Transferring Thunderbird Mail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gort, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Gort

    Gort Guest

    I have a bunch of e-mails and newsgroup articles saved into Thunderbird
    Local Folders. I would like to move them elsewhere, but I can't find a
    way to do that. Thunderbird only allows Saves to its own folders, and I
    want to move them to another HDD to free up space.

    I have looked in Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird for the folders, but
    none show there.

    I upgraded to v.1.0, but it works the same as v.0.9, and Help for either
    does not address this problem.

    I'm hoping some kind soul will have a solution, and be willing to share it.

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

    Gort, Dec 9, 2004

  2. On 09 Dec 2004, Gort scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have a bunch of e-mails and newsgroup articles saved into
    > Thunderbird
    > Local Folders. I would like to move them elsewhere, but I can't
    > find a way to do that. Thunderbird only allows Saves to its own
    > folders, and I want to move them to another HDD to free up space.
    >
    > I have looked in Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird for the
    > folders, but
    > none show there.
    >
    > I upgraded to v.1.0, but it works the same as v.0.9, and Help
    > for either
    > does not address this problem.
    >
    > I'm hoping some kind soul will have a solution, and be
    > willing to share it.

    It doesn't look to be an easy thing to do, but take a peek:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Export
    _Outlook

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Gort

    Gort Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > On 09 Dec 2004, Gort scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> I have a bunch of e-mails and newsgroup articles saved into
    >> Thunderbird
    >>Local Folders. I would like to move them elsewhere, but I can't
    >>find a way to do that. Thunderbird only allows Saves to its own
    >>folders, and I want to move them to another HDD to free up space.
    >>
    >> I have looked in Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird for the
    >> folders, but
    >>none show there.
    >>
    >> I upgraded to v.1.0, but it works the same as v.0.9, and Help
    >> for either
    >>does not address this problem.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping some kind soul will have a solution, and be
    >> willing to share it.
    >>

    > It doesn't look to be an easy thing to do, but take a peek:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Export
    > _Outlook

    Thanks for trying, Sourdough.

    I guess that when they say "no support" they aren't kidding.
    I see two options that I can use. 1) burn those to CD, then delete from
    HDD, and/or start using OE again.
    At least OE does give you the ability to move files.

    Gort, Dec 9, 2004
  4. On 09 Dec 2004, Gort scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >> On 09 Dec 2004, Gort scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> snip
    >>>

    >> It doesn't look to be an easy thing to do, but take a peek:
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_E
    >> xport _Outlook
    >>

    > Thanks for trying, Sourdough.
    >
    > I guess that when they say "no support" they aren't kidding.
    > I see two options that I can use. 1) burn those to CD, then
    > delete from HDD, and/or start using OE again.
    > At least OE does give you the ability to move files.

    Yup. They didn't make it easy, did they? Reading that article, I
    thought it was a lot more trouble than it was worth. Ah well, nothings
    perfect, I guess. Maybe if enough people request it, a later version
    somewhere down the road will incorporate the ability to export a little
    more easily.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life