travel warning: TSA took my allen wrenches

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 18, 2004.

  1. About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
    Denver airport. I was carrying a small photo backpack
    with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
    for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
    These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.
    I've carried these for a couple of years without a
    problem. I was flagged for carrying a potential
    weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
    taking it all apart to find the wrenches.
    In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
    "New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
    carry-on. A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
    these wrenches. I pointed out how much smaller and
    less effective small allen wrenches were than keys
    or nail clippers (which are allowed). His answer was
    that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
    allen wrenches were banned.

    So don't take any tools on board any more.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 18, 2004

    wayne Guest

    Denver TSA has always been pretty lame I have a small razor knife that is
    the size of a key it has gone thru the screenings dozens of time in my
    carryon and in the little tray for keys. However when I tried to use an
    expired passport for an ID they said no.
    http://custom-studios.com/keytags.htm. I checked the TSA site and could not
    find anything as far as ID is concerned

    Wayne

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    wayne, Dec 18, 2004

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
    > Denver airport. I was carrying a small photo backpack
    > with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
    > for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
    > These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.
    > I've carried these for a couple of years without a
    > problem. I was flagged for carrying a potential
    > weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
    > taking it all apart to find the wrenches.
    > In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
    > "New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
    > carry-on. A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
    > these wrenches. I pointed out how much smaller and
    > less effective small allen wrenches were than keys
    > or nail clippers (which are allowed). His answer was
    > that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
    > allen wrenches were banned.
    >
    > So don't take any tools on board any more.

    That is right, the prohibited items list (conveniently available in .pdf
    format on the TSA web site) includes tools, but specifically says nail
    clippers and safety razors are allowed.

    Furthermore, if you attempt to bring Allen wrenches to a checkpoint again,
    you can be fined $250 - $1500, because now you are supposed to know better;
    you have been flagged. Do it again and they will assume it is intentional.

    Perhaps Homeland Security believes that the best way to protect US citizens
    is to lock them up on any pretext possible in order to keep them out of
    harm's way.

    I am firmly convinced that TSA is the best possible argument for learning to
    fly. You can carry anything you want on your own airplane.

    C J Campbell, Dec 18, 2004

    Dave Fouchey Guest

    I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
    want...

    Dave

    Dave Fouchey, Dec 18, 2004

    drwxr-xr-x Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:10:24 -0700, Roger N. Clark wrote:
    > About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
    > Denver airport. I was carrying a small photo backpack
    > with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
    > for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
    > These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.
    > I've carried these for a couple of years without a
    > problem. I was flagged for carrying a potential
    > weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
    > taking it all apart to find the wrenches.
    > In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
    > "New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
    > carry-on. A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
    > these wrenches. I pointed out how much smaller and
    > less effective small allen wrenches were than keys
    > or nail clippers (which are allowed). His answer was
    > that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
    > allen wrenches were banned.
    >
    > So don't take any tools on board any more.
    >
    > Roger

    I've been through The Illusion Of Security at DIA many times, as well.
    Many confiscations are capricious and arbitrary. If you try to
    stand your ground, you'll be subjected to a 10-15 search of
    yourself and your carry-on luggage. Furthermore, every airport
    seems to make up their own "local" rules.

    I've had my nail clippers taken, when, as you point out, they
    are permitted. And, as for tools, except for the thugs working
    for the TSA, all of us have opposable thumbs, and EVERYTHING
    is a potential tool.

    The Dept Of Homeland Hysteria has been a god-send for the airport
    thieves. Now they have multi-million dollar machines with which
    to pin-point luggage that contains gold jewelry, expensive cameras,
    und so weiter. No more randomly breaking into bags, in the hope
    of hitting the jackpot. These thieves are only required to go
    through security and metal detectors _on the way in to work_ , not
    on the way out -- with their pockets jingling with stolen articles.

