    externally but I have no idea of the quality.. probly very slow compared to
    other laptops. Im interested in the clevo M385C 15inch widescreen model, the
    screen res was nice and clear.
    v3, May 20, 2004

  2. In article <c8hf5f$u75$>, says...
    > Anyone know much about these budget laptops, they look quite good design
    > externally but I have no idea of the quality.. probly very slow compared to
    > other laptops. Im interested in the clevo M385C 15inch widescreen model, the
    > screen res was nice and clear.

    The CPU is not x86, it's a different type running an emulation, good low
    power characteristics. The Dick Smith one had no PC card slots, not such
    good value when you look a little closer.
    Patrick Dunford, May 20, 2004

  3. v3

    Mike_P Guest

    "v3" <> wrote in message news:c8hf5f$u75$...
    > Anyone know much about these budget laptops, they look quite good design
    > externally but I have no idea of the quality.. probly very slow compared

    > other laptops. Im interested in the clevo M385C 15inch widescreen model,

    the
    > screen res was nice and clear.

    Have you got a link ?
    Mike_P, May 20, 2004
  4. v3

    v3 Guest

    "Mike_P" <> wrote in message

    > "v3" <> wrote in message news:c8hf5f$u75$...
    > > Anyone know much about these budget laptops, they look quite good design
    > > externally but I have no idea of the quality.. probly very slow compared

    > > other laptops. Im interested in the clevo M385C 15inch widescreen model,

    > the
    > > screen res was nice and clear.
    > >

    > Have you got a link ?

    the transmata is sold at most cpu shops.

    but I can only find the clevo M385C sold at orange computers
    http://www.orangecomputers.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=7508&idOrangeComputers_Products=72

    if anyone knows another shop that sells the clevo M385C model let me know
    please.Ive asked a few but there suppliers dont sell it...
    v3, May 20, 2004
  5. v3

    v3 Guest

    v3, May 20, 2004
  6. Nicholas Sherlock, May 20, 2004
  7. v3

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew, May 20, 2004
  8. In article <c8i8dv$lfo$>, says...

    > "Mike_P" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "v3" <> wrote in message news:c8hf5f$u75$...
    > > > Anyone know much about these budget laptops, they look quite good design
    > > > externally but I have no idea of the quality.. probly very slow compared

    > > > other laptops. Im interested in the clevo M385C 15inch widescreen model,

    > > the
    > > > screen res was nice and clear.
    > > >

    > > Have you got a link ?
    > >

    > the transmata is sold at most cpu shops.
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121317
    >
    > but I can only find the clevo M385C sold at orange computers
    > http://www.orangecomputers.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=7508&idOrangeComputers_Products=72
    >
    > if anyone knows another shop that sells the clevo M385C model let me know
    > please.Ive asked a few but there suppliers dont sell it...

    Some of their models are made by elitegroup of taiwan/china

    www.ecs.co.tw
    Patrick Dunford, May 21, 2004
  9. In article <c8i8dv$lfo$>, "v3" <> wrote:

    > the transmata is sold at most cpu shops.

    ^^^^^^^

    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121317

    transmeta

    the company where Linus Torvalds went
    Chips are supposed to do software emulation of almost any hardware, much
    more efficiently than any hardware emulator

    I believe these chips are in one of the Indian low cost pcs
    J.Random Luser, May 21, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford, May 21, 2004
  11. v3

    v3 Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > v3, when stopped by the local constabulary on 21/05/2004 12:36 a.m.,
    > made the following statement:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >
    > > but I can only find the clevo M385C sold at orange computers

    http://www.orangecomputers.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=7508&idOrangeComputers_Products=72

    > Ahhhm... 'scuse me.
    >
    > "CENTRINO"?
    > "Pentium M 1.5GHz"?
    >
    > This is no Transmeta, Batman.
    >
    > THESE are Transmeta powered laptops:
    > http://tinyurl.com/35fa2
    > http://tinyurl.com/28cb2

    I know that link is not for transmeta, I posted 2 links ones was for the
    transmeta the other was a clevo 15inch model laptop I was also interested
    in... so I take it from the responses no one knows much about either
    laptops..
    v3, May 21, 2004
  12. v3 wrote:
    > I know that link is not for transmeta, I posted 2 links ones was for the
    > transmeta the other was a clevo 15inch model laptop I was also interested
    > in... so I take it from the responses no one knows much about either
    > laptops..

    For Performance
    The centrino perform very well, a ~1.6GHz Centrino will perform about
    the same as a ~2.4GHz P4M
    the Transmeta machine will be left in the dust.

    For Battery
    The Transmeta machine should outlast the Centrino, and both will easily
    outlast the P4M

    Overall?
    I'd take a Centrino.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 21, 2004
  13. v3

    steve Guest

    v3 wrote:
    > Anyone know much about these budget laptops, they look quite good design
    > externally but I have no idea of the quality.. probly very slow compared to
    > other laptops. Im interested in the clevo M385C 15inch widescreen model, the
    > screen res was nice and clear.

    They will likely be "fast enough".

    Very nice - as they often have no cooling fan....and can be quiet.

    I'd run Linux on mine....and current versions of Linux run very well on
    PII-300MHz systems with 128MB of RAM or more.

    So a Transmeta-based laptop would be a screaming speed machine by
    comparison.
    steve, May 21, 2004
  14. v3

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > v3 wrote:
    >> I know that link is not for transmeta, I posted 2 links ones was for
    >> the transmeta the other was a clevo 15inch model laptop I was also
    >> interested in... so I take it from the responses no one knows much
    >> about either laptops..

    > For Performance
    > The centrino perform very well, a ~1.6GHz Centrino will perform about
    > the same as a ~2.4GHz P4M
    > the Transmeta machine will be left in the dust.
    >
    > For Battery
    > The Transmeta machine should outlast the Centrino, and both will
    > easily outlast the P4M
    >
    > Overall?
    > I'd take a Centrino.

    Me too. Those Banias Pentium M CPUs rock! And the Dothans look like they're
    going to be even better.

    http://www4.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040510/dothan-01.html
    --
    ~misfit~