    consider there are much more people speaking French or Spanish around the
    world...can someone explain that ? I prefer not even deal with Chinese...

    Regards

    Coercitas, May 17, 2005

  2. Its in here:
    This FAQ will also be published on the Technology Advancement Program site:
    https://microsoft.productorder.com/serverx64/default.aspx

    I know this is lengthy but it should answer some of your questions:

    Q: What languages are available?

    A: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese,
    with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed
    below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted
    the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following
    languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

    a.. German
    b.. French
    c.. Spanish
    d.. Italian
    e.. Korean
    f.. Chinese Simplified
    g.. Chinese Traditional
    h.. Japanese

    Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?

    A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of
    Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the
    exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the
    same as the MUI version on English Windows Server 2003 from a feature and
    architectural point of view,

    Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?

    A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and
    server pages.

    Client: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

    Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/default.mspx

    --
    -Joe Swart [MSFT]

    Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these
    newsgroups.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005

  3. Coercitas

    Coercitas Guest

    Hello Andre and thanx for your polite answer (I say "polite" because I
    realise my own post wasn't that kind).

    Regards

    "Andre Da Costa" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > Its in here:
    > This FAQ will also be published on the Technology Advancement Program

    site:
    > https://microsoft.productorder.com/serverx64/default.aspx
    >
    > I know this is lengthy but it should answer some of your questions:
    >

    > Q: What languages are available?
    >
    > A: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese,
    > with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed
    > below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be

    posted
    > the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following
    > languages will have MUI Packs available for download:
    >

    > a.. German
    > b.. French
    > c.. Spanish
    > d.. Italian
    > e.. Korean
    > f.. Chinese Simplified
    > g.. Chinese Traditional
    > h.. Japanese
    >

    > Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?
    >
    > A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version

    of
    > Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With

    the
    > exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are

    the
    > same as the MUI version on English Windows Server 2003 from a feature and
    > architectural point of view,
    >

    > Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?
    >
    > A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client

    and
    > server pages.
    >
    > Client: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
    >
    > Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/default.mspx
    >

    > --
    > -Joe Swart [MSFT]

    rights.

    Coercitas, May 17, 2005
  4. I didn't detect any impoliteness?

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005
  5. Hi,

    Coercitas wrote:
    > PS : really surprised there are releases for German and Japanese when
    > you consider there are much more people speaking French or Spanish
    > around the world...can someone explain that ? I prefer not even deal
    > with Chinese...

    German and Japanese are generally the first two non-English languages
    available for a product. Why those two? This is for "testing" purposes.
    German words and labels are generally longer and it helps detecting if all
    UI elements have enough room for all localized versions. Japanese uses
    another character encoding.

    That's why...

    --
    Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
    Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France

    Christophe Lauer [MS], May 19, 2005
  6. Coercitas

    Coercitas Guest

    Thanx for this reply, it fits with what I was assuming but I still think
    that 2-3 months are much too long for a "translation".

    MSDN Website doesn't really provide enought informations about datelines...

    message de news: OSCE#...

    Coercitas, May 19, 2005
  7. Hi,

    Coercitas wrote:
    > Thanx for this reply, it fits with what I was assuming but I still
    > think that 2-3 months are much too long for a "translation".

    It's not only about translation. Once the translationa are done, the
    products will have to go through intensite quality testing, which obviously
    takes time given the number of different languages.

    > MSDN Website doesn't really provide enought informations about
    > datelines...

    The nice thing about MUIs is that you can start deploy Windows x64 English
    today, and later apply the MUI for your prefered language.

    Regards,

    Christophe Lauer [MS], May 19, 2005
  8. Coercitas

    NNBXX Guest

    Like French language, for example ;)

    Regards,

    Jean-Baptiste Faure

    NNBXX, May 19, 2005
  9. NNBXX wrote:
    > Like French language, for example ;)

    Correct ;)

    --
    Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
    Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France
    http://blogs.microsoft.fr/clauer/
    rights.

    Christophe Lauer [MS], May 19, 2005
  10. Coercitas

    Coercitas Guest

    Not really, due to links in your START menu.

    There are many incorrect behaviours when you don't really use the same
    language on servers than on clients.

    For my own point of view, everything should be in english (don't understand
    I think it is legit, I only think we have to chose a simple language and
    english is the simplest I know, there is no flame nor anything in this
    sentence, just something most people realised at least once when learning a
    new language). Unfortunately, many people have a real problem with foreign
    languages, so...

    I'm not wiling to start a debate (nor flame) but I don't think it is fair to
    throw English (and German / Japanese in this case) 6 months before other
    languages...especially when you know those languages are supported in 32
    bits and Itanium versions of the exact same OS...6 months is much too long
    for a company like Microsoft.

    Linux is much faster and made of volunteers for example...an example
    Microsoft should learn to consider and follow.

    Coercitas, May 19, 2005
  11. Christophe Lauer [MS] <> wrote:
    > NNBXX wrote:
    >> Like French language, for example ;)

    > Correct ;)

    who needs french language anyway ;);)

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 19, 2005
  12. Coercitas

    NNBXX Guest

    LOL !!!!

    "Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <> wrote in
    message news:%...

    NNBXX, May 19, 2005
  13. Coercitas

    Coercitas Guest

    People who once went to school ? :eek:)

    #...

    Coercitas, May 19, 2005
  14. Coercitas <> wrote:
    > People who once went to school ? :eek:)
    >

    > "NNBXX" <> a écrit dans le message
    > de news: #...
    >> LOL !!!!
    >>
    >> "Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <>
    >> wrote in message news:%...

    >>> who needs french language anyway ;);)
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    >>> Johannesburg - South Africa
    >>> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

    Never mind, I'm french speaking, it's my mother tongue...

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 19, 2005
  15. Coercitas

    Coercitas Guest

    I live in Paris, I'm french and I clearly don't feel insulted in this post,
    so I don't mind :)

    As long as I can discuss with people in their own language about my tongue
    being cool / efficient / nice or dunno what, I really don't mind, at least I
    comprehend and I like humor :)

    le message de news: #...

    Coercitas, May 19, 2005
  16. Coercitas <> wrote:
    > I live in Paris, I'm french and I clearly don't feel insulted in this
    > post, so I don't mind :)
    >
    > As long as I can discuss with people in their own language about my
    > tongue being cool / efficient / nice or dunno what, I really don't
    > mind, at least I comprehend and I like humor :)

    Tout va donc pour le mieux.

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 19, 2005
  17. Coercitas

    NNBXX Guest

    Effectivement ;)

    NNBXX, May 19, 2005
  18. Points taken, thanks for the feedback.

    Indeed, a large part of the translation is identical to other versions of
    Windows and the delay between English and MUI releases is mostly due to time
    required to test.

    This has been completed for German, Japanese, French, Spanish and Italian
    and the remaining languages should be done in a few weeks. Add some extra
    time for actual availability depending on your distribution channel and/or
    location.

    Bruno Lewin [MSFT]
    x64 MUI Program Manager
    Ce message est fourni en l'état, sans garantie d'aucune sorte, et ne vous
    confère aucun droit. Vous assumez tous les risques liés à son utilisation.

    Bruno Lewin [MS], May 19, 2005
  19. Bruno Lewin [MS] <> wrote:
    > Points taken, thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > Indeed, a large part of the translation is identical to other
    > versions of Windows and the delay between English and MUI releases is
    > mostly due to time required to test.
    >
    > This has been completed for German, Japanese, French, Spanish and
    > Italian and the remaining languages should be done in a few weeks.
    > Add some extra time for actual availability depending on your
    > distribution channel and/or location.
    >
    > Bruno Lewin [MSFT]
    > x64 MUI Program Manager
    > rights. Ce message est fourni en l'état, sans garantie d'aucune
    > sorte, et ne vous confère aucun droit. Vous assumez tous les risques
    > liés à son utilisation.

    Hi Bruno,

    Nice to see you here. I'm happy to see some many softies involved here ;)

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 20, 2005
  20. Coercitas

    Coercitas Guest

    hé hé, bah moi ça va parfaitement :eek:)

    Let's keep it in English.

    The only reason why I feel (I am actually) impatient is for testing purpose
    since my society - insurance society, thus HUGE databases, so very long
    batches running each night - needs to rewrite most of our applications
    (migrating from the laughable "windev" to Visual Studio .NET) with french
    language components...

    We already use x64 for SQL servers (but SQL 2005 is only a beta server,
    doh...) and let me tell you I really enjoy the performance boost (around 35%
    time save).

    So I asked because I didn't found any information about release dates (I use
    MSDN Universal as a main information center).

    That's all :)

    Coercitas, May 20, 2005