    So sayeth the voice of several wretched experiences...

    drwxr-xr-x, Dec 18, 2004
  6. "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
    > Denver airport. I was carrying a small photo backpack
    > with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
    > for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
    > These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.
    > I've carried these for a couple of years without a
    > problem. I was flagged for carrying a potential
    > weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
    > taking it all apart to find the wrenches.
    > In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
    > "New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
    > carry-on. A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
    > these wrenches. I pointed out how much smaller and
    > less effective small allen wrenches were than keys
    > or nail clippers (which are allowed). His answer was
    > that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
    > allen wrenches were banned.
    >
    > So don't take any tools on board any more.
    >
    > Roger

    TSA's Web site has a list of items you can't carry on. Some people doing
    the checking seem to make up their own rules. Feel free to complain.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 18, 2004

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Dave Fouchey" <> wrote in message
    > I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
    > want...

    Bah! Clogging up the roads with yet another automobile, endangering
    everybody around you while you in turn are at the mercy of every drunk
    driver and vehicle operator who just had a fight with his wife, dodging 18
    wheelers on icy roads -- next thing you know you've run into a school bus
    full of children, one of whom would have grown up to discover a cure for
    cancer, but now he's dead and IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT! Beast. :)

    (I dunno, was that over the top, or what?)

    Seriously, I find flying to be very convenient, fast and comfortable. If I
    want to visit the grandchildren I can be there in 3 1/2 hours, instead of 11
    hours of driving over two major mountain passes in winter. And I get some
    great photos out of the trip, too. <Sigh> Even so I still have trouble
    finding time to get away.

    C J Campbell, Dec 18, 2004

    C J Campbell Guest

    "drwxr-xr-x" <> wrote in message

    > The Dept Of Homeland Hysteria has been a god-send for the airport
    > thieves. Now they have multi-million dollar machines with which
    > to pin-point luggage that contains gold jewelry, expensive cameras,
    > und so weiter. No more randomly breaking into bags, in the hope
    > of hitting the jackpot. These thieves are only required to go
    > through security and metal detectors _on the way in to work_ , not
    > on the way out -- with their pockets jingling with stolen articles.
    >
    > So sayeth the voice of several wretched experiences...

    You would be shocked at how many people at TSA have criminal records.

    C J Campbell, Dec 18, 2004

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message

    > TSA's Web site has a list of items you can't carry on. Some people doing
    > the checking seem to make up their own rules. Feel free to complain.

    The list contains disclaimers which allow local examiners to make up their
    own rules. If, in the sole opinion of the checker, you are carrying
    something that could be used as a weapon, then they can confiscate it, fine
    you, or even have you arrested. If you complain, that is a bad attitude,
    which automatically doubles your fine and tacks time on your sentence. Read
    the guidelines for civil actions. It actually says that.

    C J Campbell, Dec 18, 2004

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave Fouchey" <> wrote in message
    >> I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
    >> want...
    >>

    > Bah! Clogging up the roads with yet another automobile, endangering
    > everybody around you while you in turn are at the mercy of every drunk
    > driver and vehicle operator who just had a fight with his wife, dodging 18
    > wheelers on icy roads -- next thing you know you've run into a school bus
    > full of children, one of whom would have grown up to discover a cure for
    > cancer, but now he's dead and IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT! Beast. :)
    >
    > (I dunno, was that over the top, or what?)
    >
    > Seriously, I find flying to be very convenient, fast and comfortable. If I
    > want to visit the grandchildren I can be there in 3 1/2 hours, instead of
    > 11
    > hours of driving over two major mountain passes in winter. And I get some
    > great photos out of the trip, too. <Sigh> Even so I still have trouble
    > finding time to get away.

    Your attitude is exactly right, except you need to tighten up the foil just
    a bit. You are getting a bit of leakage.

    Rudy Benner, Dec 18, 2004

    Lisa Horton Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:

    > "drwxr-xr-x" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > The Dept Of Homeland Hysteria has been a god-send for the airport
    > > thieves. Now they have multi-million dollar machines with which
    > > to pin-point luggage that contains gold jewelry, expensive cameras,
    > > und so weiter. No more randomly breaking into bags, in the hope
    > > of hitting the jackpot. These thieves are only required to go
    > > through security and metal detectors _on the way in to work_ , not
    > > on the way out -- with their pockets jingling with stolen articles.
    > >
    > > So sayeth the voice of several wretched experiences...

    > You would be shocked at how many people at TSA have criminal records.

