    I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
    a scanner, particularly for this purpose.

    , Apr 10, 2005

  2. TheNewsGuy Guest

    On 10 Apr 2005 04:26:29 -0700, wrote:

    >I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
    >a scanner, particularly for this purpose.

    I am, as we "speak" using a Nikon Coolscan V to archive my 50 years of
    slides. I bought it "used" from eBay and will sell it back on eBay
    when I am finished.

    I do not have the batch slide adapter because I had read from a lot of
    users that they bind if the slides are a bit frayed and they can't
    really be left unattended. So to save the extra cost am doing
    without it.

    The purpose of your slide scanning is important. The newer machines
    have fantastically high resolution but do you need that? (I don't for
    my "snapshots") But if you are displaying prints...

    Consider the time it takes to scan at the settings YOU will use.
    Although Nikon claims a 38 second scan, on the CS V, that is without
    ICE, at 8-bit, or without other pre-processing. With ICE on "normal"
    and at 14 bit I am getting about three minutes per scan. That's a
    long time for 1500 slides. But ICE is worth it. I do most at 8-bit
    unless I have a special image. I thought my slides would be clean and
    free of dust or spots since they have been in Carousel boxes all these
    years. NOPE! Without ICE I had to "clean" my first batch in
    Photoshop. So now I process all with ICE.

    I am happier scanning with no ehancements set in the scanning software
    and then post processing individually in Photoshop.

    I have 512MB in my PC and can scan slides while surfing the 'Net,
    reading Newsgroups, or processing in Photoshop. I would not use other
    applications while scanning with any less memory.

    So, I am new at this but am pleased with the results so far.

    Hope that helps a little.

    I will happy to read other more experienced user's advice too.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Addenuf Guest

    It may be worth considering a Scan Elite or similar with a slide carrier.
    My 5400 can take 4 slides or 6 negatives. Unattended scanning, albeit for
    relatively brief periods is a real bonus especially whe you have many
    slides/negatives to scan.
    Mind you, my first scanner developed and error and was replaced after 6
    months and 3000+ slides. The latest one has done over 1000 so far and
    whilst I was going to put it on ebay my family keep "finding" more and more
    dusty boxes of mildewed slides and pressed negatives!
    HTH
    DP

    Addenuf, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Ken_B Guest

    It just happens that scanners are rated in this month's issue of Consumer
    reports, and the review included scanners that will do film and slides.

    The two they recommend for this is Epson Perfection 4180 Photo, and Microtek
    ScanMaker s400. The Epson is more expensive, but faster according to the
    article.

    Hope this helps.

    Ken_B, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Mike Guest

    Mike, Apr 11, 2005
  6. On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:41:21 +0100, Mike wrote:

    > <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
    >> a scanner, particularly for this purpose.
    >>

    > PrimeFilm 1800 u from Pacific Image Electronics
    > http://www.scanace.com/en/product/product.php

    Now there is a 3600 model which includes digital ICE. Very good results.

    --

    Gautam Majumdar

    Please send e-mails to

    Gautam Majumdar, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Stewy Guest

    In article <zQi6e.10957$>,
    "Mike" <> wrote:

    > <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > >I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
    > > a scanner, particularly for this purpose.
    > >

    > PrimeFilm 1800 u from Pacific Image Electronics
    > http://www.scanace.com/en/product/product.php
    >

    > Tests results here (negatives):
    >
    > http://dhost.info/photocanon/mai1968/index.htm
    >
    > and here (slides) :
    > http://dhost.info/photocanon/diapos/index.htm
    >

    > Bet it has resolution enough for your needs.
    > Not expensive.

    If that resolution is not enough, take a look at the next step - Minolta
    Dimage IV. It'll also take APS films. The next (and best) scanner on the
    market is the Nikon Coolscan (various models) with a great filter for
    getting rid of dust spots, scratches and tramlines.

    The post treatment of slides and negs is even more time-consuming than
    the original scan - you'll be surprised how much crud and dust settles
    on film despite careful handling.

    If you've switched to digital, then your stock of negs and slides is
    finite and you can always re-sell your scanner on ebay - maybe you can
    get a used one there too.

