    tell the rules about locking one suitcase. It seems one is not allowed
    to lock the checked luggages any more.

    With thanks.

    zxcvar, Sep 8, 2003

  2. zxcvar

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "zxcvar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Greetings! I shall be taking a plane trip soon to Reno - Nevada. I
    > shall be traveling in my carry on briefcase an Olympus D-510 digital
    > camera, a spare memory card and two extra sets rechargable batteries
    > and Image Bank - a portable hard drive made by SIMA. Will there be any
    > problem with the scanners?

    Nope. X-rays have no effect on magnetic media.

    > Secondly any member of this NG who has traveled recently by plane can
    > tell the rules about locking one suitcase. It seems one is not allowed
    > to lock the checked luggages any more.

    You're allowed to lock your suitcase. However, if TSA decides that it wants
    a peek inside, it will break the locks.

    Yesterday, I checked a crammed-full suitcase at SNA. About 20 minutes later
    (and just as I was getting into my glass of wine at the airport bar), I was
    paged by "security." I eventually tracked the call to TSA. It seems that
    they were unable to open my bag and thought it was locked. They asked if I
    had the key. I explained that it was just packed full -- a sharp thump over
    the locks should open them. When I arrived at my destination, I found that
    my advice worked -- the bag was as I closed it, but inside was the TSA
    "we've looked in here" notice.

    This was the second time in about a month that my bag was opened by TSA
    (though each time there were electronics inside).

    However, do not assume that all TSA inspectors will take the trouble of
    trying to track you down and ask if you have a key for your lock. They'll
    just crack your suitcase open and attempt to reseal it.

    Best advice: NEVER pack anything of value in checked luggage. As a rule,
    unless your bag looks peculiar on the x-ray, they won't want to open it
    (Mine did -- it held a clock radio, a jar of screws, a television remote and
    some other odd things). If you use soft-sided luggage that is secured by
    zippers, you can use luggage locks -- TSA will force them, and reseal the
    zippers with plastic ties. You're only out the cost of the lock, and you
    have some security against theft by those in the baggage handling chain.

    As a rule, I don't check bags -- everything is carryon. I have a
    considerable investment in high-quality carry-onable luggage that is the
    maximum size allowed by the airlines.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 8, 2003

  3. zxcvar

    Guest

    zxcvar <> wrote:
    > Greetings! I shall be taking a plane trip soon to Reno - Nevada. I
    > shall be traveling in my carry on briefcase an Olympus D-510 digital
    > camera, a spare memory card and two extra sets rechargable batteries
    > and Image Bank - a portable hard drive made by SIMA. Will there be any
    > problem with the scanners?

    Nope. Be sure the batteries all your electronics equipment are charged
    so you can demonstrate the equipment if any of the TSA guards asks.

    > Secondly any member of this NG who has traveled recently by plane can
    > tell the rules about locking one suitcase. It seems one is not allowed
    > to lock the checked luggages any more.

    Check http://www.tsa.gov for the official policies on air travel and
    your airline's web site.

    , Sep 8, 2003
  4. zxcvar

    Lisa Horton Guest

    zxcvar wrote:

    > Greetings! I shall be taking a plane trip soon to Reno - Nevada. I
    > shall be traveling in my carry on briefcase an Olympus D-510 digital
    > camera, a spare memory card and two extra sets rechargable batteries
    > and Image Bank - a portable hard drive made by SIMA. Will there be any
    > problem with the scanners?
    >
    > Secondly any member of this NG who has traveled recently by plane can
    > tell the rules about locking one suitcase. It seems one is not allowed
    > to lock the checked luggages any more.

    You are correct. The TSA "requests" that all checked baggage be left
    unlocked. I would now consider anything of value in checked luggage to
    be a gift, to someone you don't know.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 8, 2003
  5. >>>>>> As a rule, I don't check bags -- everything is carryon.

    If I have to check bags, I've been checking two, even when I only need one.
    That way, they are only half full and won't explode (pardon my French) when
    TSA tries to open them. Secondly, you can put rare or more expensive items
    in one bag (for this one I have it unlocked but use a cable-tie between the
    zippers), and put anything that the stupid machine might interpret as
    plastic explosive in another bag (this would be 'dense' material--like my
    tubes of German curry ketchup--even a stack of books if I remember what the
    TSA wrote when they first started the program; this bag is of course also
    unlocked). The TSA are good about re-cable-tying the cable-tied back if
    they have to snip it. I have two easy-rolling bags. If the path gets
    narrow or on moving sidewalks I push one ahead and drag the other one
    behind.
    thanks.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Sep 8, 2003