    98) or do I have to chuck it in the bin and purchase a new one?

    Cheers,

    Nick.

    Nick \(UK\), Nov 13, 2003

  2. Nick \(UK\)

    °Mike° Guest

    I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use it,
    providing the other system meets the hardware
    compatibility specs.
    http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

    Win 98/Me/2000 to XP Upgrade Issues
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:37:59 -0000, in
    <tBUsb.1878$>
    Nick (UK) scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Nick \(UK\)

    Nick \(UK\) Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use it,
    > providing the other system meets the hardware
    > compatibility specs.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp
    >
    > Win 98/Me/2000 to XP Upgrade Issues
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
    >

    > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:37:59 -0000, in
    > <tBUsb.1878$>
    > Nick (UK) scrawled:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I'm about to purchase a new PC which will have Win XP installed.
    > >The PC I am currently using has been upgraded to XP from Win ME and will

    be
    > >traded in for the new one, the current upgraded OS will be wiped.
    > >Question is can I use my current upgrade pack on my partner's machine

    (Win
    > >98) or do I have to chuck it in the bin and purchase a new one?
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >
    > >Nick.
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks Mike,

    The PC I'm looking to upgrade is a mid '98 model, so there shouldn't be any
    hardware issues.

    What I was really referring to is the activation process. As the disk has
    already been installed on one machine, M$ may think it's a pirated copy and
    refuse the activation??

    Nick.

    Nick \(UK\), Nov 14, 2003
  4. Nick \(UK\)

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:12:31 -0000, in
    <R5Vsb.1914$>
    Nick (UK) scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use it,
    >> providing the other system meets the hardware
    >> compatibility specs.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp
    >>
    >> Win 98/Me/2000 to XP Upgrade Issues
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
    >>

    >> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:37:59 -0000, in
    >> <tBUsb.1878$>
    >> Nick (UK) scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Hi all,
    >> >
    >> >I'm about to purchase a new PC which will have Win XP installed.
    >> >The PC I am currently using has been upgraded to XP from Win ME and will

    >be
    >> >traded in for the new one, the current upgraded OS will be wiped.
    >> >Question is can I use my current upgrade pack on my partner's machine

    >(Win
    >> >98) or do I have to chuck it in the bin and purchase a new one?
    >> >
    >> >Cheers,
    >> >
    >> >Nick.
    >> >

    >Thanks Mike,
    >
    >The PC I'm looking to upgrade is a mid '98 model, so there
    >shouldn't be any hardware issues.
    >
    >What I was really referring to is the activation process. As
    >the disk has already been installed on one machine, M$ may
    >think it's a pirated copy and refuse the activation??
    >
    >Nick.

    Right, I see. Not being well versed in matters XP, I really
    don't know the answer to that, other than to suggest you
    contact Microsoft and explain the situation.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  5. My interpretation of the licese agreement is that you have a single user
    license. That is you can use it on one pc, but only one.
    Microsoft is unlikely to obstruct the activation. I've reinstalled this pc
    at least a dozen times & never had an activation problem. That's not to say
    that you won't have one though.
    If all else fails, assuming you still have the win98 install cd/disks,
    backup your partners pc & try it.

    Situation_Toasted, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Nick \(UK\)

    refrigerator Guest

    If it has been more than 120 days since the last activation, then the change
    in hardware really shouldn't pose much of a problem. The activation
    database is reset and will see this as a new activation. For all MS knows,
    you could have just upgraded.

    refrigerator, Nov 14, 2003