    Not to mention the airport ground crews, few of which have had complete
    background checks, and many of whom have easy access to the passenger
    compartments of airplanes. We're not supposed to think about this, just
    like the movies suspension of disbelief is essential to enjoying (or
    not) the show.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Dec 18, 2004

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    Last year, I took my 90 year old mother to Oklahoma to visit my sister
    and so she could get to see her brand new great-grand daughter.

    I guess the fact that I was traveling with my mother marked me as a
    suspicious character. They signaled me out for special screening.
    This, of course, sent my mother into hysterics. She thought they were
    arresting me and taking me away. I kept telling her to go down to the
    other end of the security area and I would meet her there. Of course,
    she just couldn't understand that. After I cleared the screening, it
    took me quite a while to get her calmed back down.

    On the way back home, the situation was reversed: SHE was the one
    signaled out for special screening. There we went all over again! She
    thought that she was being arrested.

    So much for the friendly skies!

    I just hope things go better on this year's trip!

    Gary

    Gary Edstrom, Dec 18, 2004
  13. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:54:40 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dave Fouchey" <> wrote in message
    >> I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
    >> want...
    >>

    >Bah! Clogging up the roads with yet another automobile, endangering
    >everybody around you while you in turn are at the mercy of every drunk
    >driver and vehicle operator who just had a fight with his wife, dodging 18
    >wheelers on icy roads -- next thing you know you've run into a school bus
    >full of children, one of whom would have grown up to discover a cure for
    >cancer, but now he's dead and IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT! Beast. :)
    >
    >(I dunno, was that over the top, or what?)

    Mebbe, but this is America. A clever lawyer will see your logic
    coming a mile away and will point out that the TSA drove him get on
    the highway. So it really is the TSAs fault.

    >Seriously, I find flying to be very convenient, fast and comfortable. If I
    >want to visit the grandchildren I can be there in 3 1/2 hours, instead of 11
    >hours of driving over two major mountain passes in winter. And I get some
    >great photos out of the trip, too. <Sigh> Even so I still have trouble
    >finding time to get away.

    Yeah, flying is fast and convenient. And for some, their livihood
    depends on it. But those silly & inconsistent rules, the humiliating
    body searches, theft from luggage by the people "protecting" us and
    the Gestapo like attitude from the TSA encourage people to drive and
    seek other ways to get from here to there. And even more damaging,
    undermining confidence in our government. This is one way for the
    terrorists to win. They won't have to take us over. We will turn
    ourselves into them.

    The Afgan Taliban is/was Muslim, the American Taliban will be
    Christian.

    reluctant flier, Dec 18, 2004
  14. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:56:33 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >"drwxr-xr-x" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The Dept Of Homeland Hysteria has been a god-send for the airport
    >> thieves. Now they have multi-million dollar machines with which
    >> to pin-point luggage that contains gold jewelry, expensive cameras,
    >> und so weiter. No more randomly breaking into bags, in the hope
    >> of hitting the jackpot. These thieves are only required to go
    >> through security and metal detectors _on the way in to work_ , not
    >> on the way out -- with their pockets jingling with stolen articles.
    >>
    >> So sayeth the voice of several wretched experiences...

    >You would be shocked at how many people at TSA have criminal records.

    Not really. But I would be amused to read any reports or anecdotes
    about it.

    reluctant flier, Dec 18, 2004
  15. Lisa Horton wrote:

    >> You would be shocked at how many people at TSA have criminal records.

    > Not to mention the airport ground crews, few of which have had
    > complete background checks, and many of whom have easy access to the
    > passenger compartments of airplanes. We're not supposed to think
    > about this, just like the movies suspension of disbelief is essential
    > to enjoying (or not) the show.

    I'm not shocked at all with the number of people that have a "record" in
    some form or another. It's what is inside the record that should be taken
    into consideration when hiring these people. I don't believe a record
    should be instant disqualification for these positions. Probably three
    quarters of society have one and you wouldn't even know it. Maybe your
    next-door neighbor or your best friend has one? This surely doesn't mean
    that they aren't great upstanding members of society and aren't trustworthy.
    Just because someone made a mistake, paid their dues, and doing their best
    to be a good contributing member of society doesn't give people cart blanc
    to look down their noses at them.

