    I am thinking going to Iceland next summer and take a 28mm f2.8 and a
    50 mm f1.8 lens. Please give your opinion. I also have the canon kit
    lens 18-55mm 3.5 t0 5.6. Non zoom lenses are faster. With thanks
    asdf3b, Dec 17, 2007

  2. In article <e6b734e3-f338-4e34-91cd-
    >,
    says...
    > Greetings! Does any of you travel with DSLR and prime lens like 24mm
    > (38.4mm equivalent) or 28mm (44.8 equivalent) ? It seems every one
    > travel with zoom lens now a days.
    > I am thinking going to Iceland next summer and take a 28mm f2.8 and a
    > 50 mm f1.8 lens. Please give your opinion. I also have the canon kit
    > lens 18-55mm 3.5 t0 5.6. Non zoom lenses are faster. With thanks

    Last time I went to Iceland I took a 35mm compact with a 28 - 120mm
    zoom. (Long time ago..)

    However, the Iceland landscape has some enormous panoramas and even on
    film 28mm was restrictive. This is only going to be worse on a 1.6 crop
    format.

    If you take nothing longer than a 50mm you'll kick yourself when you see
    the puffins nesting on cliffs or bobbing on the surface of the sea..
    (Even if you're not into wildlife photography!)

    The up side for you is that with f2.8 or faster you'll be able to shoot
    well into the night..

    Personally I'm prepared to trade off the ultimate in potential image
    quality for the convenience and range of a couple of zooms.. I'd take
    my 10-20 Sigma and 24-105 L. I'd probably take a 100-400 as well, just
    in case. Whatever, I'd also take a good tripod..

    Whatever you decide, enjoy a fabulous country..

    T.
    Tony Gartshore, Dec 17, 2007

  3. asdf3b

    Steven Wandy Guest

    We toured the Canadian Rockies a few years back. I took along an
    Olympus E1 which has multiplier factor of 2x. I took two lenses -
    11-22 (22-44 equivalent) and a 50 (100 equivalent) because it was a
    f2. Aside from some portrait type shots and a little bit of macro work
    (the 50mm was a macro lens) I basically left the 11-22 on the camera.
    I agree with some people that using a prime lens makes you more
    creative/observant because you must use your feet to "zoom", but I
    have found - especially while traveling with a group - that the
    convenience of a zoom can't be overlooked.
    Steve

    Steven Wandy, Dec 17, 2007
  4. asdf3b

    Scott W Guest

    asdf3b wrote:
    > Greetings! Does any of you travel with DSLR and prime lens like 24mm
    > (38.4mm equivalent) or 28mm (44.8 equivalent) ? It seems every one
    > travel with zoom lens now a days.
    > I am thinking going to Iceland next summer and take a 28mm f2.8 and a
    > 50 mm f1.8 lens. Please give your opinion. I also have the canon kit
    > lens 18-55mm 3.5 t0 5.6. Non zoom lenses are faster. With thanks

    If I am going to be shooting in the evening or indoors I will often put
    the 28mm f/2.8 on the camera and just take that. In brighter light it
    is nice to have a wider FL range then just 28mm and 50mm would give, BTW
    I use shooting with a 1.6 crop factor camera like you.

    When we go on vacations we tend to take all our lenses. In my film days
    I spend a lot of time with just a 50mm lens on the camera, which would
    not be far from the 28mm, and often wished for a wider angle lens. At
    one point I got a new film camera that came with something like a
    35-80mm zoom lens, not as fast as the 50mm or as sharp, but very much
    more useful in most conditions.

    We now travel with the kit lens 18-55mm (getting the new kit lens as
    well), the 70-300 IS, 28-200, 300mm f/4 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/2.8, oh
    and a 1.4x tele-extender.

    18mm is often not wide enough but I find stitching a few photos normally
    works to get a wider angle view.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 18, 2007
  5. asdf3b

    jean Guest

    "asdf3b" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > Greetings! Does any of you travel with DSLR and prime lens like 24mm
    > (38.4mm equivalent) or 28mm (44.8 equivalent) ? It seems every one
    > travel with zoom lens now a days.
    > I am thinking going to Iceland next summer and take a 28mm f2.8 and a
    > 50 mm f1.8 lens. Please give your opinion. I also have the canon kit
    > lens 18-55mm 3.5 t0 5.6. Non zoom lenses are faster. With thanks

    I have a 28mm f1.8 and on a cycling trip where I was not expecting to take
    many pictures, it worked very well but if you go somewhere and there are
    more picture opportunities, both wider and longer would help you frame your
    shots better. My travel lens of choice is Canon's 24-105 f4 L IS as long as
    no nature (animals) shots are expected, it's a bit large, but covers a lot.

    Jean
    jean, Dec 18, 2007