    something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

    thanks.

    Richard

    Richard, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Richard

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Richard <> writes:
    > Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
    > looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
    > type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
    > easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
    > something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

    The Canon Digital Elphs are my favorite. I have the first of them
    (the S100) and it's so great I've never felt a need to upgrade. But
    each of the ones after it has improved on the earlier ones. The
    current one is the S400 and is very popular.

    Paul Rubin, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Richard

    Silvio Dante Guest

    Richard <> staggered into the Bada Bing and slurred:

    >Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
    >looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
    >type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
    >easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
    >something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

    I've found that it's just as easy to carry a larger camera (Olympus 5050
    size) slung over my shoulder on a strap as it is to carry a pocket sized.

    I put the strap over my left shoulder so the camera hangs 12 to 18 inches
    under my right armpit, and wear a jacket or open shirt over it. You can
    grab the camera and have it ready to shoot within 5 seconds by letting the
    strap slide along your body. When you're done, slide the strap back over
    and let the camera hang again. Your right arm will provide good protection.
    I think the camera is even more protected like that than it is in a pocket.

    When traveling, I keep my camera in a carry on bag until after I get
    through security, then I hang it from my shoulder and wear it on the plane.
    You can get good shots from the airplane window during takeoff and landing.

    Like this one http://www.urbanphotos.net/images/lv/leaving_las_vegas.jpg

    I overdid the Photoshop editing (the color of the sky is totally fake) but
    it still stands out in my memory as one of my most exciting photos.

    "She's so fat, her blood type is Ragu."

    Silvio Dante, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Richard

    Jeff Guest

    I also own a D7, which has been collecting dust, since I purchased an S400.
    Great little P&S. It's with me all the time.
    It uses CF cards, 3x zoom, 4mpixel.

    Jeff.

    Jeff, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Richard

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Silvio Dante" <> wrote in message
    > Richard <> staggered into the Bada Bing and slurred:
    >
    > >Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
    > >looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
    > >type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
    > >easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
    > >something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

    > I've found that it's just as easy to carry a larger camera (Olympus 5050
    > size) slung over my shoulder on a strap as it is to carry a pocket sized.
    >
    > I put the strap over my left shoulder so the camera hangs 12 to 18 inches
    > under my right armpit, and wear a jacket or open shirt over it. You can
    > grab the camera and have it ready to shoot within 5 seconds by letting the
    > strap slide along your body. When you're done, slide the strap back over
    > and let the camera hang again. Your right arm will provide good

    protection.
    > I think the camera is even more protected like that than it is in a

    pocket.

    > When traveling, I keep my camera in a carry on bag until after I get
    > through security, then I hang it from my shoulder and wear it on the

    plane.
    > You can get good shots from the airplane window during takeoff and

    landing.

    > Like this one http://www.urbanphotos.net/images/lv/leaving_las_vegas.jpg

    It's a very nice shot, but I've got to point out: on most international
    flights, and all domestic US flights, use of electronic devices, which would
    include digital cameras, is prohibited until the aircraft has reached 10,000
    feet.

    I agree with you, though, about carrying the camera slung over your
    shoulder. I travel with both a video camera and a still camera (which will
    now be a Canon 10d). I wear them "bandillero style," which lets me get to
    either in a hurry. My camcorder is quite large -- definitely not a
    "handicam" -- and the 10d is no light-weight either. However, carrying the
    cameras in this way isn't at all burdensome, and I'm always ready to record
    the moment.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 3, 2003
  6. Richard

    Aardvark Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
    > looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
    > type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
    > easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
    > something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

    Canon IXUS 400. 4MP, takes CF cards (Type I). As good as any ultracompacts
    or even bigger ones. The drawback : no manual exposure mode ( ie, aperture
    priority, shutter priority. Full program mode only) . But unlike other
    ultracompacts, it has a good long exposure mode ( up to 15 seconds ).

    Aardvark, Aug 3, 2003
  7. On Saturday 02 August 2003 10:40 pm, Richard wrote:

    > Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
    > looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
    > type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a
    > pocket
    > easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
    > something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

    The Canon Digital Elphs come to mind. Several models: 2mp to 4mp.
    All, except the SD100, take CF cards.

    --
    Stefan Patric

    Stefan Patric, Aug 3, 2003
  8. For a CF card camera, grab one of the small Canons and a tabletop
    tripod.

    I have a lot of Memory Sticks so I grabbed a Konica KD500Z and a
    tabletop tripod. I've been shooting a lot with it the past week or two
    and am very pleased with its capabilities, even though it's an ISO 100
    camera and that's it.

    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/26.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/27.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/28.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/28a.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/29.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/29a.htm

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 4, 2003
  9. Richard

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Godfrey DiGiorgi <> writes:
    > I have a lot of Memory Sticks so I grabbed a Konica KD500Z and a

    Does the Konica use memory sticks?!

    Paul Rubin, Aug 4, 2003
  10. Richard

    J Guest