Transferring Pix from CF card to computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Denny B, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. Denny B

    Denny B Guest

    My digital pictures are on a CF memory card.
    I have a card reader built into my recently
    purchased computer. OS is XP Hpme. To burn CD's
    installed on computer is Nero StartSmart.
    There is also Windows Media player.
    I assume Windows Media Player is for burning
    audio CD's and data.

    Last night I inserted CF card into reader slot
    and tried to burn the JPEG pictures onto a CD-R
    I could not accomplish this after many tries.
    I ended up transferring the CF card pictures to
    a file in My Documents. This worked OK.

    What is the correct procedure to transfer the
    CF memory card pictures first to the computer
    and then burn to a CD-R.
    Do you have to create a file on the computer
    hard drive.
    Is MY Computer file on the hard drive? Or somewhere
    else?

    Thanks in advance
    Denny B
    Denny B, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Denny B wrote:
    > My digital pictures are on a CF memory card.
    > I have a card reader built into my recently
    > purchased computer. OS is XP Hpme. To burn CD's
    > installed on computer is Nero StartSmart.
    > There is also Windows Media player.
    > I assume Windows Media Player is for burning
    > audio CD's and data.
    >
    > Last night I inserted CF card into reader slot
    > and tried to burn the JPEG pictures onto a CD-R
    > I could not accomplish this after many tries.
    > I ended up transferring the CF card pictures to
    > a file in My Documents. This worked OK.
    >
    > What is the correct procedure to transfer the
    > CF memory card pictures first to the computer
    > and then burn to a CD-R.
    > Do you have to create a file on the computer
    > hard drive.
    > Is MY Computer file on the hard drive? Or somewhere
    > else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    I usually transfer them to My Documents/My Pictures, or a sub-folder I have
    created under this folder.
    Dennis Pogson, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Denny B

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Denny B" <> wrote in message
    > My digital pictures are on a CF memory card.
    > I have a card reader built into my recently
    > purchased computer. OS is XP Hpme. To burn CD's
    > installed on computer is Nero StartSmart.
    > There is also Windows Media player.
    > I assume Windows Media Player is for burning
    > audio CD's and data.
    >
    > Last night I inserted CF card into reader slot
    > and tried to burn the JPEG pictures onto a CD-R
    > I could not accomplish this after many tries.
    > I ended up transferring the CF card pictures to
    > a file in My Documents. This worked OK.
    >
    > What is the correct procedure to transfer the
    > CF memory card pictures first to the computer
    > and then burn to a CD-R.
    > Do you have to create a file on the computer
    > hard drive.
    > Is MY Computer file on the hard drive? Or somewhere
    > else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    To burn directly from CF card to a blank CD, you first need to check to see
    if the CD drive is setup for this. Its not the same as using Nero.

    From Mycomputer, highlight the CD drive icon, then right click on it and
    select Properties. Under the Recording tab, select Enable CD Recording On
    This Drive.

    Now when you copy and paste (or drop and drag), it should work.. It works
    for me.

    Email me at rudy at rudybenner dot com and let me know if all is well or
    not.
    Rudy Benner, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Denny B

    Jock Guest

    A file is a digital object such as a text document, movie, audio file or
    photo - whatever.
    A folder is where the files live. Liken the PC to a filing cabinet and the
    folders with within the cabinet are folders. Each folder has it's own
    descriptive name, no 2 can be the same name at the same level.
    In 'My Computer', the CF card appears as just another drive on your PC so
    create a folder (call it 'temp image dump' maybe?) in My Docs, copy or move
    all the image files to that folder from the CF 'drive' and then in Nero,
    select the data CD option, select all the files in the temp folder to the CD
    compilation and follow the prompts to burn the CD.
    Up to you what you do with the CF and temp folder's contents but you can
    work that out.
    Jock

    Jock, Jul 4, 2006
  5. Denny B

    Marvin Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > My digital pictures are on a CF memory card.
    > I have a card reader built into my recently
    > purchased computer. OS is XP Hpme. To burn CD's
    > installed on computer is Nero StartSmart.
    > There is also Windows Media player.
    > I assume Windows Media Player is for burning
    > audio CD's and data.
    >
    > Last night I inserted CF card into reader slot
    > and tried to burn the JPEG pictures onto a CD-R
    > I could not accomplish this after many tries.
    > I ended up transferring the CF card pictures to
    > a file in My Documents. This worked OK.
    >
    > What is the correct procedure to transfer the
    > CF memory card pictures first to the computer
    > and then burn to a CD-R.
    > Do you have to create a file on the computer
    > hard drive.
    > Is MY Computer file on the hard drive? Or somewhere
    > else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    The process of copying or moving files to a CD can get
    messed up if the files aren't available to the CD burner in
    a timely way. You are probably having trouble because the
    transfer from the card reader is too slow. Copying from
    card to HD, then to CD should work easily.

    "My Computer" is the name of a program on your HD that
    indexes drives, including hard drives, disk drives, and
    devices such as a card reader. That includes drives on your
    computer and others that are available to your computer
    through a network.
    Marvin, Jul 4, 2006
  6. Denny B

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > My digital pictures are on a CF memory card.
    > I have a card reader built into my recently
    > purchased computer. OS is XP Hpme. To burn CD's
    > installed on computer is Nero StartSmart.
    > There is also Windows Media player.
    > I assume Windows Media Player is for burning
    > audio CD's and data.
    >
    > Last night I inserted CF card into reader slot
    > and tried to burn the JPEG pictures onto a CD-R
    > I could not accomplish this after many tries.
    > I ended up transferring the CF card pictures to
    > a file in My Documents. This worked OK.
    >
    > What is the correct procedure to transfer the
    > CF memory card pictures first to the computer
    > and then burn to a CD-R.
    > Do you have to create a file on the computer
    > hard drive.
    > Is MY Computer file on the hard drive? Or somewhere
    > else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    To simplify: First copy your pictures from the flash card to the HD.
    Then drag the pictures you want onto the CD drive icon in windows
    Explorer. This will bring up the CDR writing feature of XP, and you can
    let it write the pictures to the CD. It is never a good idea to have
    the computer doing anything while trying to write to CD as this is a
    time critical operation. Newer, faster computers, and better CD drives
    have made the process more reliable, but it never hurts to err on the
    side of care.

    As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory at
    all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 4, 2006
  7. Denny B

    Marvin Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    <snip>

    > As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory at
    > all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.

    It is indeed a program, the Win XP equivalent of Windows
    Explorer.
    Marvin, Jul 5, 2006
  8. Denny B

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory
    >> at all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.

    > It is indeed a program, the Win XP equivalent of Windows Explorer.

    NOT!
    It is a virtual folder that contains (or displays) all the devices on
    the WinXP computer.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 6, 2006
  9. Denny B

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Marvin wrote:
    > > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > > <snip>
    > >>
    > >> As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory
    > >> at all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.

    > > It is indeed a program, the Win XP equivalent of Windows Explorer.

    > NOT!
    > It is a virtual folder that contains (or displays) all the devices on
    > the WinXP computer.

    My Computer is simply the icon for you internal hard disc.

    Better to partition your drive and leave all that Windows stuff (and
    apps) within My Computer and save all your work to the partition.

    Or you could do it the 'Mac way' and keep all your work on the desktop.

    The safer alternative would be an external drive - either Firewire or
    the faster USB 2 -a friend recently bought a Toshiba 250gb drive for £79
    so they're not that expensive.
    Stewy, Jul 11, 2006