    Personally, I find it easier and more satisfying to deal with people that
    are honest with themselves and have no need to put on a false facade. Scott
    Peterson didn't have a record and look what he turned out to be. I wouldn't
    want the likes of him rummaging thru my luggage.

    Rita
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 18, 2004

    Lisa Horton Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" wrote:

    > Lisa Horton wrote:
    >
    > >> You would be shocked at how many people at TSA have criminal records.

    > > Not to mention the airport ground crews, few of which have had
    > > complete background checks, and many of whom have easy access to the
    > > passenger compartments of airplanes. We're not supposed to think
    > > about this, just like the movies suspension of disbelief is essential
    > > to enjoying (or not) the show.

    > I'm not shocked at all with the number of people that have a "record" in
    > some form or another. It's what is inside the record that should be taken
    > into consideration when hiring these people. I don't believe a record
    > should be instant disqualification for these positions. Probably three
    > quarters of society have one and you wouldn't even know it. Maybe your
    > next-door neighbor or your best friend has one? This surely doesn't mean
    > that they aren't great upstanding members of society and aren't trustworthy.
    > Just because someone made a mistake, paid their dues, and doing their best
    > to be a good contributing member of society doesn't give people cart blanc
    > to look down their noses at them.
    >
    > Personally, I find it easier and more satisfying to deal with people that
    > are honest with themselves and have no need to put on a false facade. Scott
    > Peterson didn't have a record and look what he turned out to be. I wouldn't
    > want the likes of him rummaging thru my luggage.

    Note that I wasn't the author of the "You would be shocked..." line
    above, only the lines following that one.

    You make a good point though. It depends on what's in the record. A
    person busted for pot in their youth is quite a different story than
    someone with multiple theft convictions. Alas, both are allowed to work
    in airport ground crews at this time.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Dec 18, 2004

    S. Guest

    It's shit like this that creates so much public hostilityand lack of
    confidence toward the TSA. Someday our congrssmen will get the balls to
    force sensible screening legislation.

    S.

    S., Dec 18, 2004

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:50:00 -0500, Dave Fouchey <>
    wrote:

    >I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
    >want...
    >
    >Dave

    Plus, you can always stop to see whatever you want.
    On a plane, you could theoretically get out to see the world's largest
    mud house, but getting back in again is a bitch.

    >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:30:23 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >>That is right, the prohibited items list (conveniently available in .pdf
    >>format on the TSA web site) includes tools, but specifically says nail
    >>clippers and safety razors are allowed.
    >>
    >>Furthermore, if you attempt to bring Allen wrenches to a checkpoint again,
    >>you can be fined $250 - $1500, because now you are supposed to know better;
    >>you have been flagged. Do it again and they will assume it is intentional.
    >>
    >>Perhaps Homeland Security believes that the best way to protect US citizens
    >>is to lock them up on any pretext possible in order to keep them out of
    >>harm's way.
    >>
    >>I am firmly convinced that TSA is the best possible argument for learning to
    >>fly. You can carry anything you want on your own airplane.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Dec 18, 2004
  19. Lisa Horton wrote:

    > Note that I wasn't the author of the "You would be shocked..." line
    > above, only the lines following that one.

    True. I wasn't singling you out; I was just making a generalized statement
    of what I have observed within my short existence on this earth.

    > You make a good point though. It depends on what's in the record. A
    > person busted for pot in their youth is quite a different story than
    > someone with multiple theft convictions. Alas, both are allowed to
    > work in airport ground crews at this time.

    I agree, I really wouldn't want someone that had multiple theft convictions
    handling my baggage. But, the amazing part is when you hear about someone
    getting caught doing these types of crimes is that some of them don't have a
    record because they have never been caught prior to the final incident. I
    consider all of this TSA crap as nothing more than a farce to generate jobs
    to stimulate the economy and whittle away at our freedoms that we have taken
    for granted for so long. That said, I find it easier to travel as light as
    possible and carry all photography equipment onboard.

    Rita
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 18, 2004

    drwxr-xr-x Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.]
    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:08:32 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > ...... That said, I find it easier to travel as light as
    > possible and carry all photography equipment onboard.

    The government functionaries running the Illusion Of Security
    won't be happy until we show up naked -- without luggage --
    and with a RFID chip in our shoulder.

    drwxr-xr-x, Dec 18, 2004