    question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only (exorbidant)
    price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he did not
    seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

    Mike O'sullivan, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Mike O'sullivan

    Trev Guest

    "Mike O'sullivan" <> wrote in message
    news:boqjae$8pe$...
    > I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
    > possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents

    of an
    > SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I

    don't
    > want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used.

    This
    > question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only

    (exorbidant)
    > price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he

    did not
    > seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

    You may find a Internet cafe that will burn a CD. The photo dealers
    will compress more and only use low resolution.

    Trev, Nov 11, 2003

  3. "Trev" <> wrote in message

    > You may find a Internet cafe that will burn a CD. The photo dealers
    > will compress more and only use low resolution.

    Interesting, thanks for the tip.

    Mike O'sullivan, Nov 11, 2003
  4. "Mike O'sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
    > possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents of

    an
    > SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I don't
    > want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used.

    This
    > question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only (exorbidant)
    > price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he did

    not
    > seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

    Sounds to me like there is a surplus capacity for producing photographic
    prints with the rise of digital photography. So any excuse to charge for
    some prints will do!

    Or may be a fiendish plan to charge for a very simple file transfer service
    as though he were processing a film, scanning negs etc.. I think he
    understood perfectly well!

    Isn't there now a gap in the market for a stand-alone CD writer with just a
    card reader or USB port?

    Laurence

    Laurence Wilmer, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Mike O'sullivan

    Brothermark Guest

    Mike O'sullivan wrote:

    >> You may find a Internet cafe that will burn a CD. The photo dealers
    >> will compress more and only use low resolution.

    > Interesting, thanks for the tip.

    2 options I'd consider:

    1. Take a laptop with you and upload your pics to the hard drive and then
    reuse the SD card
    2. Buy another SD card or 2.... or 3. You can get 512mb ones from ebay

    Brothermark, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Mike O'sullivan wrote:
    > I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
    > possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents of an
    > SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I don't
    > want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used. This
    > question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only (exorbidant)
    > price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he did not
    > seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

    Just returned from touring the UK on a tandem bicycle. No
    room for carrying any excess, so took two 512MB cards and had
    them straight copied to CDs. The first one was done for us by
    an internet cafe at Keswick for 2.50UKP and the second was
    done for us by a photo shop at Swindon for 0.00UKP and there
    were no prints involved at either place. The service is quite
    commonly available at either type of business but more readily
    at camera stores. So far I have experienced prices from zero
    to about A$16.00 (US$11.25).

    My advice would be to go there with either a second card, as I
    did, or look for a photo store or internet cafe a day or so
    before you expect to run out of memory.

    Hope this helps.

    Alan.

    Alan Hutchison, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Mike O'sullivan

    RAD Guest

    There is also another option other than using shops to copy your cards
    onto. That is getting one of the several, two I know of for certain,
    portable CD drives available. Then you can save your cards as they fill,
    and you don't need to watch and worry about running out of room on the
    card(s) you currently have.

    RAD

    RAD, Nov 12, 2003
  8. "Alan Hutchison" <> wrote in message

    > Just returned from touring the UK on a tandem bicycle. No
    > room for carrying any excess, so took two 512MB cards and had
    > them straight copied to CDs. The first one was done for us by
    > an internet cafe at Keswick for 2.50UKP and the second was
    > done for us by a photo shop at Swindon for 0.00UKP and there
    > were no prints involved at either place. The service is quite
    > commonly available at either type of business but more readily
    > at camera stores. So far I have experienced prices from zero
    > to about A$16.00 (US$11.25).
    >
    > My advice would be to go there with either a second card, as I
    > did, or look for a photo store or internet cafe a day or so
    > before you expect to run out of memory.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Yes indeed, good information. Thanks very much. (I hope I'm lucky enough to
    find a photo shop who'll do it for free!)

    Mike O'sullivan, Nov 12, 2003
  9. "RAD" <> wrote in message
    > There is also another option other than using shops to copy your cards
    > onto. That is getting one of the several, two I know of for certain,
    > portable CD drives available. Then you can save your cards as they fill,
    > and you don't need to watch and worry about running out of room on the
    > card(s) you currently have.

    Worth considering, thanks.

    Mike O'sullivan, Nov 12, 2003