    Stewy, Apr 11, 2005
  8. David Chien Guest

    1) search www.deja.com - lots of prior posts on this topic.
    2) www.imaging-resource.com -> scanners - lots of scanners compared and
    reviewed.
    http://www.jamesphotography.ca/bakeoff2004/scanner_test_results.html -
    lots of recent ones tested for resolution. you can see the difference
    between scanners made today
    3) Digital ICE is recommended if you have dust on film & don't want to
    do a lot of touch up post-scan.
    4) w/o Digital ICE, Minolta Scan Dual IV is the best 'beginner's'
    scanner cheap - as low as $209 from www.shopper.com search eg. buydig.com
    5) w/digital ICE, you might as well buy the world's best - Minolta 5400
    II with the highest resolution in a <$1000 consumer level scanner. Only
    $525 at pagecomputers.com from shopper.com price searching. You won't
    get a scanner with better resolution than this baby, and you certainly
    will be wasting money on anything else (eg. Nikons, etc. - they'll have
    lower resolution, poor quality, etc.).
    6) Expect to sit and wait - any of these will take about 5 minutes per
    frame to do a full pre-scan, tweak of controls, scan, touch-up, and
    save. Longer if you've got more tweaks or digital ICE going. It's
    never a fast process, and here, outsourcing to a local scan shop may be
    more economical (even at $5 per frame! if you don't have that many rolls
    of film to do). Scan shops can do a great job at this because they know
    what to do to get the best image.
    Here, outsourcing to a local print lab that has the ability to scan
    films into their digital film printers (eg. Noritsu) at a lower res.
    (Picture CD quality - 1.5MP or so), is also doable for $1-2 max per
    frame if absolute quality isn't important.

    David Chien, Apr 11, 2005
  9. meow Guest

    I bought a Nikon Coolscan IV off Ebay a few years ago, they have digital Ice
    and should be only a couple hundred dollars now. I'm very happy with it.

    meow, Apr 12, 2005
  10. meow Guest

    meow, Apr 12, 2005
  11. meow Guest

    meow, Apr 12, 2005
  12. meow Guest

    meow, Apr 12, 2005
  13. Stewy Guest

    In article <425b7aa6$>, "meow" <> wrote:

    > I bought a Nikon Coolscan IV off Ebay a few years ago, they have digital Ice
    > and should be only a couple hundred dollars now. I'm very happy with it.
    >

    > "David Chien" <> wrote in message
    > > 1) search www.deja.com - lots of prior posts on this topic.
    > > 2) www.imaging-resource.com -> scanners - lots of scanners compared and
    > > reviewed.
    > > http://www.jamesphotography.ca/bakeoff2004/scanner_test_results.html -
    > > lots of recent ones tested for resolution. you can see the difference
    > > between scanners made today
    > > 3) Digital ICE is recommended if you have dust on film & don't want to do
    > > a lot of touch up post-scan.
    > > 4) w/o Digital ICE, Minolta Scan Dual IV is the best 'beginner's' scanner
    > > cheap - as low as $209 from www.shopper.com search eg. buydig.com
    > > 5) w/digital ICE, you might as well buy the world's best - Minolta 5400 II
    > > with the highest resolution in a <$1000 consumer level scanner. Only $525
    > > at pagecomputers.com from shopper.com price searching. You won't get a
    > > scanner with better resolution than this baby, and you certainly will be
    > > wasting money on anything else (eg. Nikons, etc. - they'll have lower
    > > resolution, poor quality, etc.).
    > > 6) Expect to sit and wait - any of these will take about 5 minutes per
    > > frame to do a full pre-scan, tweak of controls, scan, touch-up, and save.
    > > Longer if you've got more tweaks or digital ICE going. It's never a fast
    > > process, and here, outsourcing to a local scan shop may be more economical
    > > (even at $5 per frame! if you don't have that many rolls of film to do).
    > > Scan shops can do a great job at this because they know what to do to get
    > > the best image.
    > > Here, outsourcing to a local print lab that has the ability to scan
    > > films into their digital film printers (eg. Noritsu) at a lower res.
    > > (Picture CD quality - 1.5MP or so), is also doable for $1-2 max per frame
    > > if absolute quality isn't important.

    Four meaw's? I think the cat needs feeding...

    Stewy, Apr 14, 2005