Transgaming on Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Today I installed WineX 3.2.1 on mydaughter's Xandros 2.0 Linux PC.

    WineX is a DirectX-capable version of WINE (Windows emulator for unix/linux
    systems) that can run - on Linux - many 3D-accelerated Windows games - like
    SimCity 4, Warcraft III, HalfLife, Max Payne and many others. You can get
    it from www.transgaming.com.

    My 10yo daughter's PC is a PIII-866 with nVidia GF2-MX400 video and 512MB of
    RAM.

    I then installed the first Harry Potter PC game ("Harry Potter and the
    Philosopher's Stone") through WineX....and she played it for a couple of
    hours until she got bored.

    Both the install and the running of the game went perfectly.

    She was more than pleased and so was I.

    One less reason to use Windows! :)

    steve, Feb 1, 2004

  2. steve

    Lebowski Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Today I installed WineX 3.2.1 on mydaughter's Xandros 2.0 Linux PC.
    >
    > WineX is a DirectX-capable version of WINE (Windows emulator for

    unix/linux
    > systems) that can run - on Linux - many 3D-accelerated Windows games -

    like
    > SimCity 4, Warcraft III, HalfLife, Max Payne and many others. You can get
    > it from www.transgaming.com.
    >
    > My 10yo daughter's PC is a PIII-866 with nVidia GF2-MX400 video and 512MB

    of
    > RAM.
    >
    > I then installed the first Harry Potter PC game ("Harry Potter and the
    > Philosopher's Stone") through WineX....and she played it for a couple of
    > hours until she got bored.
    >
    > Both the install and the running of the game went perfectly.
    >
    > She was more than pleased and so was I.
    >
    > One less reason to use Windows! :)

    ....or you could just get XP ;)

    Lebowski, Feb 1, 2004

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Lebowski wrote:

    > ...or you could just get XP ;)

    But then you can't play Linux games.....and there are some good ones.

    Ask my kids.

    There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go without
    TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles. :)

    steve, Feb 2, 2004
  4. steve wrote:
    > Lebowski wrote:
    >
    >> ...or you could just get XP ;)

    > But then you can't play Linux games.....and there are some good ones.
    >
    > Ask my kids.
    >
    > There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go
    > without TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles. :)

    These have both been ported to Windoze.. :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 2, 2004

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 2, 2004
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Lebowski wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...or you could just get XP ;)

    >> But then you can't play Linux games.....and there are some good ones.
    >>
    >> Ask my kids.
    >>
    >> There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go
    >> without TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles. :)

    > These have both been ported to Windoze.. :)

    OK... :)

    If my daughter wants Windows, she can come up with the required $489 to buy
    a full legal copy......as we have nothing to upgrade with.

    http://www.monotapu.co.nz/software_games/os/42275.htm

    Name: Windows® XP Home Edition
    Brand: Microsoft®
    Product Code: N09-00051
    Product Number: 42275
    Price (NZ$)*: $489.00

    steve, Feb 2, 2004
  7. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:29:56 +1300, steve wrote:

    > There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go without
    > TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles. :)

    I was wondering where Bubbles had gotten to.

    Please ask your kids to unfreeze him and send him home at once.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 2, 2004
  8. steve

    techie Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:18:34 -0600, steve wrote:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >

    >> These have both been ported to Windoze.. :)

    > OK... :)
    >
    > If my daughter wants Windows, she can come up with the required $489 to
    > buy a full legal copy......as we have nothing to upgrade with.

    Now imagine having four computers running Linux or FreeBSD, and not a
    copy of Windows in the house because you burned them or gave them to
    your worst enemies. :eek:)

    Is this how MS intends to win back linux converts? "Look kid, give up
    your free OS and come back to Windows, and we'll charge you just $489
    per system, for four systems".

    techie, Feb 2, 2004