as a portable USB memory stick by
    using one of those CF media to USB adapters? That ways, I can maximize my
    usage of these expensive media.

    Thx, Mike

    Mike Lee, Jan 9, 2004
  9. "Mike Lee" <> writes:

    > Would there be any way of transfer the photo to a USB memory stick? One of
    > those which can plug into a USB port & acts like a removable drive.

    You can do it with a computer. Without a computer, I'm not aware of a way,
    other than the USB memory sticks that are really USB CF card readers with a CF
    card inside.

    > Also would I be able to use my CF media as a portable USB memory stick by
    > using one of those CF media to USB adapters? That ways, I can maximize my
    > usage of these expensive media.

    Yes, you can use your CF media as a transfer medium with a USB, Firewire, or
    PCMCIA adaptor. Some cameras get confused when other things write to the media
    card, and for those it is always best to reformat the card in the camera before
    taking pictures.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Sean McBride

    Browntimdc Guest

    > Sean McBride <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
    >> South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm
    >> wondering how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards.
    >> Any advice? Are there places that will transfer to CD?

    I think that if you're going to or near the 'tourist trap' areas you'll
    find a place to burn CD's. How long are you going? What was your CF 'fill
    rate' on previous trips? I go through about 2 256MB cards in a week when
    I'm traveling with a 5MP camera. Maybe all you need are a couple more CF
    cards.

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham
    Browntimdc, Jan 9, 2004
  11. Sean McBride

    Mike Lee Guest

    Thanks for your response. How would you set up the USB memory stick to read
    off the camera's memory? I don't want to bring a laptop w/ me. Too much to
    carry anyways.

    Cheers, Mike

    Mike Lee, Jan 12, 2004
  12. "Mike Lee" <> writes:

    > Thanks for your response. How would you set up the USB memory stick to read
    > off the camera's memory? I don't want to bring a laptop w/ me. Too much to
    > carry anyways.
    >
    > Cheers, Mike

    I probably misread your post. I don't know of a way that copies from a MS card
    to a USB memory stick without a computer (or a PDA which is essentially a
    computer). What I was refering to was I have seen USB memory sticks that you
    can swap media cards (ie, essentially they are USB card readers for a given
    memory card and provide a card as part of the process).

    I suspect what you want is not a USB memory stick (which often times don't have
    all that much space anyway), but either a portable hard drive or a portable CD
    burner.

    A portable CD burner is just that, it is a CD-RW drive that has media slots,
    and you press a button and it copies from the media card to the CD (some units
    can do the copy from the CD back to the media card). Some portable CD burners
    have batteries in addition to using AC/DC current, and some can show a slide
    show of the pictures on a TV set. I think the usual price for these is
    $200-300.

    A portable hard drive is a device with a laptop disk drive in it and media
    slots, and will copy the media files to a folder on the disk. At a later point
    in time, you connect the device to your computer's USB and it acts like a
    normal removable disk drive. Some units can verify the copy, show pictures
    either on a builtin LCD or a TV set, some units have builtin MP3 players or
    video recorders. Depending on the features and size of the disk drive, prices
    range from $200-700 (or $100 + cost of an appropriate used laptop disk). A
    portable hard drive is more convenient for copying in the field, since the unit
    will fit in a large camera bag, though if the disk fails you lose all of your
    pictures (I knocked my Image Bank off of a table and the disk drive stopped
    working, but fortunately it was empty at that point, and I found a replacement
    6 gig disk for $35).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: