    We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an AS and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP table. As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.

    Thx
    Gary
    Gary, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Gary

    shope Guest

    Gary,

    you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "shope" <> wrote in message
    > Gary,
    >
    > you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
    > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an

    AS
    > and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

    table.
    > As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
    > address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.
    >
    > Thx
    > Gary

    Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
    the right direction.

    thx
    Gary
    Gary, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Gary

    shope Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > "shope" <> wrote in message
    > > Gary,
    > >
    > > you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
    > > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > > We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have

    an
    > AS
    > > and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

    > table.
    > > As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
    > > address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased

    line.

    > > Thx
    > > Gary
    > >

    > Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
    > the right direction.

    Gary

    i dont do this using BGP in my day job, so best way is to point you are some
    refs

    Here is a Cisco note about aggregating routes
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/aggregation.html

    you want to aggregate all routes to 0.0.0.0/0, and only propagate the
    summary

    i suggest you try this on the bench before you put it on a "live" network :)

    --
    Regards

    shope, Oct 22, 2003
  5. In article <V8wlb.97563$AH4.45956@lakeread06>,
    Gary <> wrote:
    >"shope" <> wrote in message
    >> Gary,
    >>
    >> you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
    >> "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an

    >AS
    >> and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

    >table.
    >> As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
    >> address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.
    >>
    >> Thx
    >> Gary
    >>

    >Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
    >the right direction.

    router bgp <your-as>
    neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as <their-as>
    neighbor x.x.x.x distribute-list 1 out
    neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate

    access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA
    Barry Margolin, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Barry Margolin" <> wrote in message
    > In article <V8wlb.97563$AH4.45956@lakeread06>,
    > Gary <> wrote:
    > >"shope" <> wrote in message
    > >> Gary,
    > >>
    > >> you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards
    > >>
    > >> Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
    > >> "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > >> We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have

    an
    > >AS
    > >> and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

    > >table.
    > >> As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise

    their
    > >> address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased

    line.

    > >> Thx
    > >> Gary
    > >>

    > >Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
    > >the right direction.

    > router bgp <your-as>
    > neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as <their-as>
    > neighbor x.x.x.x distribute-list 1 out
    > neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate
    >
    > access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin,
    > Level(3), Woburn, MA
    > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to

    newsgroups.
    > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

    group.

    Would it be better/easier to announce the address space and AS as part of
    our network, and then just static route the /20 to the actual owners ?

    I posted this to the group also.

    Gary
    Gary, Oct 25, 2003