    I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my 'cleaned out' PC,
    but would like to be able to refer to any previous correspondance and to be
    able to find email addresses if necessary. Thanks.

    JWBH, Jul 2, 2007

  2. JWBH

    Ingeborg Guest

    JWBH wrote:

    > I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a 'corrupted file' in my
    > windows XP.
    >
    > I thought I would reinstall the XP from my original CD and start
    > afresh.
    >
    > Would anyone kindly explain to a novice the 'process' to save my
    > Outlook Express to a external portable hard drive, please.
    >
    > I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my 'cleaned
    > out' PC, but would like to be able to refer to any previous
    > correspondance and to be able to find email addresses if necessary.

    In OE, you can find the path of your mailbox(es) via Tools->Options->
    Maintenance->Store folder.
    When you look in this folder you will find a number of .dbx files. These
    contain your email. Before copieing, close IE.

    You can import these in your new installation using File->Import->Messages.

    Ingeborg, Jul 2, 2007

  3. JWBH

    JWBH Guest

    "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    > JWBH wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a 'corrupted file' in my
    >> windows XP.
    >>
    >> I thought I would reinstall the XP from my original CD and start
    >> afresh.
    >>
    >> Would anyone kindly explain to a novice the 'process' to save my
    >> Outlook Express to a external portable hard drive, please.
    >>
    >> I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my 'cleaned
    >> out' PC, but would like to be able to refer to any previous
    >> correspondance and to be able to find email addresses if necessary.

    > In OE, you can find the path of your mailbox(es) via Tools->Options->
    > Maintenance->Store folder.
    > When you look in this folder you will find a number of .dbx files. These
    > contain your email. Before copieing, close IE.
    >
    > You can import these in your new installation using
    > File->Import->Messages.

    Many thanks. After finding file location in Store Folder as you advised, I
    then went to: 'Start' > Search> typed in that file location and found five
    DBX came up in the Search window.

    When I opened them in Word to have a look at them, they seem very 'Scruffy'
    though. (i.e. not in the normal neat order).

    Anyway to copy them do I have to open them in a program like Word? Or can I
    do a 'right click' in the Search box and then select copy and transfer them
    straight to the external hard drive? Thanking you for any further
    guidance.

    JWBH, Jul 2, 2007
  4. JWBH

    dadiOH Guest

    JWBH wrote:
    > "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    >> JWBH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a 'corrupted file' in my
    >>> windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> I thought I would reinstall the XP from my original CD and start
    >>> afresh.
    >>>
    >>> Would anyone kindly explain to a novice the 'process' to save my
    >>> Outlook Express to a external portable hard drive, please.
    >>>
    >>> I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my
    >>> 'cleaned out' PC, but would like to be able to refer to any
    >>> previous correspondance and to be able to find email addresses
    >>> if necessary.

    >> In OE, you can find the path of your mailbox(es) via
    >> Tools->Options-> Maintenance->Store folder.
    >> When you look in this folder you will find a number of .dbx files.
    >> These contain your email. Before copieing, close IE.
    >>
    >> You can import these in your new installation using
    >> File->Import->Messages.

    > Many thanks. After finding file location in Store Folder as you
    > advised, I then went to: 'Start' > Search> typed in that file
    > location and found five DBX came up in the Search window.
    >
    > When I opened them in Word to have a look at them, they seem very
    > 'Scruffy' though. (i.e. not in the normal neat order).
    >
    > Anyway to copy them do I have to open them in a program like Word?
    > Or can I do a 'right click' in the Search box and then select copy
    > and transfer them straight to the external hard drive? Thanking
    > you for any further guidance.

    1. Select the emails you want to save in OE

    2. Drag them to a folder on your external drive. They will be stored
    there as discrete files (not ".dbx") and can be opened with any
    program that can normally open them.

    3. If you want to get them back to OE after reinstalling, just drag
    them to one or more of OE's pseudo folders..they will then be
    non-discrete files in the folder's .dbx file.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 2, 2007
  5. JWBH

    JockoBailey Guest

    "JWBH" <> wrote in message
    > I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a 'corrupted file' in my windows
    > XP.
    >
    > I thought I would reinstall the XP from my original CD and start afresh.
    >
    > Would anyone kindly explain to a novice the 'process' to save my Outlook
    > Express to a external portable hard drive, please.
    >
    > I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my 'cleaned out'

    PC,
    > but would like to be able to refer to any previous correspondance and to

    be
    > able to find email addresses if necessary. Thanks.

    How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/

    JockoBailey, Jul 2, 2007
  6. JWBH

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk

    You missed 'OE backup mail' or similar in your subject line.

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:39:58 GMT, JWBH wrote:

    Why didn't you ask on an OE group? It's not an XP general issue.

    >"Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    >> JWBH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a 'corrupted file' in my
    >>> windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> I thought I would reinstall the XP from my original CD and start
    >>> afresh.
    >>>
    >>> Would anyone kindly explain to a novice the 'process' to save my
    >>> Outlook Express to a external portable hard drive, please.
    >>>
    >>> I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my 'cleaned
    >>> out' PC, but would like to be able to refer to any previous
    >>> correspondance and to be able to find email addresses if necessary.

    >> In OE, you can find the path of your mailbox(es) via Tools->Options->
    >> Maintenance->Store folder.
    >> When you look in this folder you will find a number of .dbx files. These
    >> contain your email. Before copieing, close IE.
    >>
    >> You can import these in your new installation using
    >> File->Import->Messages.

    Ingeborg, mentioned File->Import also try File->Export from OE to export
    Address Book / Messages.

    >Many thanks. After finding file location in Store Folder as you advised, I
    >then went to: 'Start' > Search> typed in that file location and found five
    >DBX came up in the Search window.
    >
    >When I opened them in Word to have a look at them, they seem very 'Scruffy'
    >though. (i.e. not in the normal neat order).

    Why would you need to open an OE dbx file in Word? They wouldn't be
    normal neat order as it's not a Word file.

    >Anyway to copy them do I have to open them in a program like Word? Or can I

    Forget about the Word bit, OE and word are 2 different programs. You
    would have to export the OE files in a format Word can read.

    >do a 'right click' in the Search box and then select copy and transfer them
    >straight to the external hard drive? Thanking you for any further
    >guidance.

    Yes, that would work.

    However mentioned in 24HSHD in the past,

    Mike Easter and others have posted
    http://www.insideoe.com/
    Backup is an option on the top menu bar.

    From: "Barb" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Back up wizard for Outlook Express and Thunderbird
    Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:23:36 +0100

    Coincidentally, I also wanted an OE backup and downloaded this (free)
    this morning and it works fine!

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23384-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

    and this snippet,

    For OE just copy the folder where the data files are stored. Compress
    them with an archive utility like 7Zip, it's free. For Thunderbird do
    the same for the profile folders. No need for a backup utility.

    Jordon

    why?, Jul 2, 2007
  7. JWBH

    Rock Guest

    "JWBH" <> wrote
    >I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a 'corrupted file' in my windows
    >XP.
    >
    > I thought I would reinstall the XP from my original CD and start afresh.
    >
    > Would anyone kindly explain to a novice the 'process' to save my Outlook
    > Express to a external portable hard drive, please.
    >
    > I am not looking to necessarily return it back again to my 'cleaned out'
    > PC, but would like to be able to refer to any previous correspondance and
    > to be able to find email addresses if necessary. Thanks.

    FYI, there is a specific newsgroup for Outlook Express.

    This is a useful site for OE issues:
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

    --
    Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]